USB-Stick Synchronization

Options

I have 1Password for Windows 4.6.0.604.
My password vault is stored at an internal HDD but I also synchronize this folder with an USB stick.
At work I also use 1Password and open the vault from the USB stick.
Back home I synchronize the USB stick with the local 1Password folder.

Reason: at work all internet drives (OneDrive, Dropbox, Google Drive and so on) are blocked.
We are not allowed to use such online storage.

Could this synchronization with the USB Stick cause trouble or any problems?

1Password Version: 4.6.0.604
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@OLLI_S: I guess I'm not clear on exactly how you're "synchronizing" this vault with the USB drive. If you can clarify, that may change my answer.

But essentially, the best thing to do would be to copy the whole vault to the USB drive each time (or vice versa, if you need to get the data back to the computer after making changes). It's the only way to be sure unless you have a reliable program you can trust to synchronize the data reliably between drives. Either way, this is completely external to 1Password. As long as it's done correctly, 1Password won't mind. :)

• OLLI_S
    OLLI_S
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty
    I use FreeFileSync, a file synchronization tool.
    So only the modified files are copied.

• MikeT
    edited August 2016
    Options

Hi @OLLI_S,

I'm not familiar with that tool, what does it do if it detects changes on both side but doesn't know which is newer? How does it handle sync conflicts?

Make sure you have 1Password configured properly to back up as often as it can, so you can restore to them if there was a problem with the tool.

So only the modified files are copied.

Does it do it recursively? Some apps didn't change anything if the parent folder's timestamp doesn't update even though its content did.

My suggestion is to copy the whole folder, rather than copying only the changed files if you're not familiar with the tool.

• OLLI_S
    OLLI_S
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty New suggestion:
    In 1Password 4 you have an "WLAN Synchronization".
    Here an USB Synchronization would be perfect, because I need my USB Stick at work.

• MikeT
    edited August 2016
    Options

Hi @OLLI_S,

Every day, it seems like 1Password 6 is going to be an awesome upgrade for you.

1Password 6 Beta has support for Folder Sync, you can just put it on your USB drive and it'll sync with that USB drive.

• OLLI_S
    OLLI_S
    Community Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

@MikeT wow this is a very interesting feature!
    But as I wrote in an other topic: beta versions contain bugs and I fear data loss (had this with the beta of a bookmark sync tool).
    So storing passwords (productive data) in a Beta is a bit dangerous (I fear).

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @OLLI_S,

I understand, I meant when it is out of beta.

This discussion has been closed.