Suggestion - Suggest to change old passwords

Options

Does 1Password have a feature to remind users to change older passwords?
I just know that Watchtower suggests a password change for pages that are compromised.
But I think there is no feature that older passwords should be changed too.
So maybe you add a Checkbox in the settings and a field for the time period (default is 1 year).

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@OLLI_S: 1Password doens't have a password reminder feature (or really any reminders/notifications). There are a number of reasons for this, not least of which being that I think most of us already receive our fair share of notifications. ;)

But in regard to password changes, these are actually not beneficial from a security perspective (unless of course you have reason to believe that the password has been compromised...or it's reused from somewhere else).

If an "old" password is long, strong, and unique (and randomly generated, rather than human-generated) there is no reason to change it. Only you and the site have it (hopefully the site only has a hash), and in your case it's encrypted in your vault. Changing them places an unnecessary "bureaucratic" burden on the user and provides no benefit. A long, strong, unique password you generated last year is no better or worse than one you generate today, given the same "recipe".

But of course if you have weak passwords, it's a good idea to change those, and 1Password will tell you about that in the Security Audit section. Better safe than sorry. Cheers! :)

• OLLI_S
    OLLI_S
    Community Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

Then I have an other suggestion:
    So please add a new view "Older Passwords" in the sidebar that is not visible by default (like "Watchtower", "Weak Passwords", "Duplicate Passwords" and "Heartbleed").
    At the bottom of this view add a slider, where I can select the months (like you have a slider in "Weak Passwords").

This view is not visible by default, so users get not confused.
    And there are no "reminders", if the user activates this view.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @OLLI_S,

That will be added to 1Password 6 in the future, we already have this implemented in the macOS version of 1Password:

• OLLI_S
    OLLI_S
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT
    I don't have a Mac, so I did not know this.
    In "Weak Passwords" you have a slider, would here one view (Older Passwords) and also a slider be better than 3 different views?

• MikeT
    edited August 2016
    Options

Hi @OLLI_S,

I know, I'm just mentioning that we have it and that means we will add it to Windows since consistency is our #1 goal for 1Password 6 Beta for Windows.

In "Weak Passwords" you have a slider, would here one view (Older Passwords) and also a slider be better than 3 different views?

At the moment, no but we are trying to make it flexible in a future design for this.

• OLLI_S
    OLLI_S
    Community Member
    Options

If you add my suggestion to the "Future Feature List" (or whatever you call it) it would be fine.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Absolutely! :chuffed: :+1:

This discussion has been closed.