Confusion after reading Dave's new offer re.individual 1PW accounts - ? re. what I have now?

Options
tuni12
tuni12
Community Member
edited August 2016 in Mac

1 PW for my iMac- Originally bought from AgileBits have License Key and old order number from 2011. Then switched to iTunes Store purchase - bought under an old Apple ID (now changed) and a now deleted e-mail address, there is no license number that I can find, only date of purchase in 2011 and order number.

Later in 2011, I purchased
1PW for iOS , from iTunes Store have order number no license.

Then in 2014, purchased 1PW for DH's iMac , again I have order number but no license.

Questions:
2. What happened to my license key from my original purchase (see 1st paragraph above) from Agilebits, did I lose the license when I switched to the Apple Store 1 PW for Mac? When I tried to obtain the license key from Agilebits yesterday, I am informed it can find no record of my license. I did update my old e-mail address to a new one a few months ago and sent it to Agilebits, received confirmation. Don't understand why Agilebits cannot now locate my account/license key etc....?
3. So do I not have an individual account (i.e., Dave refers to individual accounts, don't I have one, actually 2 accounts (the Mac and the iOS version) - Also DH has his own iPW for Mac. If I (and he) don't have a license for these, should I/we? Or are the Apple Store 1PW purchases not required to have a license?
4. If I don't have an individual account, do I have to re-purchase them????

As you can see, I am now totally confused re. what I have, don't have, should have, need or don't need. Have sent e-mail to support also, however as you can see, this is difficult to explain. Can anyone explain all this to me?

thanks, am feeling pretty overwhelmed right now...

1Password Version: 6.3.2 (Apple Store)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS 10.11.6
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

The licence key from AgileBits only applied to 1PW3, there was an upgrade fee for 1PW4 (and later), and these used a licence file, not a key.

Purchases from the Mac App Store do not have a licence, as they are tied to your Apple ID. As you've changed your Apple ID, there would be issues if you got a new machine.

The concept of an "account" confuses people, I am not sure that AgileBits have got the wording clear yet. "Account" refers only to the new subscription service, not to the old stand-alone purchase (which still exists, and is planned to continue).

Dave was referring to the subscription service for individuals, which is very new. You have no need to do anything, but there are some advantages in changing to the Families subscription as there are two of you. For instance, all upgrades on all platforms will come free of extra charge, syncing and sharing become easier.

• tuni12
    tuni12
    Community Member
    Options

Danco, sorry, still don't understand. I have a "license key " for my 1PW on my MBPro. I've had 1 PW since 2011 and also the upgrade. I have version 6.3.2. My request Agilebits support to show my license, only gives me a "license key". Apparently, the other purchases were from the Mac App Store. So, again, do I have an individual account, would I need a subscription service to continue? Or, can I just leave things as is and continue with my 1PW for my MBPro (version above), and my iOS version on my phone, and DH's 1PW on his iMac? I.e., will I still get the upgrades as they occur w/o charge or are these just limited to those with a subscription service? thanks

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @tuni12,

I’m sorry for the confusion here. I’ll do what I can to clear things up.

What happened to my license key from my original purchase (see 1st paragraph above) from Agilebits, did I lose the license when I switched to the Apple Store 1 PW for Mac?

Your license key will never expire. It’s always yours. However, when you purchase from the Mac App Store, licensing is handled differently. All license details are tied to the Apple ID that you used when you made the original purchase. Unfortunately, we don’t have access to Apple’s purchase records, so we’re unable to look anything up there. But 1Password should show up in your ‘Purchases’ list when you open the App Store app.

So, again, do I have an individual account, would I need a subscription service to continue? Or, can I just leave things as is and continue with my 1PW for my MBPro (version above), and my iOS version on my phone, and DH's 1PW on his iMac?

You’re using a standalone license for 1Password. This is still a completely valid way to use the software. If 1Password is working well for you in the current configuration (using iCloud or Dropbox to sync) then there’s no need to change anything at this time.

Here’s a quick breakdown of the differences between licenses and accounts:

There are currently two different ways to purchase and use 1Password: a ‘standalone licence’ or by signing up for a 1Password account.

Standalone licenses

• You can purchase a license for 1Password to use on your desktops via the AgileBits Store.
    • This license is good for the current version of 1Password and includes all in-version updates. (The mobile Pro features are a separate purchase).
    • With the standalone licenses you can control where your data is stored: your data never leaves your computer unless you choose to sync using a third-party service like Dropbox, iCloud, or Wi-Fi.

1Password accounts

• Sign up for an account at 1Password.com, or take advantage of 1Password Families or 1Password for Teams to share data among your family or team.
    • Your subscription fee includes all of the 1Password apps, and all updates and upgrades are included as long as your account is active.
    • With the subscription service, sync is handled by the server, so there’s no need to set up third-party sync: your data is available to you on any device simply by signing into your 1Password account in the app.
    • Web access to your database (and some other pretty great features) are also included.

will I still get the upgrades as they occur w/o charge or are these just limited to those with a subscription service?

The standalone license that you have includes all ‘in version updates’. This means updates such as 6.1, 6.2, 6.3, etc. This updates will be bug fixes and sometimes new features too. At some point in the future, there might be a major version upgrade - for example, 1Password 6 will become 1Password 7. We have offered major version upgrades for free in the past (1Password 5 and 1Password 6, for example) but there is a chance that a major version upgrade will require a fee for license holders. Please note that I don’t have official details on upcoming upgrades, this is just by way of explanation.

Does this help? If you have any more questions about either the standalone licenses or our new accounts, please don’t hesitate to ask!

• tuni12
    tuni12
    Community Member
    Options

thanks, Megan - that helps somewhat... .:-)
    If I understand your response, if I choose the subscription service, and 1 PW Families - does that mean DH and I will be sharing the same account? I sync to iCloud. Right now, I have a separate vault for him (his passwords) on my 1PW on my MBPro (I sync his vault to DropBox).

He uses his separate App store purchased 1 PW on his iMac. He keeps his own set of passwords on his computer, and syncs to DropBox.

I also have 1 PW (purchased via iTunes) on my iPhone and sync to iCloud. I sync the vault I have for him (on my iPhone) to Dropbox.

So, if I go the subscription route and/or 1PW for Families, What will change?????
    Thx for your patience.....

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @tuni12,

if I choose the subscription service, and 1 PW Families - does that mean DH and I will be sharing the same account?

You and DH will each have your own sign in for your 1Password Families account. You will each have a personal vault for storing your own information, and a shared vault for information that you both need access to (like the Netflix Login and banking information). In addition to these two default vaults, you can create as many other vaults as you need.

So, if I go the subscription route and/or 1PW for Families, What will change?????

1. Your vaults will be synced with the 1Password servers instead of Dropbox and iCloud. This is cool because, once we have all your data stored in your 1Password account, you’ll never have to set up sync again. Just sign in to your 1Password account on a new device, and all of your data will be accessible to you, without having to fiddle with Dropbox and iCloud.
    2. You won’t have to worry about any upcoming upgrade fees. The 1Password apps will continue to update so you always have access to the latest features and bug fixes as long as your subscription is active.

Other than that, you should be able to continue to use 1Password as you always have. There should be very little change in the apps themselves or how you access your data. We just take away the worry of syncing and staying up to date.

• tuni12
    tuni12
    Community Member
    Options

Not to belabor this further (however, you know I will - ), can I sign up for 1PW for Families or the subscription service or are both connected - is it either/or? and what would be be required for me to switch from what I/we (DH & me) already have (see voluminous descriptions of our status in above discussions)? Is there a "how to" guideline or manual re. making these changes available?

Also, if we no longer sync to Dropbox and/or iCloud, what happens to our stored 1PW data (all our passwords) if 1PW decides to retire its app efforts and climb Mt. Kilimanjaro instead?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Good questions, @tuni12.

can I sign up for 1PW for Families or the subscription service or are both connected - is it either/or?

We offer three different subscription plans: individual, family, and team. Signing up for any of those three means you are signing up for a subscription which includes a lot of great benefits, like Megan mentioned above.

what would be be required for me to switch from what I/we (DH & me) already have (see voluminous descriptions of our status in above discussions)? Is there a "how to" guideline or manual re. making these changes available?

Follow the steps in our support article to move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account. The steps there include signing up for your account first, then you can sign in to your account on your Mac and move your items over. Your DH can do the same on his own Mac.

Once the items are moved over, you can each each sign in on other devices, and all your data will be there. :)

Also, if we no longer sync to Dropbox and/or iCloud, what happens to our stored 1PW data (all our passwords) if 1PW decides to retire its app efforts and climb Mt. Kilimanjaro instead?

When you sign in to the apps, all your data is cached locally and available offline. This not only allows you to look up passwords (and credit cards and secure notes) while don't have an Internet connection. It also means you will have access to your data if we are ever abducted by aliens. :+1:

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. We are always here to help!

This discussion has been closed.