1Password subscription service Nagging update..

Options
Shuko
Shuko
Community Member

Hi, Why does 1P nag me to update to your subscription service every morning despite my attempts to disable it.? I'm quite happy with the standalone version where I sync and back up via wifi or manually if needed. Why are you trying to almost forcibly rent people software that they already own and trying to convince them their passwords are better off in the cloud with you when every school kid knows one's personal data is always best kept safe on one's own personal device and certainly not on any cloud service managed by people you don't have a clue about. How to disable and disconnect from your updating harassment?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Wifi & Manual

Comments

• tribu
    tribu
    Community Member
    Options

Hi there,

I'm getting automatic update notification and would like to know whether I will be obliged to subscribe to the subscription service.
    If this is the case, I will leave 1Password and go find another solution. Lots of people are going to do the same, I assure you.

Furthermore those pop-up notifications are no elegant way either!
    Dave Teare, get up and take position. Answer Shuko's question. Explain your roadmap for 1Password and its economic model. I will not upgrade as long as things are not clear or the harassment question not cleared.

This is definitely not the right model to use now or tomorrow! Microsoft, Adobe, Apple, etc... Do you guys really think people are dumb enough to pay on a monthly basis to use software. Imagine the monthly/yearly budget!

• ag_kevin
    edited August 2016
    Options

Hi @Shuko @tribu ,

I'm sorry that it is alerting you every morning. It is certainly not our intention to nag anyone. The only time it should pop up an alert is if an account is frozen - that only happens if you've added an account to 1Password and the trial or billing has expired. It is a reminder to log in and enter billing information.

But if you have no intention of using the account, then we suggest removing it. First, if you have any items in the vaults belonging to the account, please move them to your "local" vaults. (for example, put them in your Primary vault). Then, go to the 1Password Preferences, go to the Accounts section, select the account and click Sign Out - then you will not get alerted for the account any more.

So in other words, it is nagging you because you still have an account there. If you have signed out of the account, or if this is not the dialog you are referring to, then please accept my apologies, and please post a screen shot or let us know exactly what the message says and we'll do our best to clear that up.

Next, on to our business model. We've stated this on our blog, press release, though some articles may have left this part out, and other vendors have gotten rid of their licensed model, so I can certainly understand the confusion. And I can also understand the anxiety given that Adobe and Microsoft have moved to subscriptions. But let me state this unequivocally:

It is our plan to support both the licensed and subscription models going forward. I hope this is clear. We will be here for you no matter which way you wish to pay.

We have introduced subscriptions for a simple reason. Customers requested features that we need to operate our own server to do. Features such as vault permissions, easy to share vaults, automatic sync setup, optimized sync, etc. require our own server and thus it has ongoing costs. Ongoing costs warrant a subscription model. We've also done things to enhance the security to make sure AgileBits can not read your data, and increased the encryption strength to make it much more secure to store your data on our server than you might think. If you are interested in how that works, please read the white paper linked at the bottom of https://1password.com/security. Our Teams, Family, and Individual account customers are happy to pay a subscription for these features and have told us so.

But, we also recognize that there is a significant portion of our customers who do not need the features that accounts provide and would rather pay for a license up front and the occasional. This is why it is our plan to continue to support the license model.

I hope I've cleared up any concerns. If I have not, or you have further questions, feel free to ask.

Regards,
    Kevin

• Shuko
    Shuko
    Community Member
    Options

I have already migrated to Last Pass and 1Password has been relegated to a mere offline back up.

• Hi @Shuko,

We're sorry to see you go. If there's anything we can do for you in the future, please let us know.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• Shuko
    Shuko
    Community Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

If I didn’t know better I would think based on the hyped and excessive self flattery of your product that you were flogging some kind of scam snake oil complete with an entire life style change and not a serious, discreet, secure and personal password application.

https://blog.agilebits.com/2016/08/03/new-1password-hosted-service/

Look at this lot:

Today is a very exciting day in the world of passwords! We have not one, not two, but three(!) incredible things to announce:
    Revolutionary, awesome, state-of-the-art, amazing, feature-packed, easier than ever, subscribe now, get the benefits, added features, free updates, free upgrades, get in on the fun, simplest and most affordable, cancel at any time, An amazing (*and scary!) launch special, first 6 months free! No ifs, ands, or buts (or ads!), no strings attached, You don’t even need to add your credit card to get this amazing deal!m incredible deal, how excited we are, awesome deal.. etc etc

I find often that hyperbole has the effect of degrading rather then emphasising.

• Shuko
    Shuko
    Community Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

What exactly does the 6.3.2 update do?

What does this mean?

6.3.2 (build #632001)

_"Hello, hello security-conscious comrades! The excitement around our newly announced 1Password subscription service has been almost tangible here at AgileBits HQ and we're so glad to hear that you love it as much as we do. Today's update brings with it.. _

What does it bring?

And what does this mean exactly?

_"Added support for 1Password account device reauthorization during initial setup. {OPM-4185}"__

Does enabling this update turn an offline standalone version into your all new, revolutionary, amazing, shiny, miraculous paid subscription version?

• mjaxtens
    mjaxtens
    Community Member
    Options

Hi.. just need to clarify. I want to stay with the standalone version. The update prompt for 6.3.2 implies this is a subscription update. Is this the case? Thanks. I'll update if it's not, and leave 1Password if it is.

• tribu
    tribu
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you Kevin for taking time replying to a few of my/our concerns. At least for the time being, things appear to be clear ;-)
    And at least regarding your operating costs, I can understand your explanation.

Either way, no need to update for the time being as nothing new in current version. Right?

Again I totally agree with Shuko about your abundant self-flattery communication. Being a AgileBits customer since the beginning of 1Password, it was quite cool to get overwhelming mails from the boss. Time has changed and I am personally not sure whether continuing this way is helping your business (which should be more of a discreete thing) in times of uncertain evolution.

I have read the blog post, which goes for 2 days and really is counterproductive in terms of communication as Dave and team really trie to answer clearly but operating the total opposite...

It appears to me that the lifecycle in IT is still present. Software comes and goes. Money is burnt for not much. In the material world there are guarantees, 1-2 years normally up to 10 years for service and parts. No such thing in IT. Forget your hard earned money and move on.

Still no lessons learned.

Cheers

• Hi @mjaxtens,

The 6.3.2 update fixes a bug where if you removed an authorized device from your account, wiped 1Password on your device, and want to reauthorize it, it wouldn't let you sign in again. This update just fixes that. We generally recommend always updating when you can, but if you don't have an account, and aren't having any issues, feel free to skip this update.

Thank you @Shuko and @tribu for your thoughts on our marketing. We are sometimes guilty of being too proud of our work and get overjoyed to share our enthusiasm. We'll take your feedback into account in the future.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• mjaxtens
    mjaxtens
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Kevin.. prompt feedback and helpful. It was the subscription model info up front with the update that made me wonder whether the update would break standalone functionality. Maybe that should be made explicit... other software vendors deliberately force you into the different model with their updates so if you make it explicit in the update info, you might have fewer queries and generate less uncertainty. Thanks for clearing that up.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mjaxtens,

Thanks again for the feedback! We’ll keep it in mind when writing future release notes - we certainly don’t want our license holders to be confused. :)

• Shuko
    Shuko
    Community Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

Excited? you need to sack your marketing team.. they have made you into a joke. Sounds like your flogging a cheap soap powder. The dignity and seriousness of your product just went out the window.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Shuko,

I'm sorry you feel the way you do about our new subscription service, but while you're certainly entitled to your opinion, we do ask that you keep it civil towards everyone here. We need to keep our support forums as friendly as possible for the wide range of people that come here for help, and that means refraining from using rude or insulting language. We're happy to have you here as long as you can adhere to our guidelines:

Forum Terms of Service

You clearly aren't excited about the new service we're offering, but there's no need to act negatively towards those of us who are. If you don't want to use a 1Password account, you don't need to - it's completely optional/voluntary. We still sell and support standalone licenses for our 1Password apps, so you're welcome to continue using it the way you always have - including the ability to sync your 1Password data via Wi-Fi/WLAN server. And we're still happy to help if you ever run into problems using the standalone apps. Nothing has changed there.

Or if you've already switched to another password manager, we're very sorry to see you go, but we absolutely understand that you need to make the choice that's right for you. There's no single solution that will be the right fit for everyone, so you'll need to go with the one you feel best meets your needs.

Now, it sounds like you're unhappy with our marketing materials for 1Password subscription accounts. If that's simply because you aren't interested in that, please know that you have the option to ignore it - no need to spend time reading/worrying about an optional service you already know you don't want to use! ;) But if you do have some helpful feedback or constructive criticism, we'll be happy to hear it. Please also feel free to contact us at support@agilebits.com if you'd prefer to discuss any of this more privately.

And as always, if you have other questions about 1Password or need help to solve a problem, just let us know - we're always glad to help. Have a great weekend! :)

This discussion has been closed.