Copying a password from web interface: password is first shown publicly in a pop-up?!

XIII
XIII
Community Member

This week I had to use the web access to my Family account (nice that we have this now). Much to my (unpleasant) surprise when I tapped the "Copy" button a pop-up appeared that informed me to press Command+C on the keyboard to copy the password. But even worse: it displayed the entire password in plain text, so that the colleague I was pair programming with could read it! (luckily lots of characters, completely random gibberish, so unless he has photographic memory I'm fine;). Is this really the way it is supposed to work? (in Safari on the latest version of OS X El Capitan).

(The Mac I worked on is temporary; I did not want to install the native App)

1Password Version: 1Password for Families
Extension Version: -
OS Version: OS X El Capitan
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• Hi @XIII! Great question. This is something exclusive to Safari, Edge, and browsers that don't fully support quick copying. In Chrome, Firefox, or Opera, you'll notice that clicking Copy on anything just copies it to your clipboard. This uses Document.execCommand(copy), and Safari doesn't support that unfortunately, so we made a workaround. I can certainly see how it revealing the password wouldn't be the best for some situations though. I'll chat with the team and see what we can do to improve this. :) Thanks for letting us know about it.

ref: B5-1955

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

If you can't find another solution, please inform users about this before just showing the password.

It really was an unpleasant surprise for me.

• @XIII Sounds good. I'm sorry about that.

This discussion has been closed.