Copying vaults

Options
rlgleason51
rlgleason51
Community Member

I have an iMac and MacBook Pro running the latest versions of 1P and Elcapitan. I'm also using iCloud sync. I created a vault on my iMac named 'archived' where I store records I no longer want to keep in my primary vault, but also do not want to delete.

Knowing that vaults cannot, as yet, be synced via iCloud, is there any way to copy my 'archives' vault to my laptop, short of changing my sync method? It gets tiresome running downstairs to move records to the vault when I am on my laptop. Being able to copy back and forth would be helpful.

Thanks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Copying vau

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rlgleason51

I'm glad to hear you've been doing some cleaning in 1Password! iCloud Sync can only be used with the Primary Vault, however you can keep your primary vault synced via iCloud and sync the "Archived" one via Dropbox. You can find out how to do it here: https://support.1password.com/sync-options/#sync-it-yourself-with-icloud-or-dropbox

Alternatively, you can sync via folder. This is a bit more complicated, but you can keep a USB plugged into your computer and sync via folder, then when you use the other computer plug the USB there. The instruction for this can be found here: https://support.1password.com/sync-options/#sync-to-a-folder

Please let us know if you try either of these options, and how they work for you. If you have any other questions, we're here for you! :chuffed:

• rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member
    Options

Pilar: Thanks. I always thought that the syncing method was all or nothing: Either it was all iCloud, all dropbox or all something else. I will look into syncing my Archives vault using dropbox.

Are there any 'gotchas' I should be aware of when using both iCloud and dropbox sync?

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rlgleason51

You always have control over your data! You decide whether you want to sync it and how, and combining syncing options is fairly common. When you go to "Sync" on Preferences you'll see that you're able to choose the vault that you want, it should all work smoothly for you. There's nothing in particular to be aware of when using both syncing methods, but if you happen to have any trouble while setting it up just let us know and we'll help you figure it out :chuffed:

• rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member
    Options

Pilar: Following the instructions but seem to have hit a "I don't know what to do next" situation. The attached screen shot shows where I am now. What do I do next? Select cancel? Create New? Wait?

• rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member
    Options

Pilar: Never mind. Just read ahead where instructions say to basically wait. Duh!

• rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

Pilar: I'm back. Is 15 minutes too long to wait for the process to complete? Or am still missing a step? Of course: I forgot to 'click' Create New.

I need some coffee real bad.

• rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member
    Options

Had coffee. Successfully synced dropbox with my two Macs, life is good.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks wonderful news (on both counts: coffee and successful syncing)! :)

Have a great rest of your week!

This discussion has been closed.