Unable to re-enable sync with existing file in "TeamName Dropbox"

Options
Drew_AG
Drew_AG
1Password Alumni
This discussion was created from comments split from: Dropbox Sync None after Update.

Comments

• domster83
    domster83
    Community Member
    Options

I've just joined my personal dropbox to a team, and now rather than having ~/Dropbox (TeamName) and ~/Dropbox (Personal), the folders have been renamed to ~/Personal Dropbox and ~/TeamName Dropbox
    When I try and reconnect to the 1Password vault in ~/TeamName Dropbox, it doesn't seem to do anything. I'm guessing the selection process is looking for a folder that starts with "Dropbox" which doesn't seem to be the default now.
    I figure I can probably just use Folder sync instead, but I'm guessing this may need some investigation?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @domster83,

It sounds like the problem you're running into is a bit different than the one in the previous discussion, so I've moved your message to a new thread. I hope you don't mind!

Sorry to hear you're having trouble re-enabling sync with the file in Dropbox! I'm sure we'll be able to figure this out. You said that when you try reconnecting to the sync file in Dropbox, "it doesn't seem to do anything". Can you elaborate on that? What are the exact steps you're taking to re-enable sync, where exactly are you getting stuck, and what do you see happen (or not happen) on the screen at that point? Also, what version of 1Password are you using on your Mac? (From the main app, go to 1Password > About 1Password in the menubar to find the exact version number.)

Once we know a bit more about that, we should have a better idea of how to get things working again. Thanks in advance! :)

• domster83
    domster83
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Drew
    When I open prefs and go to Sync, my Dropbox vault shows 'None' in the dropdown. I select it, pick Dropbox, then it opens the small grey window. I click the Choose button, select my folder, click OK, the file/folder picker disappears, and thats it. I see the same 'click here to find the dropbox folder' dialog.
    I have tried with the top level dropbox folder, the subfolder its in (called 1Password Sync) and even clicking the .agilekeychain file.
    To confirm, the full path to it is ~/TeamName My Files/1Password Sync/VaultName.agilekeychain
    In my case, it was the Dropbox app that renamed my folder to "Teamname My Files"

This all came about when I tried to upgrade my basic Dropbox account and it upgraded my work not my personal account, so I deleted the team, and recreated it after the upgrade. Previously the vault was found at ~/Dropbox (TeamName)/1Password Sync/VaultName.agilekeychain

1Password
    Version 6.3.2 (632000)
    Mac App Store

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @domster83,

I'm sorry for the delay in getting back to you about this! Thank you for those details, they definitely help.

From your description, what I think is happening is that 1Password isn't recognizing the "Teamname My Files" folder as your official Dropbox folder. For example, if I put a .agilekeychain file on the Desktop of my Mac, then choose Dropbox for one of my vaults and try to select that file, it does exactly what you described - it just goes back to the same "Click here to find the Dropbox folder..." dialog. (I think that's more or less the same theory you had, too.)

As a quick test, can you please try this:

• Copy the .agilekeychain file to the Desktop.
    • Go back to the Sync settings in 1Password, but this time choose Folder as the sync option.
    • Click the Choose button and select the .agilekeychain from the Desktop.

This time, does it show you the file path and a "Merge With Existing" button? If so, go ahead and click Cancel (there's no need to actually sync with the file on the Desktop, I just wanted to make sure that's how it behaves for you, as that will help to confirm the issue here). Let us know how that goes and we'll continue from there. Thanks!

• domster83
    domster83
    Community Member
    Options

Yes! I get the merge option (and I cancelled it)
    I think you're right, I'm guessing the Dropbox sync is looking for something in the folder name perhaps.

I can't remember how, but I also did something and got given the option to change the .agilekeychain to .opvault.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @domster83,

Thanks for confirming that! I wonder if this might have something to do with the name of the Dropbox folders - I would have expected them to be named ~/Dropbox (Personal) and ~/Dropbox (TeamName) (like you mentioned in your first message). Did you rename them to ~/Personal Dropbox and ~/TeamName Dropbox yourself, or did that happen automatically?

I don't have a Dropbox team/business account to test right now, but I'll see if I can find any information about this. In the meantime, can you confirm that those folders are working correctly with Dropbox? For example if you copy a file into the ~/TeamName Dropbox folder on your Mac, does it show up in that folder on your other devices and in your account on dropbox.com?

• domster83
    domster83
    Community Member
    Options

The Dropbox app renamed them. I tried working with their support to rename them back, but then it changed them again. Not sure if this is a change of policy or what.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Ah, interesting. I'm not sure either. Please let us know what you find out from Dropbox! :)

• domster83
    domster83
    Community Member
    Options

The latest (unhelpful) response from Dropbox is:
    I have spoken with our developers, and have been informed that this is expected behavior for the time being for your account, and the folders may or may not revert back to the original names eventually.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @domster83,

I’m sorry that you’ve been struggling to get this all sorted out. I took advantage of Dropbox’s free trial for the business account and even after cancelling the trial ages ago, my remaining Dropbox folder is still labelled ‘Dropbox (Personal)’.

In any case, I spoke with our development team, and they don’t believe that the name of the folder should cause a problem, but let’s give Folder Sync a try and see if that behaves any better. (It’s essentially the same thing.)

Are you able to set up Folder Sync to your Dropbox folder?

• domster83
    domster83
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan
    Yeah its kinda weird and annoying. Sometimes the Dropbox menu item will tell me it renamed the folder from 'Personal Dropbox' back to 'Dropbox (Personal)' and then a second later, it will tell me the opposite! I guess I'll just have to live with this for now.

Yes, I've just now enabled standard Folder sync, although I tried again and couldn't get Dropbox sync to work. I did a short screen cap of what happened which I can share with you privately if its any help.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@domster83: Thanks for following up on this. That's definitely not something I've encountered before, so it's very much of interest in case it affects others as well. Please shoot us an email at support+forums@agilebits.com with the video and a link to this discussion (for context). Thank you! :)

• domster83
    domster83
    Community Member
    Options

Just to follow up on this, I went through Dropbox support and they identified that the folder renaming was an issue with their software and have resolved this. As such, 1Password sync is now working normally.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@domster83: That's great to hear! Thanks for the update. I'm glad that Dropbox was able to help you get that strange issue sorted out. Hopefully your folders only change when you tell them to going forward. Cheers! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.