Is data stored locally, or do I need a constant internet connection?

Options
Drew_AG
Drew_AG
1Password Alumni
This discussion was created from comments split from: Is there a file created when syncing to iCloud?.

Comments

• halberstadt
    halberstadt
    Community Member
    Options

Does this mean that when using the "new" 1Password apps, with AgileBits cloud sync, there is no local file available? That is, if you do not use DropBox, you must have internet access to use the app?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @halberstadt,

Your question is actually quite a bit different from the one in the previous discussion, so I've moved your post to a separate thread. I hope you don't mind!

To answer your question: The app will still work even if you're not connected to the internet. If you use a 1Password account, your data syncs to each device through our servers, but a copy of that data is stored locally on each device. So 1Password still works even if you don't have an internet connection, although any changes you make won't sync to/from other devices until the app can connect to our server again.

If you have more questions about that or need anything else, just let us know - we're always happy to help! :)

• halberstadt
    halberstadt
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Drew. I'm a long time user, with Dropbox sync, but did not see a good outline of "how it works" for the new 1Password releases. Since the sync process seems functionally the same as with Dropbox, can you comment on the advantages of the subscription version over the older free version?

• Ben
    Options

Hi @halberstadt

We have a chart with a comparison between the two:

This is a comparison between 1Password Families and a standalone license for the desktop apps, but most of the same information would apply to an individual subscription as well (obviously individual accounts only allow for one individual whereas 1Password Families includes up to 5, and account recovery is not currently possible without stepping up to 1Password Families).

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• halberstadt
    halberstadt
    Community Member
    Options

That actually leaves me more confused. To me, it seems that there are several (subscription) varieties now of 1Password:
    1Password ($2.99/mo) (Not included in your chart)
    1Password for Families ($4.99/mo)
    1Password for Teams - Standard ($3.99/mo/user)
    1Password for Teams - Pro ($11.99/mo/user)
    It seems impossible to find all these compared in one place, much less compared to the previous 1Password and 1Password Pro apps. My original question was how to compare the previous 1Password to the subscription (2.99/mo) 1Password.

Bill Halberstadt

• Ben
    Ben
    edited August 2016
    Options

Bill,

We don't include 1Password Teams in any comparisons because it is geared at a totally different audience from our other offerings. If you are buying for a company, 1Password Teams is the way to go. If not, you probably have no need. It includes things like granular access permissions etc which wouldn't apply to individuals, and would be too advanced for most families.

The comparisons that may make sense would be:

1Password (license) vs 1Password (subscription) vs 1Password Families.

If you're buying for just yourself we can rule out 1Password Families. The individual subscription gives you everything 1Password Families does, but for one person. If you'd like to share any 1Password data with your family then 1Password Families is the way to go.

So that leaves the comparison between an individual subscription and an individual license. The main differences are:

Individual subscription:

• Uses 1Password service to store and sync your data. Simply sign into your account on any device using either our native apps or through the website to access all of your 1Password data.
    • Subscription includes access to the latest version of all native apps for as long as your subscription is in good standing. Always up to date. Also includes access to the Pro features on mobile platforms.

Individual license:

• Data is stored only on the device you enter it on by default. Options to sync via iCloud, Dropbox, or WLAN server are available. Configuration of one of these services is required in order to access your data from multiple devices. If not using on multiple devices, will still want to consider setting up sync so data exists in more than one place (disaster recovery).
    • License includes access to the current version of our desktop apps. Upgrades are sold separately. Pro features for mobile are also sold separately.

In short the license may be the better option for a technical do-it yourself'er who wants more control and flexibility. Otherwise we recommend the subscription option for the ease of use and "set it and forget it" environment.

If you have any specific questions about any of these offerings or would like clarification on any of these points please feel free to ask. In general the answer as to which option is appropriate is as simple ask asking "who am I buying for?"

Ben

• halberstadt
    halberstadt
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Ben.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @halberstadt,

I’m so glad that @Ben’s reply helped to explain things! If you have any further questions about 1Password, we’re always here for you. :)

This discussion has been closed.