1Password licenses and subscriptions compared

Options
Jacob
edited August 2016 in Lounge

In early August, we announced our new 1Password subscription service. If you've been using 1Password for a while, you may be wondering what it is and whether you need it.

What a 1Password subscription offers, and a brief history

Since we launched 1Password back in 2006, we've noticed that quite a few folks don't sync or back up their data somewhere. If they lost access to the device 1Password was on or got a new phone, they would often have to start over and begin storing their passwords once more. Similarly, if they got a new device and wanted to use 1Password there, their data wouldn't automatically show up, and they may have to pay for the app on that platform if they purchased it on a different one.

To solve both these problems, and quite a few others, we settled on a subscription model. It gives us the opportunity to securely store all your data on the 1Password server. You can just sign in to your account to get it from any device, even your browser. And if you, say, switch to Android from iOS, you'll be able to keep using 1Password there at no extra cost since the subscription includes all the apps. We also got an opportunity to add some other benefits to the service:

• Automatic backups: Your data is automatically backed up on the server and will still be there even if your device is lost or broken.
  • Web access to your data on 1Password.com: From the latest version of most browsers, you can sign in to your 1Password account and access your data from https://1password.com.
  • Item History: If you made a change to an item by mistake or deleted one, you can restore previous versions or bring it back from the Trash.
  • Brand new multi-factor security model: Since your data is in the cloud, we took some extra steps to make sure the security is even better than what the standalone version of 1Password has. An Account Key is generated during setup to strengthen your Master Password, and we still don't store either of them. Learn more about how 1Password protects your data in the cloud.

If you're using 1Password at work or with your family, there are some additional benefits:

• Sharing: You can share passwords with your family or teammates at work easily.
  • Account recovery: If one of the team or family members loses their Account Key or Master Password, an admin or organizer can help them get a new set of them.
  • Guests: Invite your accountant to help out with family taxes, or one of your clients at work to share project passwords with them.

There are more exclusive to each service. Learn about them on the 1Password Families website and 1Password Teams website.

Licenses live on

While we are very excited about the new 1Password subscription service, we're still selling licenses on our store if you'd prefer to stick with the standalone way of doing things. Support for licenses is also sticking around. We have lots of wonderful users who really love using 1Password that way, and we want them to keep enjoying their favorite password manager. :)

FAQs

Does my license include an account?

No. Licenses are for using the 1Password apps on the devices you purchased the license for. They do not include an account. You can move to an account if you'd like, though.

Do I need a license to get the apps for my subscription?

The apps are included with your subscription. :) You can get them from our downloads page, then sign in to your account to activate them without a license.

How can I keep my account information safe?

Glad you asked! The best way is to save your Emergency Kit, write your Master Password in the space provided, and store it somewhere safe. Signing in to your account on all your devices also saves your Account Key there so you can quickly access it in the future.

This discussion has been closed.