Copy from Primary to Personal Vault does not complete

jdharper
jdharper
Community Member

I just signed up for a Families account and I'm trying to migrate from my standalone (Dropbox sync'd) "Primary" vault to my Family plan "Personal" vault. I have 897 Items in my Primary vault and I'm running through the migration instructions to migrate on the Mac.

I select all 897 item and then do a Share->copy to the Personal vault. I've tried this multiple times and each time I will see only up to 100 items show up in the Personal vault when I check on the web interface. When I look at the vaults in the desktop app it shows 897 items in the Primary, Personal, AND the Shared vaults so obviously that is wrong. I close the desktop app and reopen it and it gives me the dreaded "Can't connect to 1Password mini" and when that completes and fails, I launch 1password again, it opens and I see more items get copied over. Generally I only get 600 items to show up in the Personal vault but once I got 888.

Each time I do the experiment, I delete all the items in the Personal vault and empty its trash. Each time it fails the same way.

Version is: 1Password 6 Version 6.3.1 (631006) AgileBits Store

Running OS X 10.11.6 and I have rebooted the machine but still get the same crash.

Thoughts on next steps?

Other question, once we figure this out, is there a way to compare the data between the two vaults? I don't have a good taste that even if the copy completes there may have been corruption...

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: 4.5.7
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: Dropbox and Families

Comments

• Hi @jdharper ,

I'm sorry you are having trouble copying items. If I had to guess, I'd say there's a problem with one of your items that is causing the issue. 1Password mini does the "heavy lifting" so it makes sense that the app would have trouble connecting to it after it encountered this "bad" item.

But rather than just guess, let's confirm it: I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the Diagnostics Report(s) to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report(s) in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report(s) in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report(s) and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly.

There's no "compare" function per se, but the report should show us which item is causing the problem.

In the meantime, what I recommend it copying your items in groups. (for example A-D, E-M, etc.) When the groups copy without issue, leave them be. No need to delete them all. Also note, with a large number of items, it has to re-encrypt them all before sending them to the server, so it can take a bit of times. If the network is slow, it could take a minute.

I look forward to seeing the report. We should be able to see what is causing the issue then.

Thanks,
    Kevin

• jdharper
    jdharper
    Community Member

Thanks for the quick response Kevin.

I opened a ticket and the support ID is [#PRJ-76867-258]

• jdharper
    jdharper
    Community Member

Hi Kevin,

I did what you suggested and copied the entries over in smaller chunks and that seemed to work. I kept track of the number of items being copied in each chunk and made sure that the resulting total in the new families Personal vault was same after subtracting the number of documents that were created from the attachments. I had 897 total items in my Primary vault and ended up with 1035 total in my Personal vault which included 138 documents. Sound like what I should be expecting? Anything else I should review to make sure it went OK?

No crashes of 1Password mini this time.

• rudy
    edited August 2016

@jdharper,

897 + 138 = 1035, it sounds like it worked to me.

Rudy

ref: PRJ-76867-258

This discussion has been closed.