Paying without credit card

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

well credit cards arent really safe either, you take 2 pictures (or just one in case of an AMEX) or you just hack someone who has CC Data and use that to have some fun. also some places dont even require the confirmation number, amazon for example.

@My1: Ha! Fair enough. I guess what I meant was, at least in my experience, consumer protections are better for credit cards. If I get fraudulent charges on my credit card, I can easily get those removed. If someone empties out my bank account, while some banks will help with this, in many cases it's "tough luck". But you're right that this may not be the case everywhere, depending on local laws, and bank policies.

with paypal on the other hand you can create merchant credentials for taking money more often (for example in steam) or you can just get specific payments (or subscriptions which will be automatically be redone from paypal) and that's it. nobody gets a "master key" to get your money anywhere.

That's true. And PayPal offers a great experience for buyers for the most part...but I've had too many issues with them as a seller and know others who've had their accounts and all funds frozen due to scammers. There just isn't a good system in place to get these issues resolved, and it seems like this is largely unregulated.

even if someone would get access to the payment permission token I have given steam, it wont help them unless they get paypal open as well.

Yep. very true. I use PayPal for a lot of stuff like that too.

relying on static information which cannot change to identify someone or to throw money around hasnt been a good Idea, it's the same crap as with those Social Security numbers or whatever, where as far as I read the knowledge of it is enough to assume the Identity of a person, which is just crazy especially since that number cant change, which is even worse consdiering that iirc with the Equifax hack those numbers were leaked as well.

I couldn't agree more. Unfortunately this is the system in place. The good news is that there are a lot of ways to get prepaid credit cards that eliminate most of the risks or difficulties involved with traditional credit.

long story short pulling from bank isnt the most secure way to do it, credit cards either but that's why there are things like paypal. the merchant doesnt need to worry about how to store payment data properly and safely (and most importantly, what NOT to store in the first place, like the confirmation number of the CC) because someone else is doing that for you.

There are other concerns, as I outlined above, but for us right now it mostly comes down to us focusing on the options that work for most people. I'm sure we can expand in the future. There's just a lot more work that has to be done first. We literally don't have anyone available to work on implementing and testing additional payment options until they finish other projects. If nothing else, I'd like PayPal so I can use my Discover card. :tongue:

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited October 2017

I couldn't agree more. Unfortunately this is the system in place. The good news is that there are a lot of ways to get prepaid credit cards that eliminate most of the risks or difficulties involved with traditional credit.

I suppose that for anyone without a credit card, will Apple or Google do? There are stored value iTunes and Android cards which can be used to pay from anything from the Apple or Android ecosystem. Presumably subscriptions too, right?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@wkleem: I always forget that, but it's a good point. While we don't have a way to do subscribe directly in 1Password for Android through Google Play yet, it's definitely something we want to do. 1Password for iOS and Mac both already support App Store/iTunes subscriptions through Apple. :)

• My1
    My1
    Community Member

well that would certainly be a way. users can use paypal on android and on both you might be able to go on with giftcards, aka pay with whatever you can. only problem is users who only use it on win but aside from that it isnt a bad idea.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Yeah it offers some flexibility. Definitely will help to have something similar in place on Android, and perhaps the Windows Store someday (though I don't know that the latter is possible yet). Cheers! :)

• My1
    My1
    Community Member

win store wont be a good option before 2020 (and depending on how you make the app not until 2023) because there are more than enough people who certainly dont want win10, for example because of it's spying junk and stuff.

• Ideally one day we'd have good options for all stores in addition to more payment methods on our website. It takes time to develop all of these things.

Rick

• mc_lobster
    mc_lobster
    Community Member

So can someone walk me through the process of buying a subscription through iTunes or Apple AppStore coming from the trial period?

The only thing I ever seem to find is the payment details screen on how many more days I have left on my trial and that prompts me to enter my CC details, which, for reasons that other people mentioned above, I don't have and not going to have in the future.

I also found this: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202039. However, this only helps me to manage existing subscriptions, but not to create a new one.

• @mc_lobster: You do this in your 1Password app.

On iOS:

1. Open and unlock 1Password.
    2. Tap Settings > Account > Your Account.
    3. Tap Subscribe now for [Price].

On Mac, you'll need to have 1Password installed from the App Store to do this:

1. Open and unlock 1Password.
    2. Choose 1Password menu > Preferences.
    3. Click the Accounts icon and select your account.
    4. Select your account and click the Subscribe now for [Price] link.

Based upon your description, I suspect you installed 1Password for Mac from our downloads page, so subscribing via the iOS app may be the easier route for you. :+1:

• Someone_else
    Someone_else
    Community Member

Paypal support would be great. As a finnish person, who currently doesn't have credit card, I'm at a bit hard situation. I would like to use 1password, but after the free trial, I may have to abandon it, if I cannot buy from you. As I search whether you support paypal, I encountered quite a many requests for it. Or any other way to pay without CC. I find it quite a curious you willingly restrict your client base.

Hmm... It seems I could also buy through iTunes, but that 79% increase in price is fairly detestable. (Price actually is not the problem, you punishing the customer for not doing exactly as you want is the problem. 30% increase in price would be understandable, but 79% is BS.)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Paypal support would be great. As a finnish person, who currently doesn't have credit card, I'm at a bit hard situation. I would like to use 1password, but after the free trial, I may have to abandon it, if I cannot buy from you. As I search whether you support paypal, I encountered quite a many requests for it. Or any other way to pay without CC. I find it quite a curious you willingly restrict your client base.

@Someone_else: Thanks for the feedback. In fact, this is not a case of us choosing to "restrict" anything, but rather that these are the payment methods we can support now and perhaps we can add others in the future. So it's definitely helpful to know that you would prefer PayPal (though that comes with its own problems).

Hmm... It seems I could also buy through iTunes, but that 79% increase in price is fairly detestable. (Price actually is not the problem, you punishing the customer for not doing exactly as you want is the problem. 30% increase in price would be understandable, but 79% is BS.)

We also do not "increase" price through iTunes. In fact, with the exception of Apple's pricing tiers, which are a stand in for constantly fluctuating exchange rates, our pricing is the same between iTunes and our own website. But you need to take the following into account:

• iTunes subscription prices are in local currency; our website is not.
    • iTunes subscription prices include all applicable tax; our website cannot show you this upfront because it doesn't know your billing area.

If, after accounting for that, you're still seeing a large discrepancy, please let us — and Apple — know. It's possible they need to update their pricing tiers to better account for exchange rates, and we'd also like to know about it. Cheers! :)

• Someone_else
    Someone_else
    Community Member

Thank you Brenty.

P.S. I have heard only good about your software, and that your customer service is fast and good. First I believe and latter I agree from my own experience now.

• Thanks for the kind words, @Someone_else. :)

Ben

• techdaily24x7
    techdaily24x7
    Community Member

Pretty interesting discussion here. I just signed up for 1password subscription today after using the standalone app via dropbox sync for over 3 yrs. Anyway I bought it using credit card from inside the app itself but yes a method via paypal will be great. Also for other here, you can purchase via apple store also or google play. That way you can centrally see everything as well as pay using paypal (google play supports paypal).

• Thanks for chiming in, @techdaily24x7.

Ben

• msxtj
    msxtj
    Community Member

What's the latest status?
    How can I pay for the software? Credit card is NOT an option for me right now.

Note: If you intend to reply, CC is the only thing we have, you might as well reply "we are cool with killing our business :)"

• @msxtj

Thanks for your interest in 1Password.

What's the latest status?
    How can I pay for the software? Credit card is NOT an option for me right now.

If you are interested in a 1Password membership (recommended) you can subscribe through our website (using a credit card), subscribe through Apple (if you have an Apple device; using any of the payment methods they support for subscriptions), or purchase a 1Password.com gift card (using credit card or PayPal):

Give a gift of strong, secure passwords | 1Password

If you're looking at a standalone license instead those are sold by FastSpring. They accept various payment methods depending on which country you're located in. You can read more about what payment methods they accept here:

Payment Methods Accepted by FastSpring - Knowledge Base

(see the "Available Payment Methods for Single Payment Transactions" column)

Note: If you intend to reply, CC is the only thing we have, you might as well reply "we are cool with killing our business :)"

We understand that any single form of payment method is not likely to work for all customers, and we'd like to expand what options are available in the future. Unfortunately that is a little more difficult than flipping a switch, and frankly demand for it has been relatively low. We currently have other priorities that we're focused on. But when some development time frees up we may be able to offer some additional options for subscription payments.

Thanks. :)

Ben

• My1
    My1
    Community Member

@Ben while I cant say it's the best or easiest way of doing it, doing Giftcards over Paypal is at least an option, that is somehow helpful (I used that for spotify in the past literally all the time).

also it has the benefit of cost control, without staying in a self-renewing subscription.

• Thanks for the feedback @My1. Glad to hear that option has proven useful for you.

Ben

• msxtj
    msxtj
    Community Member

Hi @Ben, the giftcard with PayPal seems to be an option. The problem is that you only have fixed amounts like $50 or $100, when my annual subscription is slightly over 50. Two gift cards for $50 and $10 would work but the smallest card is $25. Not too optimal.

I would strongly suggest that you push this customer request to the management at 1Password. The first customer on this thread asked that question in July 2016. It's been two years now that you only accept one form of Payment (credit card). I do not have an Apple device, so for me, CC is your only mode of payment I see. And the gift cards also are complicated as in this case, I'd be using part of the credit on the gift card, and a year later, I will surely forget that I have some credit pending somewhere on a gift card, just like I forget my passwords. Pun eh.

You've got to do better than the competition. Please inform the management. Dashlane takes Paypal for annual membership payments, see here: https://support.dashlane.com/hc/en-us/articles/202625382-How-to-purchase-Dashlane-Premium-

"Accepting PayPal has been shown to increase checkout conversion by ~10%." - source is dubious, but I read this here: https://www.quora.com/Can-customers-pay-with-PayPal-via-Stripes-API

I have my trial membership expiring in 6 days, and no satisfactory means to renew the membership, just saying :)

• Thanks for taking the time to share your perspective, @msxtj. Management is well aware of the request for additional payment forms. Adding additional options for subscriptions is much more complex than a one-time purchase such as a gift card. It is something we’d like to do in the future, but I can say it isn’t coming in the next 6 days unfortunately.

Ben

• My1
    My1
    Community Member

well it's not something I will use as I prefer password managers where I have control over what stuff goes where and so on (for example storing into a nice little nextcloud or some other place that is not linked to the password maker [because these are obviously big targets for hackers while unless something crazy goes on small cloud places arent as big of a target]), also something I really love with some password managers (no Idea how 1pw looks on that perspective) is that the db format is open enough that you can take a local backup (which also is an important thing imo) and open that up with the right tools if you know what you are doing, making it basically future proof as no matter what happens to the software, company or whatever, you still have a way to get into your data, which considering the history of enough IT things where stuff is deprecated, phased out, abandones etc literally all the time, is something I personally want to be prepared against, and therefore an online PW manager is not really something for me.

obviously this does not mean 1pw is bad in general. the time I trialed it it wasnt too bad it's just different people have different requirements, and mine are usually not really hit by the mainstream (phones with micro SD slots or replacable batteries are getting more and more rare nowadays, just as another example)

frankly speaking I have no Idea about how good 1pw has become with a local copy and/or open-enough-to-decrypt-yourself format, the last main thing that I still remember and didn't really like was that with 1pw6 the focus shifted a LOT to online storage and accounts.

btw ben you said something that heavily implies that the standalone versions still exist, werent they iirc no longer made? the website also doesnt seem to have much about the standalone version.

• My1
    My1
    Community Member

@Ben well subscriptions are harder but wouldnt it have helped to for example "buy a year" as a giftcard instead of arbitrary amounts that are semi-useless?

• @My1

We’re getting a bit off topic here but it is possible to purchase a standalone license for 1Password 7, yes. There are a number of threads here about it. :) I’d be happy to help if you have questions you haven’t already found answers to in other threads but please start a new thread.

As for the amounts on the gift cards... there are a lot of variables that affect the amount someone might be paying each month or year and so there is never going to be a “one size fits all” solution when it comes to gift cards.

Ben

• My1
    My1
    Community Member

I see, but one could for example implement inside the account a "pay this year" option which basically could start a one-time payment at paypal for the needed amount to keep the acc alive for a year.

• @My1

Thanks for the suggestion. :)

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

And the gift cards also are complicated as in this case, I'd be using part of the credit on the gift card, and a year later, I will surely forget that I have some credit pending somewhere on a gift card, just like I forget my passwords. Pun eh.

@msxtj: It doesn't matter if you forget. 1Password doesn't. When you add a gift card to your account, any remaining balance stays there and is used first before charging anything else, even if a credit card is setup there. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I see, but one could for example implement inside the account a "pay this year" option which basically could start a one-time payment at paypal for the needed amount to keep the acc alive for a year.

@My1: That's essentially how it works. When you pay for an annual subscription, you can then remove the credit card from the account and you won't be billed automatically the next year. :)

• My1
    My1
    Community Member

@brenty well but this obviously wont help users without CC.
    ben said doing subscriptions over paypal isnt really easy, and while for cc you can simulate a one-off payment by adding a cc and removing it, a "buy a year" button which just buys the year once without any subscription code could probably made a lot easier (as it would work similar to the gift card processing) and therefore could be done with paypal.

• msxtj
    msxtj
    Community Member

@brenty Yes, but as a customer with options, I would like to be able to move to another service if things go south with one certain service. Me subscribing this time is the last chance I gave to 1password (I had bought standalone versions for 1password 4 windows and 1password 6 Mac in the past until standalone licenses became redundant in favor of subscriptions. I was very upset about that). But let's not talk about that on this thread, I know many people raised their voice on that in other threads. If another mess like that happens, people will surely move on, forever.

Coming back to my issue with gift cards, if I have pending credit and I notice that major issues that bother me a bit aren't fixed, I'll consider moving to a different platform. I am not sure I'll be able to cash out pending credit on a gift card (which I may have forgotten). That's why gift cards are not an option for me right now.

This discussion has been closed.