1Password hangs every time since I upgraded to Windows 10 Anniversary Edition

Options

Ever since I moved to the anniversary update, I see that 1Password hangs every time I open it. Wait a long time and it finally becomes responsive. And then this repeats with every control I interact with and every new window I open. I open one login, it hangs. Once it's finally open, I try to edit a field and that hangs. Each time it stays non-responsive for minutes.

1Password Version: 4.6.0.604
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 Version 1607
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:1Password desktop hangs every time since I upgraded to Anniversary edition

Comments

• jfriend
    jfriend
    Community Member
    Options

I'm seeing the same things. Hangs in the Chrome extension if I tried to search the vault. The standalone app hangs all over the place. Basically unusable.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jfriend, @davisjohn: I'm sorry for the trouble! Oddly enough the Anniversary Update seems to have improved performance on my machines. :(

Can you be more specific about a few things? It may help us track down the issue:

• Browser version
    • Exact steps you're taking
    • Description of the problem, and where it's happening (browser, app, etc.)
    • Is the behaviour and timing consistent?

Thanks in advance!

• davisjohn
    davisjohn
    Community Member
    Options

I haven't tried extensions yet but the app starts hanging from the moment it is opened - from the unlock screen. Titlebar shows the app is unresponsive and it won't let me type in the password. Once the menus become active, I type in but the password bullets take a long time to appear. Hitting enter also takes time to get registered and unlock. The same continues with everything I do after I have managed to unlock. The behavior is consistent so there is no way for me to actually use the app.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@davisjohn: Ah! Thank you for clarifying! So, when you first open 1Password it is unresponsive? And from then on there's a delay when interacting with the app in any way? That sounds pretty obnoxious! I'm glad you said that, because I thought you meant it froze temporarily while unlocking (which will happen due to the decryption taking place).

If you're still having trouble, the best thing to do will be to restart your PC, reproduce the same issue, and then generate a diagnostic report and send it to support+forums@agilebits.com so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Windows)

Just be sure to include a link to this forum thread and your username in the email so we can 'connect the dots'. Also, knowing your timezone and the date/time of the incident will help us find it in the logs. We will get to the bottom of this! :)

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2016
    Options

@davisjohn @jfriend I cannot seem to reproduce these problems in the Windows 10 Anniversary Update, but I do know 1Password 4 is very File I/O intensive, and Windows Defender has gained a lot of new features. You might want to turn some of the Windows Defender features off temporarily, and see if this makes a difference.

Apparently there are a lot of problems with the Windows 10 Anniversary Update:

Here is something else you could try:

• open a command prompt as an administrator and type sfc /scannow to do a corrupt file check
    • roll Windows 10 back to a previous build

I do realize none of these suggestions are ideal.

• jfriend
    jfriend
    Community Member
    Options

@svondutch I work at Microsoft and run pre-release builds every day on my primary machine. I didn't experience any problems with 1password until the last week or so. (I can't comment or verify any of the horrible things mentioned in those links, but I certainly haven't experienced anything like that).

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2016
    Options

@jfriend Thank you for your feedback. It is awesome to have someone working at Microsoft here! If you hear anything that could shed some light on this problem, can you please share it here?

It sounds like @dszp is having the same problem maybe: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/67561/extended-unlock-period-for-1password-4-6-0-beta-608-for-windows-10-anniversary-update

• davisjohn
    davisjohn
    Community Member
    Options

I just reinstalled 1Password and that seems to have fixed the issue.

I am also skeptical about Defender being the problem here, as I could see similar symptoms even with the uninstaller and the Antimalware Service Executable had pretty high CPU usage at that time.

• davisjohn
    davisjohn
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty I'm sorry I couldn't collect the diagnostics before I did the reinstall. Will get it in case I hit this again.

• jfriend
    jfriend
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty I'll collect logs and send them your way. Repro steps are:
    App:
    1. launch 1PW app.
    2. App hangs (not responding) on start
    3. When that clears enter password (note. no visable response by app to this),
    4. Finally shows the password dots. Hit enter.
    5. App now unlocked and ready...nope again, not responding
    6. Wait for that the clear.
    7. Try to search (perf okayish)
    8. Click on help menu (Drops down but largely unresponsive).

Extension (Chrome)
    1. Hit ctrl \ on a page with login (works now, wasn't working yesterday)
    2. Click on extension icon (menu drops down) select search.
    3. Search window is non-responsive.

Logs will be coming soon.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I just reinstalled 1Password and that seems to have fixed the issue.

@davisjohn: Great! Thanks for confirming! That's a bit odd, but I suppose stranger things have happened after major upgrades.

I am also skeptical about Defender being the problem here, as I could see similar symptoms even with the uninstaller and the Antimalware Service Executable had pretty high CPU usage at that time.

I don't see anyone suggesting that there is something wrong with Windows Defender. It's what I use myself. However, it can be useful for troubleshooting purposes to try to eliminate various factors...and active scanning can definitely slow things down, especially for something intensive like crypto operations, which are not instantaneous to begin with. Never hurts to try it. ;)

I'm sorry I couldn't collect the diagnostics before I did the reinstall. Will get it in case I hit this again.

No worries! I'm glad that it's at least working for you now. If it was still unusable and we had nothing to go on, then that would truly be a tragedy! And while hopefully you won't encounter any further issues, definitely send diagnostics so we can try to eliminate the problem entirely — or at least understand why it's happening. :chuffed:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@brenty I'll collect logs and send them your way.

@jfriend: Thanks so much! If we can figure out what's going on, we may be able to help you better — and help others avoid having the same issue! :chuffed:

Once you've sent them, I think it may be a reasonable thing to do to try reinstalling as davisjohn did. I wonder if some of the libraries 1Password depends on (especially for crypto operations, which it sounds like the problem may lie based on the descriptions here) are unregistered or suffer from permissions issues after the upgrade.

Repro steps are:

App:
    1. launch 1PW app.
    2. App hangs (not responding) on start
    3. When that clears enter password (note. no visable response by app to this),
    4. Finally shows the password dots. Hit enter.
    5. App now unlocked and ready...nope again, not responding
    6. Wait for that the clear.
    7. Try to search (perf okays)
    8. Click on help menu (Drops down but largely unresponsive).

Thanks so much! I highlighted #7 because it stood out to me, and I have a question for you: Are you using an OPVault or AgileKeychain vault when this happens? The reason I ask is that the overview data (title, URL) is not encrypted in AgileKeychain, so that might explain the okay-ish performance searching. I could be way off, but it's just a hunch.

Extension (Chrome)
    1. Hit ctrl \ on a page with login (works now, wasn't working yesterday)
    2. Click on extension icon (menu drops down) select search.
    3. Search window is non-responsive.

I really appreciate the detailed descriptions since I haven't been (un)lucky enough to experience this behaviour myself. We'll see if we can find a way.

Logs will be coming soon.

Thanks again! If you post the Support ID you receive here, we'll be able to track it down quicker so we can dig into this. Cheers! :)

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2016
    Options

@davisjohn Today, Microsoft has released a cumulative update for Windows 10 Version 1607 (KB3176495). I'm curious if this works better for you maybe.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.