Sharing a password between master vault and vaults for our children

Options
bothpettitts
bothpettitts
Community Member

I'm still in the trial phase of 1Password for families having used 1Password on the Mac and IOS for years. My children have reached an age where having access to a limited subset of our main vault makes sense but I cannot figure out how to get passwords shared into their vaults to update when the main vault copy is updated.

For example if I have a password entry in the main vault for a service which I'm happy for the children to access under the family login I can share that password to their vaults and it shows up.

However if, perhaps during a routine audit of my passwords, I change the password in the main vault for that service the change does not propagate out to their vaults. Surely I don't have to then make that change in their vaults as well?

Can you tell me what I'm doing wrong?
Thanks
Dave

1Password Version: Web interface to 1Password for families
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: osx 10.11.5
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @bothpettitts,

Thanks for asking about this.

If you have multiple copies of items in 1Password, it's just like having multiple copies of a file on your computer. If you edit one copy, that doesn't affect any other copies.

What you want to do is just have a single copy of the item in the vault you share with your children. Since you have access to it, you can use it and edit it as usual. If you want to make sure your children don't edit it, make sure they only have "View Only" access to the vault.

Let me know how it goes. :)

• bothpettitts
    bothpettitts
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Khad. I think I understand what you mean. Effectively I take the item out of my main vault and put it into my children's vault so it only exists in one place but I can still access it and use it when I view all vaults? Have I got it?
    Cheers
    Dave

• Spaceman
    Spaceman
    Community Member
    Options

bothpettitts, thanks for asking this. I was seeking the answer to this exact question.

khad, thanks for your response to bothpettitts. I would like to pose a possible feature update where a 'shared' password is actually just an 'alias' of the real one. That way I could keep all of my passwords in one vault for ease of finding and managing and have the 'shared' version be updated when I update the main one.

• bothpettitts
    bothpettitts
    Community Member
    Options

Spaceman, I entirely agree. That would be an awesome feature.
    Dave

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @bothpettitts

Effectively I take the item out of my main vault and put it into my children's vault so it only exists in one place but I can still access it and use it when I view all vaults? Have I got it?

Yes, that's just right! :chuffed:

@Spaceman: that's an interesting idea, however keep in mind that you can do something that has very similar functionality: use 1Password in All Vaults view. It would for sure have the part of it being easy to find, but it also would allow you to narrow things down in case you need it!

If you have any more questions or if there's anything else that you'd like to know, just let us know, we're always here for you! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.