Whats happening with version 4 of 1Password?

Options

Hello,

I notice there's been no update to 1Password 4 for almost 6 months now, a bigger gap than there's ever been since i've been using the software. I see there's been some minor changes to the beta version in that time so something is happening but I wonder what the future is for version 4?

Is version 4 basically on hold for now while all the focus is on version 6? Last time I checked on version 6 it was severely limited and it couldn't login to websites for you, or create new logins from the browser. I don't think at the time you could even edit local logins. Has much changed now and is it usable on a day-to-day basis as a replacement for 4?

Is the plan to bring version 6 up to feature parity with version 4 and then drop version 4? Do we have any timescales for this?

I'm using a licence version rather than subscription and no plans to change.

Thanks

1Password Version: 4.6.0.604
Extension Version: 4.5.5
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• dszp
    dszp
    Community Member
    Options

@reck In order to increase performance and add the subscription account support for Windows, it required re-writing 1Password from the ground up on Windows. This is what the 1Password 6 beta represents. 1Password 4 is still actively maintained as far as bug fixes but no new features are being added. Within an unknown timeframe (but I'd guess between 3-6 months to a year based on current development rate), the new beta will have all of the features of version 4 with more performance and options for modern operating systems (plus the features of the Mac version which is really where they are trying to reach parity).

Because of the fresh start, it's taking a while to catch up, which has been documented extensively in the forums here. The beta does now support filling forms but not saving new passwords from browsers yet (filling came early this month and saving is being worked on now). It just hit the number of features that made it usable to me and I've switched to version 6 full time. That's not likely the case for everyone, but I know it's their goal to get there. They had a false start that didn't work out on their first try at a new Windows client which slowed them down a bit as well.

The end result will be better, but it does slow things down for a period on Windows. They're working very actively to remedy the situation!

(Note, I don't work for AgileBits but I've read pretty much every blog post and related forum post over the last 10 months and this is based on a consolidated understanding of that information. They don't officially release development timetables or planned features but I'd bet $20 on the above being 95% or more accurate :-)

Oh, and there will be Dropbox or local vault support in 1Password 6, and there is read-only Dropbox support now, but it's coming a little more slowly (and works more slowly performance-wise--not that you can work much more slowly than 1Password 4 with a large OPVault :-) than the subscription features since subscription users have no option on Windows besides the new 6, and existing users of 4 can keep doing what they always have a bit longer.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @reck,

dszp pretty much nailed it. We don't have any timeframes on when 1Password 6 will replace 1Password 4 entirely, it won't be for a long while but yes, most of our focus is on 1Password 6 Beta. We will ship a stable version of 1Password 6 in a few weeks for 1Password.com subscribers as they don't have any app to work with but this won't be recommended for current 1Password 4 customers or new licensed customers as it will be limited in features.

We will continue to update 1Password 4 with bug fixes and any general improvements we can make but new features are not likely.

If there are something you'd like us to improve on in 1Password 4, please let us know.

• reck
    reck
    Community Member
    Options

@dszp

Thanks for the detailed write up, pretty much sums up everything that’s been happening and where we stand. It sounds like to begin with version 6 is really geared towards the “online” users so sounds like I’ll be using version 4 for quite a while yet.

@Mike

If there are something you'd like us to improve on in 1Password 4, please let us know.

Oh there’s quite a few things but I’m sure you’re aware of them by now and will hopefully be added in V6.

For me personally:-

• Having the “search all fields” option actually search all the fields and not skip the custom fields.
    • Having items created on Windows actually translate to iOS without being converted to other item types. Consistent file types between devices.
    • Tag support in the interface rather than hidden behind a keyboard shortcut.

These are what I’ve been waiting for for quite a while but I understand these are not easy fixes so hopefully it’s something you fix in version 6
    Thanks

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @reck,

Having the “search all fields” option actually search all the fields and not skip the custom fields.

It does search through all fields, including custom ones.

Can you give me a more specific example of what you mean?

Having items created on Windows actually translate to iOS without being converted to other item types. Consistent file types between devices.

If you deselect Accounts and Wallets via the view menu, you do get a more consistent layout against iOS and macOS but yes, it would be nice to make it more consistent. 1Password 4 was built with Agile Keychain in mind when OPvault was still new for us.

1Password 6 is completely changed, so it'll be just like the other 1Password apps, consistently is one of our top goals in 1Password 6.

Tag support in the interface rather than hidden behind a keyboard shortcut.

Unfortunately, this won't happen for 1Password 4 but it is a part of the reason we're rebuilding 1Password with a more flexible UI design. Tags is already a first-class citizen in 1Password 6.

• reck
    reck
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply on "missing" features. This is great news about the search now being able to search custom fields. When was this added?

When I created a forum post about this -

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/29790/search-not-working

I was told "search all fields" doesn't search custom fields and it would not be an easy change to make, but i'm really glad it's working properly now.

It sounds like v6 is going to solve a lot of the legacy problems with v4 and bring it inline with the clients so i'm really looking forward to when it's going to be released. As soon as it becomes more mature i'll move over as soon as I can.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @reck,

This is great news about the search now being able to search custom fields. When was this added?

According to our changelog here, we've added it in 4.1.0.538, which was released on 2015-01-26.

It sounds like v6 is going to solve a lot of the legacy problems with v4 and bring it inline with the clients so i'm really looking forward to when it's going to be released.

1Password 6 is a brand new program, so there won't be any legacy code carried over (7+ years). This gives us the chance of doing things differently and allowing us to build 1Password in a more modular way, so that we can easily change things around for the next decade. However, it does mean it will take some time to get it to the same level as 1Password 4 to be able to replace it. We're catching up quickly as we continue to finish the work on the core levels of the program before we start to add more features on top of it.

This discussion has been closed.