Keeping Vaults current

Options
rlgleason51
rlgleason51
Community Member

Having just successfully sync'd my "Archives" vault to my other computer, I have another question.

I keep records for wife in my 1P, (she also has the records in her 1P) and have them identified by Tags. What advantages if any, would there be in creating a vault and moving her records there, as opposed to using tags?

If I copied them, would they be linked to the records in the primary vault so if I updated the primary record, the vault record would also be updated? If not, I would then have to make duplicate updates, correct? Or could I just move the tag to the vault have the changes be updated and the non-changed records ignored?

Thanks

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: iCloud & dropbox

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rlgleason51

I'm glad to see that you got your second vault nicely syncing with Dropbox! I'd love to help you find the best solution for you and your wife.

What advantages if any, would there be in creating a vault and moving her records there, as opposed to using tags?

An advantage would be that you can exclude that vault from your "All vaults list", and not need to see her items unless you specifically need them for example. A disadvantage is that you'd need to set up syncing for yet one more vault.

If I copied them, would they be linked to the records in the primary vault so if I updated the primary record, the vault record would also be updated? If not, I would then have to make duplicate updates, correct?

You are correct, when you copy the items they become completely separate entities and changes to one do not apply to changes on another one.

Or could I just move the tag to the vault have the changes be updated and the non-changed records ignored?

You could just move the item into the new vault, instead of copying it, and just keep one version of it.

Now, I would like to tell you about 1Password Families in case you don't know about it. It sounds to me like it would simplify all this for you and make your life much easier! You each would be able to have as many vaults as you want and not worry about syncing. In addition to that you can have a shared vault with your wife, so all the items you talk about would be easily available for both of you. Even more, you can have a recovery plan together, so if one of you gets locked out of your accounts the other can help restore it! You can read everything about 1Password Families here: https://1password.com/families/.

Please let us know if you have any other questions or if there's anything else that we can help you with :chuffed:

• rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your reply. I figured as much, but one has to ask.

I know about the 'families' option, but as I said in another post, as a general rule, I don't like software subscriptions. Plus I am retired on a fixed income so I monitor my monthly expenses carefully.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rlgleason51,

I’m glad to see that Pilar was able to answer your question.

If you’re not a fan of software subscriptions, don’t worry! The standalone licenses are not going anywhere, and we’re happy to continue to support them as long as you use them. There may be some things that the 1Password accounts are able to do a bit easier, due to the new and shiny architecture we’ve built there, but we’re happy to help you sort out any challenges you come across with 1Password, no matter how you purchased. :)

This discussion has been closed.