Internet Explorer Support Discontinued [1Password 4 still supports Internet Explorer]

Options
davidcwalls
davidcwalls
Community Member
edited December 2016 in 1Password 4 for Windows

When I try to login to the Agilebits website with 1Password using Internet Explorer, I receive an error message that indicates I am using an unsupported browser and lists only Chrome, Firefox, and Safari as supported. I have looked around the site and forums, but I haven't been able to find the list of what is and is not supported (the website seems to have been redesigned since the last time I spent time here so that information is now spread out vertically as much as possible with lots of interspersed graphics of marginal relevance and empty space rather than have tables of information in which one can see in a single page all or most of the relevant info :-(

Are you discontinuing support for IE? Is there documentation anywhere showing which versions of which products are supported?

1Password Version: 4.6.0.604 (15)
Extension Version: 4.6.0.604
OS Version: Win 10
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@davidcwalls: It sounds like you're referring to the 1Password.com web interface. Internet Explorer is incapable of using this web app because it lack the modern web standards support necessary (specifically Web Crypto). 1Password.com has never supported IE and likely never will. IE has been discontinued by Microsoft and will not have additional features like this added going forward.

That said, 1Password for Windows version 4 supports Internet Explorer with its add-on:

Enabling the Internet Explorer add-on

I hope this helps. I'm sorry you had some trouble navigating the site, but we're always happy to answer any questions you might have here on the forums. I look forward to hearing back from you! :)

• epic
    epic
    Community Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

Was chasing an answer to this myself and I'm frankly pretty stunned with that response. As a business we aren't silly enough to roll out Windows 10 (which precludes Edge as a browser choice) but due to still heavily using Microsoft products (such as SharePoint etc) all other browsers are hard to manage for our small team. I had just completed a review, chosen 1password teams as the product to use but upon testing identified that IE (even 11) isn't supported and so literally all my work is out the door and you are no longer viable as a product supplier. As a long term user of your non-cloud product I can't even begin to explain how bitterly disappointed I am at your choice to exclude IE from support and I can only assume (and hope, so that you might rejoin the real world and start supporting it) that you're losing a lot of business over it. Making a business-centric product but not supporting the most used business browser just seems astounding to me.

You're welcome to point me towards your competitors who do actually support products that people use.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2016
    Options

@epic: We support the most popular browser on all platforms, Chrome, as well as other major browsers. And there are a lot of business user on Firefox, especially ESR, which we also support. I appreciate that this doesn't help you if you're dependent on Internet Explorer, but as I mentioned, Microsoft itself has discontinued it. It may be that we can build support for IE in the future, but we really need to focus on where we can do the most good for the greatest number of users. Businesses matter too, but not to the exclusion of all other users. We don't currently have plans to build an add-on for IE, but it's certainly something we can revisit once we've implemented more requested features. In the mean time, 1Password 4 supports IE fully. I'm sorry this isn't the answer you were hoping to find, but I appreciate you taking the time to let us know how important IE is to you.

• sniem
    sniem
    Community Member
    Options

epic, sorry, I can't follow the focus of outdated technology. Why should a company develop a new product and put effort in making in compatible with a deprecated product?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2016
    Options

@sniem: In all fairness, I think epic presented some good reasons. Ideally, we'd be able to support IE as well, even if only for businesses. And certainly businesses are the focus of 1Password Teams. But we're not in business to support businesses at the expense of the rest of our customers — standalone, individuals, and families. And with IE market share on par with Opera and declining (for comparison, we wouldn't be able to support Opera either if it wasn't Chrome-based and using the same extension), we just can't divert resources to build a new IE add-on at this time — especially with WebExtensions on the horizon.

• epic
    epic
    Community Member
    Options

@sniem : building a business-centric application and not supporting business-centric browsers is my issue and the reality is almost every business I have any interaction with does not run Windows 10, or have a big enough team of people to support whatever is the browser de jour. IE is continuing to be supported, just not further developed and that's a calculated business move by Microsoft to push a product that many see as unsustainable and intrusive, particularly for businesses who run critical infrastructure, not because Edge is any better a browser. If you're happy thinking that you get more security from Chrome or Firefox than from IE then more power to you, I guess I'm just too cynical to believe Google is out there for my betterment.

@brenty : You're right, it's not really a helpful answer and from what I can see the biggest issue is we can't even work around it without rolling out additional browsers to dozens and dozens of workstations and laptops over geographically diverse locations (including many VERY remote). IE certainly is declining but using global figures show, largely, what consumers are using and not business. If you're comfortable with the level of business you're getting, or getting businesses to switch to other options (which in tests are shown to be horribly insecure in their own right) then that's great and I wish you all the best. I will in the mean time remain disappointed and look for a vendor who can provide me a product I want to use in a way that I want to use it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@sniem : building a business-centric application and not supporting business-centric browsers is my issue and the reality is almost every business I have any interaction with does not run Windows 10, or have a big enough team of people to support whatever is the browser de jour. IE is continuing to be supported, just not further developed and that's a calculated business move by Microsoft to push a product that many see as unsustainable and intrusive, particularly for businesses who run critical infrastructure, not because Edge is any better a browser. If you're happy thinking that you get more security from Chrome or Firefox than from IE then more power to you, I guess I'm just too cynical to believe Google is out there for my betterment.

@epic: I did want to point out that we don't have a business-centric application. While we now offer a service that is designed to have many features our business customers have asked for, 1Password is for everyone first and foremost. Many individuals and families use 1Password Teams since they want some of the advanced functionality it offers (MFA, ACL, custom templates, etc.) While it is still fairly early, I think that as 1Password Teams grows there are a lot of opportunities for us to improve it with feedback from you and others — customers, potential, or otherwise — so we can offer more for everyone. While IE is problematic for us to support right now, things may change in the future. Whether that means companies move away from IE or we are able to devote resources to it down the road, only time will tell.

I think that Edge is also a great browser and will only get better, but that's inherently subjective and based on my own needs, which are different to yours. And while I think we should all be skeptical of Google and anyone else who we allow to have information about us, Chrome has a great security track record and has pushed the web forward in a lot of ways (Flash, process isolation, etc.) However, a lot of this was done while Chrome was still the underdog, and we remember that IE was a young upstart once too. Hopefully Google doesn't abuse their current lead for ill. We'll be vigilant. :sunglasses:

@brenty : You're right, it's not really a helpful answer and from what I can see the biggest issue is we can't even work around it without rolling out additional browsers to dozens and dozens of workstations and laptops over geographically diverse locations (including many VERY remote). IE certainly is declining but using global figures show, largely, what consumers are using and not business.

That's a really good point, and I appreciate you making it. With a company that spread out, it's got to be much easier to use the built-in browser than rolling out an alternative to everyone.

If you're comfortable with the level of business you're getting, or getting businesses to switch to other options (which in tests are shown to be horribly insecure in their own right) then that's great and I wish you all the best. I will in the mean time remain disappointed and look for a vendor who can provide me a product I want to use in a way that I want to use it.

I'd do no less myself in your shoes. While obviously we'd love for you to use 1Password, if it isn't a good fit for you, we'd much rather you use another password manager that does rather than nothing at all. Everyone deserves security, and in this day and age it is sorely needed. Stay safe out there! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.