Extension will be outdated in Firefox 57 [version 4.6.9 extension is WebExtension compatible]

Options
1235»

Comments

• a2sheppy
    a2sheppy
    Community Member
    Options

@jxpx777 - Yeah, we only shimmed the top X% most used APIs (leaving out some which just couldn't be done at all as well).

The switch to WebExt..er... BrowserExtensions (apparently they have a new name) involves some give-and-take. They aren't as all-powerful as the old Firefox add-ons were, but the flexibility and potential for cross-browser compatibility is a big deal. So is not having to learn new languages to make them work. :)

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Agreed, @a2sheppy! We're very excited about the new approach, by whatever name we call it. (WebExtensions was already confusing and now "BrowserExtensions"… Ugh…)

• mgol
    mgol
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty I know passwords are not stored in the extension but immediately after installation the user is prompted to pair the extension with 1Password (it requires typing a one-time token or sth like that IIRC) so it does keep this little piece of data in the extension, doesn't it? Or is it handled differently?

As for the shims, Firefox Developer Edition is currently at v55 and even after installing 1Password the browser fires multiple content processes... Either the Dev Edition forces multiprocess (should it break 1Password?) or the APIs are shimmed somehow?

@a2sheppy 1Password should work fine in Firefox 56. It's just that Mozilla is currently using Nightly to prepare for the big Firefox 57 changes so most of what you currently see in Nightly won't get to the Firefox 56 beta but will wait for Firefox 57.

• a2sheppy
    a2sheppy
    Community Member
    Options

@mgol Yeah, I know, you're right of course. This is more of a quasi-57 than a true 56. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I actually didn't realize it was that nuanced. Thanks, guys! :chuffed:

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mgol The same process of exchanging a shared secret is used for native messaging, but we don't require that you enter the prompt since there's no risk of this connection being attempted across user accounts. There will be a new shared secret since the storage is different, but there will be no prompt so you shouldn't see any issues from it.

• mgol
    mgol
    Community Member
    Options

@jxpx777 Thanks for the info! That does seem to make is easier.

@a2sheppy That's slightly off topic but where can one read about the name change? Googling "BrowserExtensions" returns nothing sensible as opposed to googling "WebExtensions"...

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mgol I so agree. WebExtensions (one word, camel case) was already chosen to aid searching IIRC. Even searching the Mozilla wiki didn't turn any results for "BrowserExtensions"…

• a2sheppy
    a2sheppy
    Community Member
    Options

@mgol I had to hunt just a bit since it's just a few days ago I found out about it, but here you go: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Add-ons/Terminology

• a2sheppy
    a2sheppy
    Community Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

Apparently it's "Browser extensions" which is terrible for searching. Terrible.

See also the specification: https://browserext.github.io/browserext/

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

This tötally clears things up! Of course, open source projects are notoriously bad at naming things, but throw a dev a bone here! :dizzy:

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey, folks, just an update that we have released a beta of our Firefox extension built with WebExtensions. I posted a more in-depth comment in this thread but the upshot is you can get it today, either once the software update gods have shined on your particular Firefox install or by installing fresh from our site. :chuffed:

• heubergen
    heubergen
    Community Member
    Options

Just a reminder for everyone (so you not do the same mistake I did^^).
    You have to set xpinstall.signatures.required = false to be able to install the extensions.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@heubergen This should definitely not be required. I installed the beta from our site in the stable version of Firefox where I keep the signature requirement enabled. If you are having an issue with this, please open a new thread so we can investigate further.

• freeAgent
    freeAgent
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the update! I just uninstalled the old extension and installed the beta. It seems to work well so far (though I obviously haven't used it much). I did not have to do any config changes to get the extension installed.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's great, @freeAgent! Thanks for confirming. :+1:

• trobotham
    trobotham
    Community Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

One thing to note (this may just not be in it yet since it is beta), is that the TOTP codes no longer auto-copy, it is just something I wanted to report in case you are not aware.

Edit: Disregard that, it was my own fault; they work.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Ah, thanks for letting us know! Do you mind sharing what went wrong? Maybe the app needed to be updated, since the extension doesn't handle that. Either way, glad to hear all is well again. We're here if you need us! :)

• mgol
    mgol
    Community Member
    Options

I see the WebExtension version has just hit stable, hasn't it?

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Yes, indeed! Good eye, @mgol! :chuffed:

• smacpherson
    smacpherson
    Community Member
    Options

This is great news @jxpx777. Thanks to you and the team. The 1Password extension was the last one on my list preventing multiprocess glory in Firefox stable!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Believe me, we're very happy we've reached this point :lol:

This discussion has been closed.