More items in a folder than indicated.

Options
DCIFRTHS
DCIFRTHS
Community Member

Next to each folder and category there is a number indicating how many item are contained within. I noticed that within several of my folders, there were more items than the number beside it indicated. My solution was to identify all of the items in the folder, and copy them from the category into the folder again. This made the item count match the number f items within the folder. I assume the "unrecognized" folder items were copied back, and the "recognized" items were not duplicated (as I tested before doing this on a mass scale).

My concerns:
What could cause this behavior? Ask me anything that may help you in diagnosing this.
Could there be corruption in my database? If so, do you have a tool to check and repair?
If this is a legitimate bug, and not user error, has it been reported, and is there a fix on the way?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• DCIFRTHS
    DCIFRTHS
    Community Member
    Options

I'm also on 6.3.2, and sync with iOS - via Wi-Fi.

• DCIFRTHS
    DCIFRTHS
    Community Member
    Options

@Drew_AG @Pilar @brenty - not sure who to address this to, so I added names I've seen in posts that have the agilebits logo associated with them.

Any info on this issue? It has me concerned that I may lose data. I know I have backups, but that doesn't make me feel any better :)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @DCIFRTHS,

I'm sorry we weren't able to reply to this thread sooner! Our support forums have been a bit busier than usual over the past several days.

Just to be sure I understand: In the main 1Password app, some of your Folders were showing an incorrect item count (they contained more items than the number next to the folder was showing). You re-added the items to the folder(s), and now the item count is correct.

If that's what happened, there's no need to be concerned about losing data - your items are all fine! This sounds like a problem with the folders themselves, and is likely related to a bug from an older version of 1Password which caused folders to show the wrong number. That was solved for new folders created after that point, but older folders might still show an incorrect item count.

It's possible that simply re-adding the items to those folders will solve the problem. But if for some reason the problem happens again, you can create a new folder and move the items from an old/problematic folder to the new one (once you've emptied the old folder, you can delete it).

I apologize for the inconvenience! Please let us know how it goes, thanks! :)

• DCIFRTHS
    DCIFRTHS
    Community Member
    Options

@Drew_AG

Where should I recreate the problem folders (all of them I believe)? On the desktop or iOS software? Please answer here in this thread.

Are you sure this isn't related to the problem that @eltel is having? I thought that was why he posted in response to my issue. I will go that thread, and post more comments there.

Thanks!

• Hi @DCIFRTHS ,

We've had another report of this happens. I don't think it's a corruption bug, but a display bug. The sidebar that shows the counts just isn't getting the notification that the number of items change. I have a question for you: if, after a sync, you notice the number of items are incorrect, try to do a sync again. Does the number fix itself on the next sync?

Thanks,
    Kevin

• DCIFRTHS
    DCIFRTHS
    Community Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

@ag_kevin:

Is the problem, in this thread, the same problem as listed here? @Drew_AG broke the thread off from this thread when @eltel responded to my first post. If they are the same issue, can the threads be merged again?

• DCIFRTHS
    DCIFRTHS
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_kevin said: I have a question for you: if, after a sync, you notice the number of items are incorrect, try to do a sync again. Does the number fix itself on the next sync?

I will try this as soon as I can, and get back to you.

• eltel
    eltel
    Community Member
    Options

I can answer that - no it doesn't. I've synced many times with new or deleted items but the count remains the same.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @DCIFRTHS,

Sorry for any confusion about this! We're still trying to figure out for sure if there are two different item count issues happening here, or just one. The item count problem that eltel reported is only happening in the iOS version of 1Password, and is only happening to the item counts for Categories. In one of your replies, it sounds like you're running into that same problem on iOS.

If I understand your original post here, 1Password for Mac shows the correct item count for Categories in the sidebar, but shows the wrong item count for Folders. But that doesn't seem to be a problem for eltel, who said the item count is correct for Folders in 1Password for Mac. So it sounded to me like there are two different issues - a problem with the item count for Folders in 1Password for Mac, and a problem with the item count for Categories in 1Password for iOS. They do seem very similar though, and it's possible they'll turn out to be two sides of the same coin.

To avoid confusion, let's focus on the Mac version of 1Password for now. Let us know if the item count is correct after another sync or if it still shows the wrong number. If the item count is still incorrect, you can also try restarting 1Password mini: From the main 1Password app, go to Help > Troubleshooting > Restart 1Password mini. After it restarts, unlock 1Password and check the Folder item counts - are they still wrong?

• DCIFRTHS
    DCIFRTHS
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry for any confusion about this! We're still trying to figure out for sure if there are two different item count issues happening here, or just one. The item count problem that eltel reported is only happening in the iOS version of 1Password, and is only happening to the item counts for Categories. In one of your replies, it sounds like you're running into that same problem on iOS.

Correct.

If I understand your original post here, 1Password for Mac shows the correct item count for Categories in the sidebar, but shows the wrong item count for Folders.

Correct.

To avoid confusion, let's focus on the Mac version of 1Password for now. Let us know if the item count is correct after another sync or if it still shows the wrong number. If the item count is still incorrect, you can also try restarting 1Password mini: From the main 1Password app, go to Help > Troubleshooting > Restart 1Password mini. After it restarts, unlock 1Password and check the Folder item counts - are they still wrong?

When this problem first happened, I manually fixed the folder counts by re-dragging all the items that were supposed to be in the folder (I noted this in my post at the beginning of this thread).

I will do another sync, and let you know the outcome. I will also try the restart if the item counts are wrong.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @DCIFRTHS,

Thanks for confirming that! As Megan explained in the other thread, there's a known issue which can currently cause an incorrect item count for Categories in 1Password for iOS. Our developers are working on that, but I don't have a timeframe for when to expect a fix. I'm sorry for the inconvenience!

ref: OPI-884

If you're seeing the wrong item count for Folders in 1Password for Mac, that's a different problem, and is the one I referred to a few weeks ago when you opened this thread. Re-dragging the correct items into the folders seems to have fixed it for you, and there's a good chance that's all you needed to do. But if for some reason the problem starts happening to those same folders again, try creating new folders and move the items from the old/problematic folders to the new ones.

We're here for you if you need more help with that! :)

• DCIFRTHS
    DCIFRTHS
    Community Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

@Drew_AG

Thanks for confirming that! As Megan explained in the other thread, there's a known issue which can currently cause an incorrect item count for Categories in 1Password for iOS.

If you're seeing the wrong item count for Folders in 1Password for Mac, that's a different problem, and is the one I referred to a few weeks ago when you opened this thread.

Are both problems being addressed, or just the category bug? Am I the only one that haas reported the Folder count being off?

Thanks!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @DCIFRTHS,

Are both problems being addressed, or just the category bug? Am I the only one that haas reported the Folder count being off?

As I mentioned in my first reply to you a few weeks ago:

This sounds like a problem with the folders themselves, and is likely related to a bug from an older version of 1Password which caused folders to show the wrong number. That was solved for new folders created after that point, but older folders might still show an incorrect item count.

From what you've told us, it sounds like you're no longer having a problem with the item count for folders in 1Password on your Mac because it started working correctly when you re-dragged the items into those folders. If I misunderstood and that didn't solve the problem, or if the problem happens again for those same folders, then as I explained yesterday, you'll need to create new folders to replace them (you can simply drag the items from the old folder to the new folder).

New folders should not have the same problem. But if for some reason you create a brand new folder and it starts showing the wrong item count, please let us know as that would seem to be a new issue that we'd need to look into.

Thanks! :)

This discussion has been closed.