1Password 4 with USB Drive

I'm really starting to like 1Password 4 on Windows. I want to use my vault somewhere else that is not my primary computer. I don't want to install Dropbox and have it sync. How can I use 1Password 4 and use my vault from a USB drive?

Thank you for a great product. I'm buying it after my trial is up :).

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MikeT
    edited August 2016

Hi @toobs,

A portable version of 1Password is something we want to do in the future but for now, while you can put the copy of the vault on the USB drive, it is not possible to run the 1Password app from there. You'd have to install it on the temporary PC, turn off auto-back ups (so it doesn't leave a backup of your data on the local drive), and configure it to open the 1Password folder from the USB drive. We don't recommend a slow USB thumbdrive as 1Password is I/O intensive, it will do a lot of read/writes.

If you are talking about syncing between your own computers where you will be using 1Password but you want to sync your data locally, you can use any local sync tool like Bittorrent Sync, Synology's CloudStation (NAS), and sync your data between computers either by syncing it with your USB drive or with your local network storage device. Make sure you have a copy of the 1Password folder on each computer's primary drive, so you get the best performance possible and we don't recommend running from a network share.

• toobs
    toobs
    Community Member

Thanks @MikeT,

A portable version on 1Password would be awesome. Run it off the USB thumbdrive everywhere you go and leave no trace on the local machine. All good stuff that is waiting to come, eventually. In the meantime thank you so much for the tip of turning off auto backup on the temporary machine. I didn't think about that.

Which files do I need on my thumbdrive for my vault? I don't think that I will be adding any new content to the vault on the thumbdrive. I just want access to my sites/password on the temporary machine that I'm on.

Thank you so much for all of your help.

• Hi @toobs,

Just the .agilekeychain or .opvault folder. To find it, open 1Password 4, go to the File Menu > Preferences > General and you'll see the current path next to 1Password Vault.

• toobs
    toobs
    Community Member

Thanks, and how do I point it to the thumbdrive after I install 1Password 4 on the temporary computer?

• Hi @toobs,

When 1Password opens up the first time, there's an option for I have used 1Password before, select it and it'll then show you the Open File dialog. Point it to the folder on your USB drive and it'll then ask you to unlock.

This discussion has been closed.