Getting 1Password to work in Chrome

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: Chrome extension, Windows 10 and 1Password 6.

Comments

• Tims_AgileBits
    Tims_AgileBits
    Community Member
    Options

I have similar symptoms. Windows 10, Chrome. Just installed the extensions.
    With the Agile1PAgent/1Password(32-bit) process killed (via task mgr) I click the 1Password icon (upper right corner) and get "Looking for the 1Password helper The 1Password helper must be running for the extension to work properly."
    and
    "Either the helper is not running, or something is preventing it from communicating with the 1Password browser extension."
    I click "Try Again" to get a login box for 1Password 4; and, of course, the process is again listed in task mgr.

How do I get the Google Extension to communicate with 1Password Family?

History:
    prior to today, used !Password 4 on another computer. Current Computer had only 1Password Beta for Win10. Only used Edge on current computer.
    This afternoon created 1Password Family account (trial) and installed current 1Password Alpha from Windows Store
    installed Chrome then installed extensions.
    When prompted by a 'quest' I installed the app and got 1Password 4 - which I connected to my OneDrive .agilekeychain.

Chrome Extensions does save login info - but not to the new 1Password (only to v4).
    Within v4 I see no means to login to the 1Password Family account

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Tims_AgileBits: It isn't clear from your description, but I suspect you may be opening 1Password 4 (or have it running in the background already) when you're having these issues. It is simplest to uninstall 1Password 4 if you'd like to use 1Password 6 with your browsers, but there are a few other ways to make sure that 1Password 4 doesn't take over browser integration:

1. DON'T open 1Password 4
    2. End Task 1Password (32-bit)/Agile1PAgent.exe in Task Manager
    3. Open 1Password 6 and unlock it
    4. Allow 1Password 6 to register itself as the default app for browser integration

So long as you don't launch 1Password 4, 1Password 6 will be in charge. If you do launch 1Password 4, you'll probably need to close it and kill its Helper/Agent process again to allow 1Password 6 to take over. I hope this helps! :)

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @Tims_AgileBits,

Don't use the 1Password 6 Beta from the Windows Store, it doesn't support browser extensions at the moment. Use the desktop version of 1Password 6 Beta from here. We also list this version in the Get the Apps page on your 1Password.com site, click on the account name on top right to select Get the Apps.

1. First, terminate Agile1pAgent.exe again via Task Manager and also, in the Startup tab of Task Manager, disable 1Password on the list, so it doesn't auto-start upon reboots.
    2. Once 1Password 6 Beta (desktop) is installed, open it, sign in to your 1Password account and unlock the app.
    3. With 1Password 6 unlocked and running, open Chrome, and click on 1Password. You should now see 1Password mini shows up.

I hope this helps.

• Tims_AgileBits
    Tims_AgileBits
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty I uninstalled 1Password 4 (control panel/Uninstall app). Then closed all browser windows.

Now when Chrome is started, I click the 1Password icon (upper right) and get the message:
    "You'll need a new app to open this onepassword4-extension. Look for an app in the Store"

As I mentioned (in my now missing posting) I do have 1Password 6 installled (it shows up as "1Password Trusted Windows Store app" in the Start window. When I launch it, I can see my single new entry, and the old items from my .agilekeychain.

As you'd expect, ctrl-\ doesn't work any more.

• MikeT
    Options
    This discussion was created from comments split from: Chrome extension, Windows 10 and 1Password 6.
  • MikeT
    Options

Hi @Tims_AgileBits,

I've split your posts out from the other thread and moved it to its own thread here. Did you see my reply above? You have to install the desktop version of 1Password 6 Beta, not the Windows Store app.

• Tims_AgileBits
    Tims_AgileBits
    Community Member
    Options

Yes thanks. I have downloaded "AgileBits.OnePassword.Desktop.msi" . Nothing happens when I double-click, nor when I right-click/install.

According to control panel I have .Net 4.5, 4.5.1, 4.5.2, 4.6, 4.6.1 installed

Nothing happens means I see absolutely no response - no window, no error, no anything. Is a log created somewhere?
    (it's as if it is already installed.

• Tims_AgileBits
    Tims_AgileBits
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT In response to my 'it appears installed' comment eariler:

When I click Start I see "1Password Trusted windows store app".
    However, I see no entry in control panel/uninstall:
    none of these:

• 1Password
    • AgileBits
    • OnePassword

I don't think Windows Store apps appear here, but I'd have thought the desktop app would appear.

• Tims_AgileBits
    Tims_AgileBits
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT Ok. a step forward. I rebooted the PC. With nothing else started, right-click/Install the MSI.

Norton pops up warning the file is new. (likely my earlier problem was a Norton error, not AgileBits). I accept, ad install.

I launch 1Password 6 (when appear in control panel as that name) and connect to my .agilekeychain, and sign-in to my 1Password account. Selecting each vault I can see the expected entires.

• Tims_AgileBits
    Tims_AgileBits
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT With 1Password 6 open, and showing all vaults, I open Chrome and launch Audible.com. Log out. Open the login page.

When I press ctrl-\ I see a blank pop-up. Choose the .agilekeychain vault. and I see the relevant entries.
    Same is true when I use the icon (upper right).

Conclusion: success

I'l explore some more, now that I can - thank you

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @Tims_AgileBits,

I'm glad you're making progress and we'll keep an eye on Norton, it's likely one of the behavioral rule that blocks any new files that no other users are using. We'll see if they can whitelist the file for us based on the code signature.

When I press ctrl-\ I see a blank pop-up. Choose the .agilekeychain vault. and I see the relevant entries.

When you click on the relevant Login item, did it not fill on Audible.com? All Vaults should be showing all Login items that matches against Audible.com.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Tims_AgileBits: Also note that, unless you're a super-old-school Audible customer, you won't actually have Audible login credentials. Audible has been using Amazon login credentials for at least a few years now. Are you perhaps having trouble there because you're at Audible.com but your login item is saved for Amazon.com, or vice versa? If you'll let me know the URLs you're using and the exact steps you're taking I'll be happy to look into this. Thanks in advance!

• Tims_AgileBits
    Tims_AgileBits
    Community Member
    Options

I merely create two login entries, one for Audible.com another for Amazon.com.
    Same credentials for each, but the relevant entry appears when I ctrl+\

The login page is different at each URL - even though both are owned by Amazon

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Tims_AgileBits: Can you give me an example? I'm not having any trouble filling my own Audible login in Chrome with 1Password 6. But without knowing the URL and Chrome and extension versions you're using and the exact steps you're taking ll will be difficult to figure out why you're having a different experience.

• Tims_AgileBits
    Tims_AgileBits
    Community Member
    Options

Not sure this is repeatable, but....

audible

amazon

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Tims_AgileBits: In both cases it fills for me in the stable version of Chrome (52.0.2743.116 m) with the stable 1Password extension (4.5.8.90). Are those the URLs where you're trying to fill the login in Chrome? Or are they the URLs you have saved in the Login items in 1Password? It would be really helpful to know. I was trying to save you the trouble of a lot of back and forth. :(

This discussion has been closed.