Vault / Sync confusion - v6 says my vault is empty

Options
m1sc
m1sc
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Hello-

I am in a state of confusion and could really use some guidance.

I've been running windows 1password version 4.6..604. It points to my dropbox folder. I've installed v6 and it shows me having ZERO credentials. I've done this by choosing the data via folder and dropbox. dropbox finds the correct "folder" and via "folder" i point it to the correct one. Either way shows no data. Version 4 still shows all the data. Just now, via folder sync is showed me a fraction of the logins in it.

The second issue/step will be to then sync it with my 1password with teams vault.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Erik

1Password Version: 6.0.186
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: windows 7
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @m1sc,

I've moved your thread to our Windows Beta forum.

1Password 6 Beta right now doesn't have the progress indicator nor does it refresh your view after you add a new local vault file via Dropbox, so it is "normal" for now to see zero items until it is done downloading and then you click on All Items to refresh the view.

If you have a large database, you have to wait several minutes for the app to finish downloading and then click on All Items to refresh the view, it will show you all the data you have. If you lock the app during this time, it will not finish the download.

Try restarting the 1Password 6 Beta app and see if it shows your data now.

• m1sc
    m1sc
    Community Member
    Options

Hello MikeT-

Thank you for following up.

I've re-opened and i see nothing after 5 min. Also interesting, even though it said it was connecting to _FOLDERNAME_\1Password.agilekeychain when connecting to "dropbox", when I go to "Open Containing Folder" it shows a much different path: C:\Users\ebataller\AppData\Local\Temp\1password\cache\V5\1Password.agilekeychain

What do you suggest I try next? any chance we could connect directly on this issue?

Thanks for your support.

e

• m1sc
    m1sc
    Community Member
    Options

I have a webex account we could use...

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @m2sc,

It's normal to see the other directory, that's just a local cache of the file stored on Dropbox. Your data has to be imported into the app's internal database file that's not the same as .agilekeychain.

If you still cannot see any data, please email us your log file:

1. Open Windows File Explorer and enter the following in the address bar to open our Diagnostics folder: %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password\Diagnostics
    2. Reproduce the issue in 1Password 6, you'll then see a current.txt file show up or updated in the Diagnostics folder
    3. Please email that file to us at support+windowsbeta@agilebits.com, also include the link to this thread along with your forum username.

Let me know here when you sent it, so we can confirm we got the log file.

• m1sc
    m1sc
    Community Member
    Options

Hello Mike-

When I went off to do this, I realized I hadn't closed v6 and it was populated with all my logins. I have no idea how long it took, I didn't notice for 2-3 hours.

So, I have a second question. I had thought this "repository" was syncing with my family repository. It hasn't been but my phone has been. I would now like to sync this one in Dropbox with the family and then only use the family. Should I be concerned about the syncing? Will the updated record always be the latest? No matter which it comes from? Do you have any guidance or suggestions about this? As a technology dork, I've lost or mangled enough data to be very cautious about what "sync" means.

Thank you!

E

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @m1sc,

We're working on a big update that should improve the performance for the Dropbox sync but the initial sync shouldn't take a few hours for sure. How many items do you have in your local vault file via Dropbox?

So, I have a second question. I had thought this "repository" was syncing with my family repository. It hasn't been but my phone has been. I would now like to sync this one in Dropbox with the family and then only use the family. Should I be concerned about the syncing? Will the updated record always be the latest? No matter which it comes from? Do you have any guidance or suggestions about this? As a technology dork, I've lost or mangled enough data to be very cautious about what "sync" means.

With 1Password.com subscription, our server is the central truth server that tells the local 1Password apps what data needs to be updated or pulled. So, it is not the same as the traditional cloud sync model you have with Dropbox where it just keeps folders in sync between computers. With greater control over how we can handle the data, we can simplify the process and address many of the traditional issues like sync conflicts and so on, because you're really only working with one copy of the database that all local 1Password apps has a cache of. The performance is much faster because we only need to update what has been changed and push it directly into the app, no overhead. We also handle the backups for you, so for many folks, all they have to know is their 1Password account credentials, they don't need to worry about installing Dropbox or knowing the login access to Dropbox, and there's the bonus feature of viewing their data on 1Password.com web app.

In order for your current vault file from Dropbox to be on 1Password.com, you do have to import it into your 1Password.com account's database. We have an update coming soon that will allow you to migrate the data from the existing local vault file(s) you've added to 1Password 6.

For now, if you have 1Password 4 installed, you can export the data to 1PIF format and then import it directly into one of your vaults on 1Password.com. Once you do this, you can then remove the local Dropbox vault file in 1Password 6 and everything will stay "in sync" anywhere you're signed in to your 1Password account, same for your family members.

• m1sc
    m1sc
    Community Member
    Options

Mike- many of the passwords I have in my vault on 1password.com (family/team) are the same as the ones I have locally. How am I going to know what the most up-to-date one is? How will it resolve the conflict? Thanks,

E

• m1sc
    m1sc
    Community Member
    Options

Hello Mike- Do you have guidance on how I sync given the circumstances? I have 1000 logins/notes/etc...

Thanks

• mohamedosman
    mohamedosman
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @m1sc,

many of the passwords I have in my vault on 1password.com (family/team) are the same as the ones I have locally. How am I going to know what the most up-to-date one is? How will it resolve the conflict?

1Password 4/6 does not have the ability to show you duplicate items, and the majority of the work to sift through and resolve these conflicts will need to be done by hand. One thing that may help with this process is sorting the items in your vault by Date modified

1Password 6:

1Password 4:

This way you can see what items have been modified recently and sync the up-to-date ones.

This discussion has been closed.