Does 1Password work on a Chromebook / Chrome OS?

Options

Comments

• Jon_MN
    Jon_MN
    Community Member
    Options

I work in IT within a public school system. Chromebook use growth is exponential in the k12 sector. Often at the expense of Windows and Apple share. Both IOS and MacOS systems are seeing replacement by Chrome OS devices within schools and a growing trend within many businesses!

I really believe that 1Password is missing out on a substantial user base/platform by not actively developing for the ChromeOS.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3025976/hardware/chromebooks-are-siphoning-market-share-from-windows-pcs.html

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Jon_MN: Certainly it's still very low relative to other platforms, but it will be interesting to see if this trend continues. Cheers! :)

• craig_ibbotson
    craig_ibbotson
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, I switched to the 1Password subscription model, which is useful on my Chromebox since it lets me access all my passwords via the web. However, I can't figure out how to generate a new password on my chromebox - is there any way via the web app to generate a new password when I need one?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@craig_ibbotson: Yep! Just click the little "key" icon over to the right of the password field in the login item:

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• leggett
    leggett
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty Thanks for being upfront and keeping us up to date. Just wanted to add my name to the list of people that would love support on ChromeOS. I'd be happy with even just a read-only version that synced with Dropbox or perhaps Google Drive?

If you ever did support it in some way, do you think it would require a monthly subscription or would it be like the MacOS app where I can buy it once?

And for those that have tried the Android app on Chrome OS... can you copy the password out of the Android app and into Chrome?

• qgecko
    qgecko
    Community Member
    Options

Just wanted to add a friendly request for a standalone Chrome App. I've been a 1Password user since version 2 (possibly even v 1) and just switched to the Family plan. While we are both iOS users, my wife is a Chromebook user and wish she could have the convenience I get with having a Mac and the Chrome extension. Great product, thanks for the family plan, and keep up the great coding!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for being upfront and keeping us up to date. Just wanted to add my name to the list of people that would love support on ChromeOS. I'd be happy with even just a read-only version that synced with Dropbox or perhaps Google Drive?

@leggett: Any time! Thanks for letting us know! :)

If you ever did support it in some way, do you think it would require a monthly subscription or would it be like the MacOS app where I can buy it once?

Take this with a grain of salt because it's not something we can do right now at all...but it's much more likely that it will integrate with the hosted service, since the data is already there and we have all the APIs we need (or at least can create them). We just don't have that kind of flexibility with a 3rd party service, so it would be more difficult (if even possible) to accomplish this for one...and adding one would make everyone else feel left out. With 1Password.com we can get everything we need and maintain control over security, efficiency, and user experience from top to bottom. So that's really kind of a no-brainer if we go that route.

And for those that have tried the Android app on Chrome OS... can you copy the password out of the Android app and into Chrome?

Yep! But it's easier to use the 1Password for Android keyboard to fill in apps and browsers. Cheers! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Just wanted to add a friendly request for a standalone Chrome App. I've been a 1Password user since version 2 (possibly even v 1) and just switched to the Family plan. While we are both iOS users, my wife is a Chromebook user and wish she could have the convenience I get with having a Mac and the Chrome extension. Great product, thanks for the family plan, and keep up the great coding!

@qgecko: Thank you for the kind words, and your long-time support! I'm glad you're enjoying 1Password on your devices! Hopefully we'll be able to branch out even more in the future to add other platforms as well. :chuffed:

• mokalatte
    mokalatte
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for better 1Password support for Chromebooks. I've been a 1Password user since initial release and it really is one of my favorite and most useful apps as someone entrenched in all things Apple. However, the new Chromebooks and the Play Store integration are compelling and I hope to get one soon.

• mjaxtens
    mjaxtens
    Community Member
    Options

I'd like to add my name too. Having paid several times for the earlier versions of 1Password on several platforms, moving to Chromebook I hoped to keep 1 password, but even to post here I had to "leave" chrome OS and enter the Android app. Log in, cut and paste and return to login. Google smart lock gave me the option to save the login. I hesitated then relented.. permission granted. More and more I'm doing this.. the move away from 1Password will be forced on me unless 1password develops an extension for chrome in chromeOS. It was so easy on MacOS, windows, android and Ios (with some browser quirks). ChromeOS is on the rise. Please help before myself and many others complete our transitions.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mokalatte, @mjaxtens: Thanks for letting us know where you're coming from. This isn't something we're able to move on right now, and maybe that's a good thing since there are different options to explore, between browser extensions and Android apps coming to newer Chromebooks. Either way we obviously have something we can start with already; it just isn't clear which one would be a better experience. It's something we'll have to investigate more.

• mjaxtens
    mjaxtens
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks brenty for your thoughtful reply. I'm a lapsed Mac fanboy, (but keeping my iphone with 1Password.. good experience on that device)
    1Password chrome extension and standalone work well for Macs, but built in obsolescence and extreme cost has driven me to chromebooks as inexpensive and awesome option (I can buy 4 of these and still be ahead vs one macbook Pro).

Reading about chromebooks they are certainly on the rise, and my thoughts are reminiscent of a time when I sent a similar request to several websites urging chrome browser compatibility when IE was dominant. chrome was on the rise then, but some vendors weren't forward thinking and stuck to IE for years after chrome was obviously superior.. I wonder how many clients they lost! Good luck and once again thanks for a well thought out product.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's a really fun example of Internet Explorer versus Chrome. Glad things worked out the way they did (so far, with a skeptical eye toward Google), and it will be interesting to see what kind of progress ChromeOS makes in the PC market in the coming decade. Cheers! :)

• aprilrosedec
    aprilrosedec
    Community Member
    Options

Just wanted to add myself to the growing list of users requesting Chrome OS support. I'm saying goodbye to my Macbook and will only be using my Chromebook and iPhone... would be great to be able to continue using 1Password!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@aprilrosedec: Thanks for letting us know! 1Password.com definitely works on a Chromebook, and perhaps we'll be able to offer another option in the future as well. :)

• BoStaahle
    BoStaahle
    Community Member
    Options

I see a lot of families choose chromebooks.
    I don't think AgileBits see them as they don't have the system supported.
    I changed to 1Password recently and didn't even check if our chromebooks would be supported. I expected it to work. But as the kids primary platform shifts to iOS devices for school anyway the problem is then only with my own CB.
    I have seen this from other companies in different situations even having the resources to jump on that horse choose not to because they don't have users on the platform their products don't work on ...

I do feel that with limited resources you should focus on making what you have better and keep it supported.

Just my point of view.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@BoStaahle: Thank you for sharing that. I think that's a fair assessment from both perspectives. I'm sorry if it was a bit of an unpleasant surprise that we don't make a ChromeOS app. For now we don't have room for new platform development, but we've always got an eye out for the future. Cheers! :)

• apb
    apb
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty As both a 1Password for Teams admin and a 1Password for Families admin I would like to show my interest for ChromeOS support. Professionally I have been migrating some non-technical users to Chromebooks/Chromeboxes. In my personal life I have moved aging members of my family to Chromeboxes. I'm very aware of how engineering effort is allocated in technology companies but you should know that ChromeOS support would make me very, very happy. People can hobble by with the web though, in the interim.

As an aside, I hope you folks are weathering the Cloudflare storm. I had my staff confirm some of the claims made in the AgileBits blog post on the issue and we are happy to be remaining a 1Password customer.

• donwhall70
    donwhall70
    Community Member
    Options

I would love to use this product but lack of a Chrome extension keeps me using LastPass unfortunately.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@donwhall70: Thanks for letting us know. Hopefully we'll be able to offer "native" support for ChromeOS someday.

As both a 1Password for Teams admin and a 1Password for Families admin I would like to show my interest for ChromeOS support. Professionally I have been migrating some non-technical users to Chromebooks/Chromeboxes. In my personal life I have moved aging members of my family to Chromeboxes. I'm very aware of how engineering effort is allocated in technology companies but you should know that ChromeOS support would make me very, very happy. People can hobble by with the web though, in the interim.

@apb: Ah, that's interesting. It sounds like those are two groups of people who could really benefit from ChromeOS devices. The 1Password.com web interface works of course, but as you suggest it isn't as robust as a native app, or the ability to fill. I really appreciate the examples, and I hope we'll be able make you (and those you work with) happy by offering something better there i the future.

As an aside, I hope you folks are weathering the Cloudflare storm. I had my staff confirm some of the claims made in the AgileBits blog post on the issue and we are happy to be remaining a 1Password customer.

Thank you! We're doing okay since we've had to plan for this sort of thing, but I appreciate the vote of confidence and your kind words. While this past week's "excitement" hasn't directly impacted AgileBits customers, it's certainly kept us busy! :dizzy:

• apb
    apb
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty I'll file a support case but you should know that 1Password for Families user enrollment on an Acer Chromebox CXI2-2GKM failed repeatedly this weekend. It would hang at the "Generating Emergency Kit" step. For this user I enrolled them from a MacBook, from which I was supporting them remotely, and escrowed their Emergency Kit (which was the plan anyway). For my 1Password for Teams account this would have been more problematic. We have more capable devices in the corporate environment and I'll test enrollment on a current, top of the line Chromebook.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@apb: That's really interesting. When you say that you had no trouble doing it on the Mac, were you using Chrome there as well? Knowing which Chrome version on each and which other extensions are installed in both cases may help us track down the cause. It should work identically in Chrome on all platforms, so that's definitely something we'd like to pursue. Any details you can provide will be greatly appreciated. I look forward to hearing back from you!

• debdebtig
    debdebtig
    Community Member
    Options

Popping in here from my Chromebook to say 'me too!' I love 1Password on my macbook, iphone, and windows (when i have one) machines, but I use my Chromebook a lot more than I used to. Since I sync Chrome it syncs the 1password app and yells at me when I first login or if I accidentally hit the button. Sure hope you add support soon.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the feedback, @debdebtig. No immediate plans, but maybe something we can look into in the future. :)

Ben

• EricJL
    EricJL
    Community Member
    Options

Adding to the pile. Longtime (5+ years) LastPass user who heard such raves about 1Password that I jumped on the one year subscription that was included in a Humble Bundle recently. And I really do like it a lot, but the lack of a dedicated Chrome app really stings. Having the web version open without autofill really isn't a substitute for being able to just click the button and have it work. On Windows, Mac and iOS, super impressed, but my Chromebook is probably my 2nd most used platform for things that regularly require logins behind Windows (I use Mac mostly for work and iOS mostly for stuff that doesn't require password management), and LP handles it smoothly. :-/

Will continue to watch with interest. I understand why you guys haven't put the resources into it but it'd be a super nice addition to your platform.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@EricJL: Thanks for letting us know! It isn't something we have the resources to do right now, as it would essentially mean creating a brand new Chrome extension, but perhaps we can down the road.

• doc_tech
    doc_tech
    Community Member
    Options

Adding my voice to the request for ChromeOS support, please.

I spend a lot of time on my ChromeBook (it doesn't have Android App support yet, but is on the list of chromeBooks to eventually get it), and the lack of autofill is a real bummer in an, otherwise, excellent program. I was quietly hoping that the ChromePlugin would work, but that wasn't the case, here. Please consider adding this support in the future.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@doc_tech: Thanks! That's pretty exciting if you're one of the lucky ones to be able to look forward to using Android apps on your Chromebook. We don't currently have plans to bring 1Password to ChromeOS, but as Google figures all of this out we'll be paying close attention. :)

• cjs226
    cjs226
    Community Member
    Options

Same here, while I have many Macs and iOS devices, I now (begrudgingly) have a Chromebook too.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

My condolences? :lol: Thanks for letting us know! ;)

This discussion has been closed.