How About Microsoft Edge Extension Support [In Progress]

Options

Comments

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @nastav,

would you be revisiting fixes for browser auto-type problems?

Which problem do you mean? Auto-type is tuned for regular desktop programs, not web browser for which we have extensions for.

Are you referring to the first character being missed when typing into Edge?

• nastav
    nastav
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, that's the one which has been discussed in more detail at https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/52428/auto-type-starts-too-fast-and-needs-to-learn-patience-with-microsoft-edge.

I'm hoping to see a best-effort support for Edge. Extension support would be ideal, but the next best thing might be improved auto-type support.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @nastav,

Ah yes, the UWP+Auto-Type issue. It is on our list to improve but given that most of our resources are going into 1Password 6 Beta that doesn't have auto-type feature implemented, I suspect we will likely build a brand new Auto-Type implementation that works better there than improving auto-type in 1Password 4.

• jessebruffett
    jessebruffett
    Community Member
    Options

I just want to toss my 2 cents in here. i get that dealing with 3rd party API's are a pain in the butt, and i also get that they arent fast or easy to write. im the head sysadmin for a decent sized software company so i really do get it. I would LOVE an extension from Edge. im not its biggest fan, im much more a fan of Chrome but its a battery killer so when im working with my laptop on battery i have to use edge otherwise im always needing to be near a power outlet, with Edge im able to almost double my battery life. In the mean time ive been having to keep up with my 1password account and my lastpass account and try and keep the 2 synced so i can have my passwords and the conviennce in Edge that i like in Chrome. Several of my colleagues are in the same boat. So please please please keep this as a priority. its really annoying paying for 2 password managers and having to try and keep them both up to date. Thanks guys!

Oh and i though we were getting a gold master release in August? its not september. any eta on when we will have one? as a matter of policy i cant deploy beta software on company machines except my department so i have several other PC users in the company who would like access to the 1password teams account but they are in a holding pattern.

• HalfBekend
    HalfBekend
    Community Member
    Options

What is the status of an extension for Edge currently now that the new 1Password for Windows is out?

• @HalfBekend There is no new on this unfortunately. We're still waiting on word from Microsoft that the APIs we need are in place.

We are very sorry for the inconvenience. We would love to have this feature in 1Password already.

@jessebruffett We planned on an August release of the first stable version but a few things got in the way. Among them was a big improvement to 1Password's database that was made possible by new tools from Microsoft which we jumped at because it makes the app more stable and a lot faster. The stable release will come very soon, though. Very soon.

• Dig_Doug
    Dig_Doug
    Community Member
    Options

Any update here guys? If Edge and IE both aren't supported on Windows, us in the corporate world (who are tied by our employers to Microsoft's out-of-the-box tools) are SOL

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Dig_Doug: No real news at this time, but it sounds like Microsoft may be making some changes that could help. I'm cautiously optimistic, but I'm sorry I don't have a better answer for your browser woes yet. :blush:

• tmikus
    tmikus
    Community Member
    Options

Just as a suggestion guys:
    How about having 1Password expose a websocket connection which could then be used by the extension to get, save passwords and monitor status of 1Password app?
    I see LastPass did their extension. Not sure about the implementation details, though.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tmikus: Unfortunately Edge does not allow local WebSocket connections, but we're looking at alternatives methods. Frankly, we'd really like to be able to use 1Password with Edge ourselves. ;)

• robcoh
    robcoh
    Community Member
    Options

Another voice here hoping you'll find a way to get out an Edge extension soon. The battery life issue is also my main reason for using Edge from time to time. Please find a way to stay in the game now that LastPass has upped their game not just with the extension but with free plans that include some 2FA.

I'd like to see 1Password enable 2FA, preferably with a choice between Yubikey and an app like Google Authenticator. I use mine for Google Apps. And I see that Yubico is coming out with an app to use with Windows Hello. Authentication with a physical device plus password is a concept easy to convey to end users to increase adoption of solutions like 1Password.

Best of luck getting Microsoft to work with you on this. Love your product.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@robcoh: Thank you so much for the encouraging words! I think it's safe to say that it's frustrating for everyone that 1Password doesn't yet support Edge, so it's greatly appreciated.

Windows Hello is also something we'd like to support in a future version 1Password, and while multifactor couldn't really work with a standalone app, it's something we're exploring for the subscription service, since that has a server component which could be used for authentication. Thanks for letting us know you'd be interested in these features, and for supporting 1Password. :chuffed:

• DotPdf
    DotPdf
    Community Member
    Options

Hello! I just wanted to express my support for a 1Password Edge extension. I am switching away from Chrome to Edge on all of my Windows PCs and need a 1Password Edge extension in order to actually be productive. I've been copy and pasting passwords so far but I'm most likely going to be switching to Lastpass (because it works on every platform that I use) until a 1Password Edge extension is released. It's a shame too because I've purchased all of the 1Password apps over the years and was seriously considering subscribing. 1Password has been the best password manager that I've ever used and I actually switched to it from Lastpass years ago because of how polished the apps were.

I understand that things are kind of out of your hands at the moment, but I hope you keep this as a high priority if things change in the future so I can come running back to this amazing service.

• Hi @DotPdf,

As soon as it is possible, even with very limited features, we would definitely ship the extension for Edge. At the very least, we should support the default browser on each platform we're on.

• h00ligan
    h00ligan
    Community Member
    Options

given this thread is result one when searching i have to ask if any progress has been made or if itis dead as previously disxussed. unfortunately other browsers are terrible on surface pro the touch keybosrd barely functions hence the problems with this reply

right now i feel very much stuck as i rely on 1p

i suppose there are bookmarklets like last passmoffers if inget your cloud product? st least then there is some kind of solution even though inhave no fsmily or team tomshare and own 1p on every platform and dont wsnt to centralkze my data with a bunch of other custkmers creating a tempting giant target

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@h00ligan: Thanks for checking in! We don't have anything new to add since Sunday. It isn't possible for the 1Password browser extension to work in Edge currently without breaking the restrictions Microsoft has in place, but we're exploring alternatives for the future.

Regarding other browsers, I definitely agree that Edge has some advantages — especially on mobile devices like my Surface Pro 4 — but I also very much rely on 1Password and use it in Chrome, Firefox, and Opera regularly (among others) and haven't encountered keyboard issues. I'm not sure that's something we can help with if the browser itself is the cause, but if you'll let me know more about the issue you're having maybe there's something I can suggest. Cheers! :)

• WGFinley
    WGFinley
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks so much for the candor in this forum @MikeT , it shows how much you guys care about your users and why I've been loyal to your product. I'm a long time Mac guy giving Windows a whirl and I really like Edge, I'm hopeful Microsoft can work with you on making an extension happen.

• kurtd
    kurtd
    Community Member
    Options

@WGFinley Welcome to Windows!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@WGFinley, @kurtd: While there still isn't much news in this area, you may be interested in a tweet I saw earlier:

AgileBits and Microsoft's Edge team are working together to bring the 1Password extension to Edge. We don't have everything we need yet, but we're excited that the Edge team is working on closing those gaps. Cheers! :)

• Kristian
    Kristian
    Community Member
    Options

AgileBits and Microsoft's Edge team are working together to bring the 1Password extension to Edge

Great! That are very good news!

• architect1337
    architect1337
    Community Member
    Options

I will say I'm surprised by a lot of people on here as to how they are happy to switch between password manager companies with their holy grail of data. To me - the software is only one part of the puzzle. The company behind it, it's coders, it's ethics are far more important. It would be so easy for a ruthless company / programmer to inject some sort of code into password management programs to leak passwords and allow passwords to be stolen.

I've been using 1Password for a long time and have seen Agilebits grow. Of course - you can't be 100% sure - but Agilebits seems like a trustworthy company and I would certainly trust it over a venture capital owned company or a small independent.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Kristian: It isn't anything like announcing an actual working extension — even a prerelease version — but I'm glad that we're able to say that we're working on it. :chuffed:

@architect1337: Thank you for the kind words! It really means a lot that you trust 1Password (and, by extension, AgileBits) to store your most important data. And by the same token, we're very conscious of the fact that it's a trust we must continue to earn. We couldn't do what we do without the support of you and the rest of our awesome customers! :blush:

• david_l
    david_l
    Community Member
    Options

Glad that it seems like something is coming along. Any chance it might be ready by the end of 2016?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm optimistic, but not that optimistic. This is a busy time of year for both companies, after all. But I'd be happy to be proven wrong. If we can pull it off, that would be a neat gift for all of us who love Edge! :)

• jedicpa
    jedicpa
    Community Member
    Options

Hope this extension is on its way soon. With MS discontinuing support for explorer there are going to be a lot of websites especially government that will probably switch over to edge.

• edgrsanchez
    edgrsanchez
    Community Member
    Options

Looking forward to this as well.

Not only Edge support but proper support for multiple vaults on Windows, similar to how they're handled on macOS.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hope this extension is on its way soon. With MS discontinuing support for explorer there are going to be a lot of websites especially government that will probably switch over to edge.

@jedicpa: I think you may be right, and that's probably why the Edge team seems to be making a big push on the extension support. At least...I really hope you're right about large organizations moving away from Internet Explorer. Finally! :lol:

Looking forward to this as well. Not only Edge support but proper support for multiple vaults on Windows, similar to how they're handled on macOS.

@edgrsanchez: The new 1Password 6 Windows app already supports multiple vaults, but yeah...if you're holding out for full local vault support we're not there yet. If so, I'm sorry for the wait, and I'm also looking forward to having that complete. If nothing else, the new app will become more mature during this phase as well, and that will benefit everyone. :)

• chad_mcdonald
    chad_mcdonald
    Community Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

Any more news on this? I'm using Google Chrome on my Windows machine but I would really like to switch to Edge, without 1Password though It would be too frustrating to work! I guess that is a nice compliment for 1Ppassword. Just checking in to see if there is any more recent development since it's been about a month since the last post.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @chad_mcdonald,

We are getting closer, but I still don't have any timeframe for you. There are many other under the hood changes coming with it and we are working really hard. Thank you for your interest! We can't wait for 1Password to come to Edge ourselves! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• Merriman
    Merriman
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Folks,

I'm wondering how this is going, and if there's any update? I used to use 1Password ages ago and stopped due to the lack of a good Windows client and moved to Dashlane, where I pay for a premium account. The lack of a Microsoft Edge extension in Dashlane, and the complete silence on their behalf, has lead me to look around for something that's truly cross-platform/cross-browser, and the only one I've been able to find so far is LastPass. The only problem is, I really can't stand the LastPass UI/UX - it's not as intuitive as 1Password (or Dashlane for that matter), but since my company is looking to standardize on Edge at the moment it's looking like LastPass is my only option. Unless you folks can give me some news on Edge support for 1Password - if you're looking for Beta testers I'm happy to volunteer - it'll get extensive testing across multiple PCs :)

This discussion has been closed.