1password not available as toolbar add on in explorer

Options

Running Windows 7 and IE 11 on my dad's computer. When I installed 1Password, I was able to add the browser extension to the toolbar. But at some point the browser extension disappeared. I've gone through all the steps (updated 1Password, enabled both add ons under Toolbars and Extensions. But when I try to customize the toolbar (which, by the way, is different than in the images in the instructions on your help article), 1Password does not show up as an available add on. I've also tried going into 1Password preferences and unchecking Microsoft Explorer under browsers and then reselecting it. Still no 1Password as an available add on. Thanks for any help. Unfortunately I'm doing this all remotely, so my turn around can take a while.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:1password not available as toolbar add on in explorer

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Barbara_Pitkin: Ouch. That does sound a bit problematic, trying to troubleshoot remotely. Unfortunately based on your description, it sounds like that may pose a problem for you, depending on the tool you're using.

You should be able to reinstall the IE add-on by disabling it in 1Password Preferences > Browsers, restarting Windows, and then re-enabling it...but in order to install the IE add-on, 1Password needs to ask for admin rights. That along with the reboot may pose a challenge, but that's probably something you can walk your dad through over the phone if necessary. It may, however, be necessary to reinstall 1Password completely if something's become damaged.

If you're still having trouble, be sure to include the 1Password version you're using. Thanks in advance! :)

• Barbara_Pitkin
    Barbara_Pitkin
    Community Member
    Options

I had already tried reinstalling as you recommend and we were able to work around the admin rights request. However, this did not fix the problem. He says the version he's using is 4.6.0.604 (I think that's 1Password 4).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Barbara_Pitkin: Ah, thanks for confirming! Yes, that's the current release of 1Password 4.

When reinstalling the Internet Explorer add-on using 1Password Preferences > Browsers, they should be getting a Windows admin prompt since it needs permission to install it in IE. Are they seeing that? In either case, "security" software often prevents this entirely, either by blocking the installation or removing it and failing silently. Could that be the case on their system? It may be as simple as disabling it temporarily to allow 1Password to do its job.

If you're still having trouble, the best thing to do will be to generate a diagnostic report and send it to support+forums@agilebits.com so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Windows)

Just be sure to include a link to this forum thread and your username in the email so we can 'connect the dots'. Once we see the report we should be able to better assist. Thanks in advance!

• Barbara_Pitkin
    Barbara_Pitkin
    Community Member
    Options

He's running Norton and Malware Bytes. We tried turning off the Malware Bytes (not sure we did that correctly), unchecking Explorer in 1Password Preferences > Browsers, then rechecking it, and did get the Windows admin prompt (I think we got this the last time we tried, too). But still 1Password is not showing up in the toolbar or as an available add on. Will try the diagnostics report next.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @Barbara_Pitkin,

What was the Windows admin prompt for, do you recall? Did it mention 1Password or AgileBits?

Let us know here when you sent the report, so we can confirm we got it.

• Barbara_Pitkin
    Barbara_Pitkin
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, sorry for the delay. We just gave up and switched to Chrome. At one point, the browser extension for that also disappeared, but we were able to reinstall.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Barbara_Pitkin: Thank you for keeping us posted! Am I right to understand that 1Password extension in Chrome works now?

This discussion has been closed.