Tips on how to get Multi-Factor Authentication via Duo working?

Options

I've enabled Beta features on our team account and see that Multi-Factor Authentication via Duo is available. However, 1Password isn't listed as an application on the Duo site. Any tips on how to enable this beta feature on our account? Fair warning: I've never used Duo for Multi-Factor Authentication and I do realize that this is a beta feature. Thanks in advance.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Duo

Comments

• jpringle
    jpringle
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Phillip,

You can find the application type "Web SDK" and use that until 1Password gets officially added to the Duo site.

Source: Duo employee :-)

• Jacob
    Options

Hi @philiparthurmoore! Looks like @jpringle got this covered. :) Hope you get things working for your team soon. Let us know if you have any questions or issues with it.

• philiparthurmoore
    philiparthurmoore
    Community Member
    Options

@jpringle, Thank you so much. I'll give it a shot now and see how it goes.

@Jacob, thanks for @'ing me. I wouldn't have realized there was a response otherwise. :smile:

• Jacob
    Options

You're most welcome. :) Cheers!

• philiparthurmoore
    philiparthurmoore
    Community Member
    Options

Worked like a charm! Thanks to you both. Issue resolved.

• Jacob
    Options

Wunderbar! :+1: Let us know if you need anything else.

• ntimo
    ntimo
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,
    First of I am using 1Password for Families. But I would still be interested to get to know more about the new beta feature for teams. That is called duo integration. I know that duo is a 2 factor authentication service but how does this Implantation work? And will it come to family and individual accounts too?

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ntimo,

Hope you don't mind that I've added your post to this other discussion about using Duo with 1Password. Someone more familiar with it than I am right now will be able to answers questions that aren't already answered here. :)

• ntimo
    ntimo
    Community Member
    Options

@sjk No I don't mind but. There are two questions I am having.

1. Will this feature be only be available to teams customers?
    2. How will it help to protect when someone logins into an account using an 1Password App lets say the mac one for example? Because their the 2FA would not be checked?

Thx
    Timo

• Scuba629
    Scuba629
    Community Member
    Options

I'm also interested in Duo and other 2FA authentication for 1Password for Families.

• hazmat
    hazmat
    Community Member
    Options

I commented in the other thread, but yes, please add Duo 2FA for Families accounts. When the need for logging into the web site for vault access arrises, you'll find a lot of people keeping their account keys in plain text files on Dropbox or in notes apps.

• Jacob
    Options

@ntimo @Scuba629 @hazmat Duo is only available for 1Password Teams users right now, and I can't share what plans we have for it beyond that. Thanks for the feedback though! It's good to know folks are interested. :)

How will it help to protect when someone logins into an account using an 1Password App lets say the mac one for example? Because their the 2FA would not be checked?

Right now it doesn't affect things in the apps. We're working on adding Duo integration when signing in there as well. It will likely be in beta first, so keep an eye out.

• hazmat
    hazmat
    Community Member
    Options

So you want to log into 1Password on your iPhone and do your 2FA via Duo on the same iPhone? :)

• Scuba629
    Scuba629
    Community Member
    Options

@Jacob No worries. Just putting it out there that i'm interested. :smile:

@hazmat I like that they have sms and telephony options. I don't know if its really needed on my iPhone or Mac though. I don't access those from public spaces, but I also might be abnormal in that regard.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

So you want to log into 1Password on your iPhone and do your 2FA via Duo on the same iPhone? :)

@hazmat: No one "has" to do anything. It's up to you! ;)

You can opt to not use 1Password on your "2FA device", or install 1Password on your iPhone and use another device for the 2FA.

@hazmat I like that they have sms and telephony options. I don't know if its really needed on my iPhone or Mac though. I don't access those from public spaces, but I also might be abnormal in that regard.

@Scuba629: Well, I sort of hope that there aren't a lot of people accessing sensitive information on untrusted machines...but I realize that in some cases it's the lesser of two evils. :unamused:

• hazmat
    hazmat
    Community Member
    Options

@Scuba629: Yeah, Duo is really slick. My favorite thing is how you can just accept the connection right from the push notification without ever having to open the actual app or even go to the home screen.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @hazmat

That sounds like a really nice perk for 2FA, thank you for sharing it with us! :chuffed:

• hazmat
    hazmat
    Community Member
    Options

I should mention that after accepting the Duo request notification, you still have to authenticate on the iPhone (or Android I guess) via Touch ID or passcode, but after that it just goes back to the lock screen.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

Now might be a good time to revisit adding U2F (through the excellent YubiKeys, for instance) as an option. (I remember this was discussed a few years ago, before the advent of 1Password for Teams, and dismissed as not being needed at the time.) Duo is a great service, but also being able to set up an unbreakable hardware key and throwing it in the company safe, where it can stay put as long as needed without fear of it being lost, stolen or mis-configured, would be an appreciable fallback option. Duo is more of a dynamic — geddit? :tongue: — option.

• jpringle
    jpringle
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @Deleted User,

Just to let you know, Duo does have U2F support with our Duo Prompt.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the tip, @JPringle! :chuffed: I'm afraid you'll think less of me but I admit that blending Duo with U2F, instead of using them separately, causes my head to spin a little.

• Jacob
    Options

Presto! Duo is a magical little thing eh?

• ntimo
    ntimo
    Community Member
    Options

i just saw that 1Password for families now has a beta toggle too :) But when activating it. I don't get the MFA :(

• hazmat
    hazmat
    Community Member
    Options

@ntimo: Nice! Looking forward to seeing what features come up.

• Jacob
    Options

@ntimo Multi-factor authentication with Duo is exclusive to 1Password Teams right now, so that's why it isn't showing up after you enable beta features. ;)

• trevorwalton
    trevorwalton
    Community Member
    Options

Bumping this thread 'cause I just got a Yubikey Nano over the holidays. Between the lack of support for U2F in any browser except for Chrome, and the fact that I can't use it with my password manager of choice, it's far less useful than I had hoped. Any plans to add this feature to 1Password for families, in the near future?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@trevorwalton: Good to know! We don't currently have plans for Yubikey support, but it's certainly something we'll continue to consider along with others. Happy holidays! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@cobaltjacket: Kaby Lake has some great benefits but (given that it was launched just a few months ago on mobile and weeks ago on the desktop), there just aren't a lot of folks out there with the hardware. I think you're right on about the potential here if things take off, but it's still too early to call it. It's something we're watching with interest though. :)

This discussion has been closed.