How much space does 1Password need on Dropbox and support for OneDrive any time soon?

phoenixrizing
phoenixrizing
Community Member

1) Periodically, I check my Dropbox account to make sure nothing old stays there for long. I've noticed that my 1Password directory stored there is getting larger over time, including files dating back to Dec. 2014 (1Password > 1Password 2.agilekeychain > default > files). This comes to about 25MB, which isn't that much, but when you only have a 5G Dropbox account with a lot of other people in my family depending on getting to their files, it can be considered quite a chunk of space.

So what are those files and do I need them? Doesn't 1Password do a self-check to delete files it no longer needs?

2) And this brings me to a related question: forgive me if I've overlooked this somehow, but will 1Password be built to live on OneDrive at some point in the future?

1Password Version: 4.6.0.604
Extension Version: 4.5.890
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Hi @phoenixrizing,

So what are those files and do I need them? Doesn't 1Password do a self-check to delete files it no longer needs?

The size depends on what you put in 1Password and yes, 1Password do remove any files that is no longer needed, such as deleted items that has been emptied from the trash. If you didn't empty the trash, then they'll remain in your vault file forever.

The large share of that size is likely the file attachments you've added to 1Password, they're encrypted and stored in the files directory.

If you want to avoid taking up too much space, then you should remove any file attachments in 1Password and store it elsewhere. There are also custom icons that are stored in your data file if you use that as well.

And this brings me to a related question: forgive me if I've overlooked this somehow, but will 1Password be built to live on OneDrive at some point in the future?

If you're not syncing to any mobile devices, you can already use OneDrive to sync your 1Password folder; move your 1Password data folder in there and configure 1Password to read that folder on other computers. If you're using an older Windows 8 computers, you have to make sure to make 1Password folder available offline before you can use it.

The next version of 1Password for Windows may include support for OneDrive sync, we've already built it in 1Password 6 Beta and it should make the cut in the future when it becomes a stable version.

• phoenixrizing
    phoenixrizing
    Community Member

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your quick reply.

The attachments make perfect sense to me now. And now I know those are special directories that to pay attention to.

Actually, I am syncing with mobile devices, but good to know that there are plans to have OneDrive sync support.

Thanks again.

• Hi @phoenixrizing,

You're welcome!

Actually, I am syncing with mobile devices, but good to know that there are plans to have OneDrive sync support.

Are you using Android devices or iOS? If you're using Android devices, it includes support for Folder Sync and in this case, you could use the OneDrive app to store the folder on the device's storage and use 1Password to sync with that folder. For iOS, we must explicitly do all the work since there's no user-accessible file system to enable support for Folder Sync, so while it would be nice to support it, it may take a while before it happens.

• phoenixrizing
    phoenixrizing
    Community Member

Folder Sync? I'm interested. :)

Yes, I'm using Android. So if I move the folder to OneDrive, then download it to my phone with the OneDrive app, and make it available offline, that should set things right for me, correct?

I have a family license, so will this impact them? Or would I have to share the folder with them and then have them repeat the process above for their phones? That's a lot of syncing, but would be very cool if it works.

• Hi @phoenixrizing,

Yes, I'm using Android. So if I move the folder to OneDrive, then download it to my phone with the OneDrive app, and make it available offline, that should set things right for me, correct?

Yes, it should.

I have a family license, so will this impact them? Or would I have to share the folder with them and then have them repeat the process above for their phones? That's a lot of syncing, but would be very cool if it works.

I'm not sure what you mean, the family license lets you share the same license with 5 other family members who can install 1Password on their computer and use their own data in 1Password. They can sync their own folders via OneDrive or whichever sync method they want to use.

Do you mean you have an extra vault that you're sharing with your family members and you'd like to sync the shared vault via OneDrive like this?

• phoenixrizing
    phoenixrizing
    Community Member

Yes, I have only one vault that my wife and I use.

• MikeT
    edited August 2016

Hi @phoenixrizing,

Are you guys using the same OneDrive account? If you have separate accounts, you should be able to share the folder between both accounts as long as you give your wife the full permission as described in this support article.

That should then work with FolderSync across your Android devices and PCs.

• phoenixrizing
    phoenixrizing
    Community Member

Having a little trouble, Mike. :(

Here's what I did (again, using Android):

1) I moved my 1password folder from dropbox to OneDrive.

2) I thought I could tell 1Password to point to the new location, but judging from my experience and the support article you provided, it doesn't work that way. So I uninstalled and reinstalled 1Password (if this is the correct method, I didn't see this in the article, so it might need to be updated).

3) Launched the newly installed app and was prompted to select my choice of sync. I chose local storage, but then got a message saying that Screen Overlay was detected and that I need to disable it. This is where it got frustrating.

When presented with the list of apps that had this feature enabled (on the Enabled screen), of which 1Password was at the top, there was no way to disable it. I switched to the Apps with Permissions screen and 1Password was not included on the list.

I've seen this before with other apps and never understood how to work around it. Maybe it's an Android thing?

Anyway, that's when I decided to link by to my Dropbox folder again until I could have your assistance.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

3) Launched the newly installed app and was prompted to select my choice of sync. I chose local storage, but then got a message saying that Screen Overlay was detected and that I need to disable it. This is where it got frustrating.

@phoenixrizing: That does sound frustrating! Can you elaborate? That doesn't sound like it has anything to do with 1Password at all, so I'm a bit confused. Be sure to let us know the exact steps you're taking.

When presented with the list of apps that had this feature enabled (on the Enabled screen), of which 1Password was at the top, there was no way to disable it. I switched to the Apps with Permissions screen and 1Password was not included on the list.
    I've seen this before with other apps and never understood how to work around it. Maybe it's an Android thing?

Which feature are you referring to? And be sure to let us know the OS and 1Password versions you're using as well.

Anyway, that's when I decided to link by to my Dropbox folder again until I could have your assistance.

While we're not able to provide support for 3rd party services or apps like Dropbox and OneDrive, we're happy to help in any way we can and at least point you in the right direction. We'll get this sorted out. I look forward to hearing back from you! :)

• phoenixrizing
    phoenixrizing
    Community Member

Thanks, Brenty.

Before I proceed, can you please confirm that I must uninstall and then reinstall the app in order to change locations? I want to make sure if that's a known or new issue.

The version I'm using is 6.3.3.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@phoenixrizing: It sounds like you're referring to 1Password for Android, but please let me know if that's not the case since you didn't specify.

If you are talking about 1Password for Android, then yes: you'll need to reinstall the app in order to reconfigure sync completely. You'll use the Folder Sync option instead and point it to your OneDrive data in that case. I hope this helps! :)

• phoenixrizing
    phoenixrizing
    Community Member

Brenty,

Yes, that is correct: Android.

Given that no mention has been made of your QA team experiencing the same thing while testing it on Android OS v6.0.1 (what I'm currently using), I'm pretty confident that uninstalling and reinstalling is going to produce the same results with regard to the Screen Overlay.

I don't think it's 1Password's fault, but the Android OS. However, if you team does find a solution or knows about a correction being made to the OS, then please post it here.

For now, I'll continue to use Dropbox. Thank you for your assistance.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@phoenixrizing: I guess I'm not understanding the screen overlay issue you're describing. I'd very much like to, in case there's a workaround we can offer, or an improvement we can make in the future.

To be clear, 1Password for Android prevents screenshots from being taken for security reasons. But given your description, I'm not sure how this would affect OneDrive. I'm going to ask others if this rings a bell, but any additional details you can provide may help as well.

• @phoenixrizing By chance are you using a screen filtering app like Twilight, Lux, or Night Mode? Also, do you have developer options enabled in your device settings, and are you using a custom ROM?

• phoenixrizing
    phoenixrizing
    Community Member

brenty and peri, thanks for digging. :)

To answer peri's questions, no, I don't not have any of those apps or types of apps running. And I'm not using a custom ROM.

I do have develop options enabled, however. I just now turned it on when I was searching online to find out how to directly access the screen overlay settings. These settings are not in developer options; this was just a happy accident.

I did find how to get to the setting though: Settings > Device > Applications > Application Manager > More > Apps that can appear on top.

It's there that you will find the Enabled/Disabled/Apps with permission panels that I was referring to earlier.

To recap the issue on that panel though, it doesn't respond to any changes to settings, at least that I can find. It just lets me switch to Enabled/Disabled/Apps with permissions. 1Password is set to off when I get there but I wouldn't let me change it anyway. That's why I don't think it's the app, but the OS that's confused.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@phoenixrizing: Oh wow. Yeah, that does seem like Android is a bit confused. And here I thought it was me! I'm not sure what we can do to help in that case, since it sounds like it is incorrectly detecting permissions, but we can certainly try. I've moved this discussion to the Android category since that's what we're primarily concerned with here. What type of device is this? I wonder if others are experiencing the same thing. :dizzy:

• phoenixrizing
    phoenixrizing
    Community Member

Thanks, brenty. It's the Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge.

• MikeT
    edited August 2016

Hi @phoenixrizing,

That device is really tempting for me, I really want one but I'd rather wait to see if Samsung would improve on their software update policy, plus the expected Nexus updates soon.

I suspect your issue may be due to a bug in the Samsung's ROM, not Android itself as each manufacturer produces their own version of Android.

I've moved this thread to our Android forum and our Android team will follow up, they might have some ideas. /cc @peri

• peri
    edited August 2016

By chance is the vault you have (and were trying to sync using OneDrive) in OPVault format, or is it an .agilekeychain vault? @phoenixrizing

• phoenixrizing
    phoenixrizing
    Community Member

peri,

I'm going to say .agilekeychain because I've never bothered to change it from the default. agilekeychain is the default, correct?

And just with my little bit of understanding regarding the screen overlay, I know that has to do with apps that have the ability to put a window on top of another app. I'm guessing this is related to 1Password's ability to autofill.

I don't use this feature, but I believe that's what makes this screen overlay component an issue even though Samsung may be to blame.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@phoenixrizing: AgileKeychain was previously the default, but earlier this year OPVault became the default. Depending on when and where you created the vault it could be one or the other, so the simplest way to know is to look at the filename. Please let me know what you find! :)

• phoenixrizing
    phoenixrizing
    Community Member

It's AgileKeychain.

• Thanks for the update, @phoenixrizing. Since OPVault vaults aren't supported with local storage sync, I was wondering if you were just seeing an incorrect error message when trying to sync an unsupported vault. However, that doesn't seem to be the case. @saad Do you believe that autofill could be causing the overlay error?

• @peri @phoenixrizing 1Password’s accessibility service that allows automatic filling does not draw on overlay on the screen, so I don’t believe it is the reason behind this warning. This service works with the 1Password keyboard to allow filling in third-party apps and browsers.

I would recommend going into Settings > Applications > Application Manager > More > Apps that can appear on top and disable all apps with the ability to draw over other apps. Be sure to show system apps too from the same menu in case they are drawing on top. Give 1Password a try again and let us know if you can approve local storage permission now.

• phoenixrizing
    phoenixrizing
    Community Member

I was installing another app where I encountered the same thing about the overlays, so I thought I'd take it one step further by disabling all apps listed in the Enabled panel. There were quite a few, so I recorded them so that I could refer back to it and re-enable them (this wasn't thought out very well by Google :( ).

With that done, I uninstalled 1Password and reinstalled it. I also moved the entire directory I have on Dropbox to my OneDrive account. I shared it with my wife too (for reasons mentioned above).

I had to stop the process. Here are my reasons/questions:

1) When prompted in the app, I'm given the choice to "Sign in to your 1Password account" or "Use without an account". The intuitive choice would be the first one, but it's asking for information that I'm not aware of (Scan QR code or Sign in manually). Where's the QR code? And if I sign-in manually it asks for a sign-in address (what is that?) and account key, which I thought would be my license, but I couldn't tell because I couldn't fill out the sign-in address field.

Which path do I choose?

2) Then there's OneDrive. It won't let me save a folder offline (which doesn't make sense either), so I tried just selecting what I thought was the vault (1Password\1Password 2.agilekeychain). I guess I didn't choose well because 1Password didn't find a vault in the Download folder on my phone, which apparently is the only place I can save it offline from OD.

For now, I'm going to go back to Dropbox.

Sorry for all the challenges here guys and gal, but I could use more of your help please. Thanks.

• phoenixrizing
    phoenixrizing
    Community Member

I forgot to mention that disabling all of the apps with permission for screen overlay did allow me to complete the installation for the other app I was installing as well as 1Password.

• Thanks for the update, @phoenixrizing. As to your first question, "1Password account" refers to our new hosted service. Since you're syncing a local vault, you will indeed want to choose USE WITHOUT AN ACCOUNT.

That said, I"m glad you were able to get Dropbox sync working. If you need help switching to local storage syncing in order to use OneDrive, or anything else, just let us know. Thanks again!

• phoenixrizing
    phoenixrizing
    Community Member

Thank you, peri. I've always had Dropbox syncing working. I was trying to move it to OneDrive and getting it to local sync. This post has the latest details: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/325652/#Comment_325652

• Sorry, @phoenixrizing. I'm a little confused here, and honestly not too familiar with OneDrive. Are you able to move your 1Password.agilekeychain folder into your Downloads folder in local storage so that you can sync using the mobile OneDrive app?

• radwerkz
    radwerkz
    Community Member

@pheonixrizing if your keychain file is only 25 MB I'd say the frustration of syncing an Android phone to a Windows drive isn't worth the pain, or security risk. If you're Android and your Wife is Windows phone, then oaky... deal with it, otherwise save yourself the headache and move on LOL. Just my 2 cents, best of luck

This discussion has been closed.