Where are the data backups with 1Password Individual?

Options
VikkorMallansohn
VikkorMallansohn
Community Member
edited August 2016 in Families

With the traditional 1Password on Mac, I was able to save the the backups located in ~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Backups in my offsite backup procedure.

Those are apparently not being created with 1Password Individual.

Are local backups being created now? If not, what files can I save so that I have a backup of my data independent of your cloud?

On a somewhat similar theme ... Is there data left laying around in iCloud that I should delete now that I am using your sync?

Thanks.

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: 4.5.7
OS Version: macOS Sierra 10.12 Beta (16A270f)
Sync Type: 1Password Personal

Comments

• Jacob
    Options

Hey @VikkorMallansohn! Good question. With a 1Password account, your data is backed up automatically on the server. That means you don't have to worry about local backups or anything like that. You can save the local copy of things if you would like. It would basically be this entire folder:

~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data

Your local database is contained there. Backing it up right now will back up the current state of things. Restoring that "backup" is more complicated, because it isn't officially supported. You can try replacing the folder on your local drive, but it may mess things up. The only reason I'm mentioning this at all is because it is technically possible, just not recommended. Local backups are not necessary with accounts because things are backed up on the server; this is just a way to do it if you want the safety net.

Hope that helps give a bit of context!

• VikkorMallansohn
    VikkorMallansohn
    Community Member
    Options

Jacob,

I understand and appreciate your comments about not recommending that as a backup. Hopefully we will never get to that point. But, if everything else goes bump, I will at least have that data to start from. Since I only need to remove two directory level names in my existing procedure, it's not a lot of effort to implement this.

Thanks for the info.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @VikkorMallansohn,

I’m glad that Jacob’s answer helped you out! If you have any other questions about 1Password, you know where to find us. :)

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@VikkorMallansohn,

To answer your other question, you can remove any 1Password data that may be in iCloud by choosing Help > Troubleshooting > Reset iCloud Data.

This discussion has been closed.