Cant restart my mac because 1password won't open or quit. Cant update or remove copies.

Options
njsc2016
njsc2016
Community Member

I received error messages about multiple copies but they have disappeared and I can't remove to trash. One is on my WD backup drive and I don't know how to exclude the app. Clicked on 1password to log in and it won't let me. Now I can't even restart my mac because 1password is open but won't let me quit.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Can't log in to 1password. can't find multiple copies list. Won't update.

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @njsc2016,

I'm sorry you're having trouble opening (and quitting) 1Password on your Mac! But we'll get to the bottom of this one way or another.

I received error messages about multiple copies but they have disappeared...

Do you mean the error messages disappeared, or the extra copies of 1Password disappeared?

...and I can't remove to trash.

Can you elaborate on why you aren't able to move the extra copies to the Trash? Is it because you no longer get the error message that shows you where to find the extra copies? Or is there another problem that's preventing you from doing that?

One is on my WD backup drive and I don't know how to exclude the app.

For now, you can simply disconnect the backup drive from your Mac (at least while troubleshooting the problem with 1Password). Once you're able to successfully open the 1Password app again, you can reconnect the backup drive and see if the problem still happens.

Clicked on 1password to log in and it won't let me.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean here - can you be more specific about that? For example, do you mean you double-clicked the 1Password app in Applications to open it? If so, what happens, exactly?

Now I can't even restart my mac because 1password is open but won't let me quit.

What exactly happens when you try to restart your Mac? If it won't let you restart because 1Password is "open" and won't let you quit, you can try force-quitting it. To do that, press option+command+esc on your keyboard to bring up the 'Force Quit Applications' window. If 1Password is listed there, does it show that it's not responding? If 1Password is there, click on it and then click the Force Quit button.

Please let us know how it goes, and we'll continue from there. Thanks! :)

• njsc2016
    njsc2016
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your reply, Drew_AG. I couldn't restart because the application was partly open and the option to quit was not highlighted. I should have thought to force quit. My bad. But I was able to finally open the app fully by going to my HD, then Applications instead of using the icons on my dock. The mini icon in my menu had disappeared but then reappeared. Everything worked smoothly after that. The error messages had disappeared so I wasn't sure where the extra copies were but I realized the first message said there is one on my back up hard drive that I probably should delete. The second error message said the extra copy was on my HD drive. I think by that time I had my poor Mac so confused it was treating the copy on my back up HD as the original. I thought I needed to somehow click on the error messages to delete the extra copies. I'm not sure how to delete the extra copy from my back up HD, though. Do I just click on the Western Digital icon then remove the app from it by sliding it into the trash?

• Hi @njsc2016 ,

Yes, you can just trash it. Also, you can set your backup software to skip that so it doesn't back it up again. What I usually do is set my backup software to unmount my backup drive when it's finished backing up, and remount it again when starting the next one. If your backup software provides that capability, that's usually a good practice.

Regards,
    Kevin

This discussion has been closed.