How do I import all data from iOS app to new personal account

jawietholter
jawietholter
Community Member

I currently use the free iOS version of 1password and have a great deal of information in a vault. I have signed up for a new personal account and want to move all of the data from my vault on my iPhone into the new paid account. How can I do that?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:ho ido I import an existing iOS vault into a new personal account

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jawietholter,

Thanks for writing in with your question about migrating data to your new account! I hope you don't mind, but since your question is about the iOS version of 1Password, I've moved your message to our iOS forum.

We have steps to move items from the local/standalone vault(s) on your iPhone to your new account vaults here: Set up the apps and import your data (iOS)

However, the iOS version of 1Password can currently only move one item at a time between vaults - and if you have a lot of information to move, that would probably become quite tedious and time-consuming! Instead, as the above article explains, we recommend doing that migration on a Mac, if possible. Do you happen to have a Mac? If so, you can install 1Password on your Mac and sync the existing vault from your iPhone via iCloud, Dropbox, or WLAN. Then add your new account to the Mac app and move all your items at once by following the steps here: Set up the apps and import your data (Mac)

Does that help? Please let us know if you have more questions about that or if you run into any problems. We're here for you! :)

• g4dehaans
    g4dehaans
    Community Member

I'm having problems with this. I have a lot of data in the vault on my 1Password app; I signed up for a personal account and syncing doesn't import this data. I only had 1Password on my iPad and iPhone. When I put the app on my Mac, it only has a limited number of items from my vault. I'm really tearing my hair out trying to figure this out and am now sorry I signed up for an account. What can I do?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @g4dehaans,

I’m sorry that this has been a bit of a frustrating process for you! Have you tried following the instructions that Drew posted earlier on your iOS devices? Here are those instructions again:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

If you would prefer to move your data to your Mac first and then transfer the data from a standalone vault into your 1Password account, we can do that as well, it will just involve setting up sync on your iOS devices and connecting your Mac to that database. If this sounds easier, please let me know how you initially set up 1Password for Mac so we have a better idea of where to start. :)

• g4dehaans
    g4dehaans
    Community Member

I tried following all those instructions but nothing worked. Every time I synced, I would only get the limited number of items that the personal account had collected since I signed up. I finally got the vault to migrate when I switched to syncing with WLAN. But I assume this means that when I leave my house, my devices will no longer sync with each other. Is that right?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @g4dehaans,

Let’s take a step back and get a bit more information on your existing 1Password setup. I want to be sure that we’re giving you the best advice here.

1. What is the version number of 1Password for each computer and device that you’re using?
    2. What does your vault set-up look like on each device? For example: ‘1Password for iOS on my iPhone has a primary vault and my 1Password account personal vault.'
    3. Which device currently has your most up-to-date data?

I finally got the vault to migrate when I switched to syncing with WLAN. But I assume this means that when I leave my house, my devices will no longer sync with each other.

To confirm: did you move your data from your standalone vaults into your 1Password account or did you sync your standalone vaults using WLAN? You are correct, WLAN sync relies on the devices being on the same network. If you make changes to your database while away from home, you’ll need to perform a sync upon returning to your home network to ensure things don’t get out of sync.

However, if you’ve moved all your data into your 1Password account now, your data will stay in sync using our servers - there’s no need for a third-party sync solution with a 1Password account.

• g4dehaans
    g4dehaans
    Community Member

Looks like I have version 6.4.4 on my iPhone and iPad and just last night I put 1password6 version 6.3.2 on my Mac. I have no idea how to tell if the vault is stand alone or account. On the apps, when I click on on my account, it just shows me the account info. When I click on all vaults, it shows Primary and Personal but Personal just has a few logins that I was trying to migrate one by one. Before I signed up for an account, my apps on iPhone and iPad synced together and had the most updated info. I probably just ended up syncing my standalone vaults. How do I tell?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @g4dehaans,

Let’s take a closer look at your system to see if we can determine where things are getting tangled up.

I'd like to ask you to create some Diagnostics Reports, one from each of your devices:

Attach the Diagnostics Report(s) to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report(s) in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report(s) in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report(s) and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• g4dehaans
    g4dehaans
    Community Member

Here is the number for my MacBook: support ID is [#DAC-98493-338]
    Here is the number for my iPhone: [#JXA-89836-231].
    Here is the number for my iPad: [#RYD-38458-373]

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for sending those! We'll work with you via email until everything is resolved so that we are not duplicating efforts or creating any confusion.

ref: DAC-98493-338

This discussion has been closed.