Migrate from dropbox/personal to teams

Options

Hi there,

I have a standalone license that i use with dropbox as sync tool of choice. I use it on Mac, Windows and iOS devices. This year I signed my company up for the Teams license which is great and I want to use the Personal folder in there for my own passwords that now sit inside my dropboxed vault. It seems from reading various threads that folders are not supported, and there is no way of converting folders to tags upon moving items into Team vaults. Are there any good workarounds on this?

Also, are there any limitations with moving completely over to Teams? How are file attachments dealt with?

Currently my dropboxed vault is painstakingly slow to open, especially on Windows machines, and I thought migrating to Teams would mitigate this somehow. Could you please advise what the best course of cation for me would be, stick with dropbox for a while longer, migrate to Teams straight away, solution to folder structures?

Thanks in advance,

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: 4.5.8.90
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @henkisdabro,

I hope you’re loving 1Password Teams so far!

It seems from reading various threads that folders are not supported, and there is no way of converting folders to tags upon moving items into Team vaults. Are there any good workarounds on this?

You’re right, folders are not an option in 1Password Teams vaults. I would suggest creating a new tag for each folder. Once the tag is created, you can select all the items in a particular folder and drag it over the tag in the sidebar to apply that tag to those items. It’s not quite a nifty as a folder - tags conversion tool, but I hope it helps!

Also, are there any limitations with moving completely over to Teams?

One thing to be aware of is that the 1Password for Windows app that is Teams-compatible (version 6) is currently in beta. It has been in beta for a while and we’re getting close to release, so the app is looking pretty polished, but I wanted to mention it, just in case you’re not already using this with your 1Password Teams data on your Windows machines.

You state above that this Teams account is your company, so this point may be less relevant to you, but I’ll mention it anyway, just in case: the ‘personal’ vault in 1Password Teams is tied directly to the Team itself. This means that if you left the team and an admin removed your access to the 1Password Teams account, you would lose access to that personal vault as well. In general, we recommend using the personal vault of the 1Password Teams account for items related to your job that no one else in the company would need access to (your email details, for example.) However, if this is your company, then there’s less worry that you’ll lose access to that vault. :)

Other than that, I can’t think of anything that is limiting. In fact, as I’m sure you’ve noted, there are some awesome new things available in Teams above and beyond what the standalone apps provide.

How are file attachments dealt with?

Any attachments in your primary vault will be converted to documents (independent items) in your Teams vault. We’re working on adding support for attachments in 1Password accounts, for now you can use the ‘Link item’ option to connect the documents to any relevant items.

Could you please advise what the best course of cation for me would be, stick with dropbox for a while longer, migrate to Teams straight away...?

Whether you move your data fully to Teams or keep a standalone vault is ultimately your decision. But if you’re enjoying how 1Password Teams is handling the rest of your team’s data, then there’s no reason not to move all of your data into a 1Password account.

I hope this helps, but if you have more questions, we’re here for you!

• henkisdabro
    henkisdabro
    Community Member
    Options

Sounds good, thanks for all the answers!

Creating tags for each of my folders would be a highly time consuming task, I saw Dave mentioning a folders-to-tags conversion idea in some newsletter, what is the roadmap for this tool?

If all attachments are converted to individual documents, is there a way that 1Password would at least create the link automatically for me for each item that previously had an attachment to it? That would certainly make sense.

Thanks in advance,

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @henkisdabro,

I can’t promise anything with respect to unreleased features, but I can certainly let our development team know that you’re interested in something like this.

ref: OPM-3743

If all attachments are converted to individual documents, is there a way that 1Password would at least create the link automatically for me for each item that previously had an attachment to it? That would certainly make sense.

In the original item you will see a ‘imported attachment’ section. Click there to be taken to the item. :)

• jrotello
    jrotello
    Community Member
    Options

Is there a way to filter on items with attachments in a dropbox vault (1Password v4 for Windows), so that I can ensure I handle each of those items correctly when fully migrating to my Families account?

• @jrotello That's a great question. I'm afraid there isn't a way to filter items that way in 1Password 4 for Windows. If you usually made attachments to certain item types, you can filter those by clicking the types in the sidebar. Another option is to view all the items (click All in the folders and tags area) and use the up/down arrow keys to go through them quickly. When "Drop an attachment here" doesn't appear, that item has an attachment. Hope that helps! :)

• Ranch
    Ranch
    Community Member
    Options

Been using iP v4 for a while. We signed up for Teams and stored passwords there, too. How do my old v4 passwords coexist with the ones in Teams? Just now I removed the v4 App from my laptop and installed v6. I can't access my old passwords any more :(

Do I need to reinstall v4? Do I need to export from v4 to v6? I suppose you have a guide for migrating?

• @Ranch Sorry for the confusion. I assume you were using 1Password 4 on Windows? Those don't automatically move over to a team account when you start using one, but we do have a nice way to move them over. Here's the guide I recommend following:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

1Password 4 doesn't need to be installed to do that. You can move your existing passwords into your Personal vault in the team account. If you want to keep them separate from the team, I'd recommend creating an account for yourself, then moving your existing data into that instead. Let us know how things go. :)

• Ranch
    Ranch
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Jacob and sorry for not getting back sooner. The "manual" was helpful, wonder why it isn't easier to find or better marketed. I'm following these steps:

1. Select (Settings) > Accounts & Vaults > Folder > Open Vault.
    2. Select your .opvault or .agilekeychain folder, click OK, then enter the password for that vault.
    3. Select the item you want to copy. Select multiple items by holding down the Ctrl key when clicking on them. Select all of the items by pressing Ctrl+A after clicking one of the items in the list.
    4. Click Copy and choose the vault you want to copy the data into.

In the 1Password App I repeatedly get this error: Authentification error, please sign in again. Now clicking on that message I come to a page where my sign-in address and account key is shown. I have to enter my master password into an invisible field. After doing so it says: Must enter password. Unable to sign in.

So I'm kind of stuck :(

• @Ranch Thanks for the update. We're working to make that more discoverable for folks. Where did you look for it? That may be a good start for us to make it easier to find in the future. :)

For now, let's sort out the issue with the app. The invisible field sounds a bit strange, so could you send us a screenshot of that? Please attach it to an email at support@1password.com and include a link to this thread so we have some context. If you need any help taking a screenshot, there is a nice guide over at http://www.take-a-screenshot.org. Once you have the image, make sure to remove or mask any private info. No need to send me your passwords or anything like that. ;)

Lastly, post back here with the BitBot confirmation number you receive from us after sending your message. We'll use that to get back to you faster. Talk to you soon!

• Ranch
    Ranch
    Community Member
    Options

The recent minor update seemed to do the job, now it worked :-) For each password / set of passwords I saved in vaults, the app was "reset", i.e. I had to select the folder again. That was a bit annoying. But otherwise it was fine, I'm through.

Now, we can finally start using 1P in my team. It does feel a little like we wasted half a year, which is quite a bit of money, but I still think 1P is right for us.

Thanks for your help, Jacob.

• @Ranch I'm glad to hear that! Once again, sorry for the inconvenience so far. I hope 1Password Teams saves you and the team lots of time going forward. :)

This discussion has been closed.