Installing 1P 6 Win Beta, seeing numerous unknown login items

Options
henningklasen
henningklasen
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I've been using 1P 4 on Windows 7, syncing the password file on Dropbox. It's been working well for about a year. Decided to migrate to Families and created such account. This morning I started the migration to 1P 6 Beta on my work computer (all is set up and working on my Mac and Android phone).

I'd like to share my experience with the migration so you can identify and solve issues for the coming releases.

First I logged into my account at username.1password.com in Firefox, inputting the necessary credentials. All OK. Proceeded to install the Beta. When done I opened the app and started the setup to my vaults. Had some hiccups: I got a few messages that Internet Explorer couldn't display a web page, access denied to something and when I finally had the app running and (presumably) my local Dropbox-synced vault added, there were no items there. I started 1P 4 and could see my items there.

Not knowing what to do, I decided to add the Families account to 1P 6 beta. I went through the necessary steps (didn't try the QR scanner, sorry) and it worked. Suddenly my items from both local vault and 1P account were visible. Yay!

However, I see multiple login items in 1P 6 Beta that are not visible in 1P 4 or in the browser. They seem to reside in the local vault, but if I choose to display only items in the local vault, they are not shown. Selecting such an item displays no details in the pane to the right. Will attach screenshots. Can I delete these items?

Proceeded to install the browser extension. Initially it wouldn't connect to 1P 6 Beta, only 1P 4. So I uninstalled 1P 4 and restarted browser, it now connects to 1P 6 Beta so I can log into this forum for instance. I have passwords for office.com apps that can't be auto-filled after the migration to 1P 6. The extension displays the login item, but clicking on it does nothing. It's not a huge issue, and I can share details with you privately if you are interested.

As I understand it, I won't be able to save new passwords from the browser extension yet. I hope this feature is quite high on your list. :)

1Password Version: 1Password 6.0.184d, Firefox 47.0
Extension Version: 6.0.184d
OS Version: Windows 7 Enterprise SP1
Sync Type: Dropbox, Families
Referrer: forum-search:Extra login items

Comments

• henningklasen
    henningklasen
    Community Member
    Options

Update: some of the extra items do not display details when clicked, but many others do. May of the items seem related to logging in on my Windows computer, i.e. Active Directory logins. I can share more details if the AgileBits staff are interested but not in a public forum.

• @henningklasen thank you for sharing with us about your experience and sorry that it's not as smooth yet as we all want it.

...messages that Internet Explorer couldn't display a web page, access denied to something...

Yes, unfortunately something is changed recently and while Dropbox sign in process works, there are messages from browser that can looks scary. We are investigating it.

...didn't try the QR scanner...

QR scanner can be helpful, my personal pattern is to open 1Password Family account, go to Get The Apps page, screenshot whole screen (fn+space key, print screen key) or just a fragment with QR code (Windows+Shift+S if you have OneNote installed). Then using Scan QR Code -> From clipboard I can get all, except password, fields filled.

There are couple of issues that we are working to fix - one of them is stubborn refresh, sometimes your local data copy is updated and everything is fine, but screen "forgets" to refresh. That's why adding a vault from Dropbox may looks like nothing happened for a while.

...passwords for office.com apps that can't be auto-filled after the migration to 1P 6...

I believe we have office.com filling issue on our to-do list. We would be grateful if you can send us your log to support+windowsbeta@agilebits.com, just try to log in, when it fails, type /log in search box and hit ENTER, it will open log that you can forward to us.

... I won't be able to save new passwords from the browser extension yet. I hope this feature is quite high on your list

It is indeed, we just need to smooth few sharp edges before we proceed to login saving. I believe it won't be long ;)

I see multiple login items in 1P 6 Beta that are not visible in 1P 4 or in the browser.

There is another issue we are going to address in future updates - .agilekeychain folder based vaults import data poorly, sometimes showing conflict or deleted items. Typically when cryptic number is seen instead of nice title, that means that item decryption has failed and we use internal item id as title.

While fixes to .agilekeychain handling are coming soon, you may want to re-import your items using 1PIF file. To do that you need to export your items from 1Password 4 to 1PIF file. Then you can import these items into your 1Password Family account (all imported items will have a tag with import date/time, so you can delete them in bulk if you don't like it). 1PIF import is more polished than anything else, we are working to bring it's best bits to reading .agilekeychain and .opvault folders.

Hope that helps :)

• henningklasen
    henningklasen
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the help. I've exported the 1pif file and imported those items into my 1P Families account in a separate vault.

What I don't understand is why I'm seeing these "corrupted" items only in the Windows App? I'm on my Mac at home now, and there's not a trace of them. I thought they were in the local vault that is synced to Dropbox? Then they should show up in 1P 6 on my Mac as well, right?

For clarification: there is no harm in deleting the corrupted items from the Windows app, is that correct?

THanks!

• MikeT
    edited August 2016
    Options

Hi @henningklasen,

What I don't understand is why I'm seeing these "corrupted" items only in the Windows App? I'm on my Mac at home now, and there's not a trace of them. I thought they were in the local vault that is synced to Dropbox? Then they should show up in 1P 6 on my Mac as well, right?

They're in the local vault file but they aren't imported into the Mac app's internal database. 1Password on most platforms have extra code to detect when items shouldn't be imported and manually resolved, we do not have that code yet in 1Password 6 Beta for Windows. In fact, we had the same issue in the past for 1Password 4 until we added the code to ignore deleted and conflicted items, that's why you don't see it in 1Password 4 for Windows either.

That's why some of the items don't have anything in it, they were deleted but due to how syncing works, we empty the item's file and leave behind a shell, so the 1Password apps know to delete this item from their database. If we delete the file, one of the other 1Password apps will restore it, thinking it is a new file that was never sync'ed.

• henningklasen
    henningklasen
    Community Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

I've now migrated all items to 1P Families, so there are no items in the local (primary) vault that is synced via Dropbox. However, as you may know, the local vault's data/default/ folder is still full of .1password files. I guess that's what you're referring to in the answer above.

I still see the corrupted items in the 1P 6 Beta Win application. Selecting such an item and right clicking, selecting move to trash, does nothing. The item is still there in the list. I've found the corresponding .1password file for one such item and deleted it, but it does not get deleted in the app. Also, perhaps related, I can't empty the trash in the 1P6BetaWin app. There is no option to do so, or I can't find it.

How can I remove all these corrupted items from 1P 6 Beta Win? Can I do a clean install? Please help. Thanks.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @henningklasen,

If you've migrated all of your data, then you usually just have to close the local vault in the app.

Try this:

1. Open 1Password 6 Beta, unlock, and click on Settings on top right
    2. Select Accounts & Vaults, expand the Dropbox > 1Password (or the name of your vault) submenu, and then click on Remove.

It may take a few minutes for the app to clean up the database but after that, you should see none of the items anymore.

• henningklasen
    henningklasen
    Community Member
    Options

Followed the steps above but it didn't remove the corrupted items. However, due to a failed install of Build 197 I deleted everything 1P6Beta and started over. Now vault looks clean.

• mohamedosman
    mohamedosman
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @henningklasen, I'm glad you've got a clean vault; starting fresh is probably the best approach as it completely removes the corrupted items.

Could you tell me more about the failed installation?

• mohamedosman
    mohamedosman
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Nevermind about the installation issues @henningklasen, I see your comments in this thread

This discussion has been closed.