Creating a new account normally misses username

Options

On various websites when I go through the new account wizard and use 1Password to generate a password for me the account gets saved to 1Password. However when I go to log in to the site and click on 1Password in chrome to autofill it only fills in the password and presses submit but leaves the username blank. When I fill in the username myself it doesn't pop up with an option to add the username to the account. This would be a useful bugfix/feature as it is quite painful.

An example of a site I have used recently that has this problem is purplebricks.com

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @Kevin Holditch,

This is one of the difficulties of trying to auto-save on the registration form instead of the login form, they often don't have the username on the same page of the password or they do but masked from 1Password because they're not open text fields anymore. There are a few tricks you can do:

1. The quickest solution is to edit the Login item to add the username or if it has it, set its designation to username.
    2. Do what you did but don't submit the form yet, once you enter the username, click on the 1Password icon to select Settings > Save New Login and set it to replace an existing Login item.
    3. Lastly, what you can do is if you've used our generator to generate a new password (which we'd save automatically as soon as you copy the password), don't auto-save at the first try. You can sign out, go to the site's login page, enter the username and then click on the 1Password icon to press Fill last generated password in the password field and submit, the auto-save dialog should then pop up. This would have the greatest success of filling properly next time.

When checking to see if we should auto-save, we only check the URL + password, not the username. We've tried including username but it resulted into a lot of incorrect dialogs.

• Kevin Holditch
    Kevin Holditch
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT Thanks for the comprehensive answer. Perhaps a feature improvement could be to present the user a dialog upon creating an account where they can select which value is their username from a list captured from the inputs the user entered. This could then be stored against the username field. You could even have the best guess at the top of the list.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Kevin Holditch: To be honest, I think that would be a really annoying "feature" — certainly for me, and I suspect I wouldn't be alone. Maybe I haven't been sufficiently beaten into submission by Windows UAC prompts yet. ;)

However, we definitely want to continue to improve the logic 1Password uses to do this automatically for us, so if and when you encounter saving or filling issues, be sure to let us know the URL so we can test it ourselves to try to make things better for you and everyone else! :chuffed:

• Kevin Holditch
    Kevin Holditch
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty I happen to disagree. I think this could be achieved without an extra dialog you could extend the current one. When register to a new web site you already put up a prompt to say "Do you want to save this login?" Well on that dialog you could have a simple combo box to select your username. This would be a great feature in my opinion and fix one of the biggest problems in 1Password.

An example of a website that exhibits this problem is purplebricks.com as mentioned in the original post. Cheers!

• MikeT
    edited August 2016
    Options

Hi @Kevin Holditch,

That's something we already plan to do in the future for Windows as we have an option on macOS where you can choose to edit the item in 1Password. So, if you get the auto-save dialog, you can click Edit in 1Password to edit it in the main app to correct anything you need to do.

It would be nice to expand on this in the future, where we could do a mini-editor within the auto-save dialog, so you can see the data being saved and make changes on the fly before saving.

This discussion has been closed.