Strange Connections to *.cachefly.net

Options
AChakery
AChakery
Community Member

Hello,

Yesterday I noticed that 1 Password is trying to send data to this CDN/Cloud service : CacheFly.net (Please check the attached file for more details).

Considering the fact that I am not using 1Password for teams or families, would you please tell me what exactly these connections are ?

Thank you very much.

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: 6.3.2 (632001)
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• nathanvf
    nathanvf
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey there @AChakery,

By any chance do you have the Rich Icons preference enabled? Rich Icons are a way to give your Logins and Software Licenses a sort of custom icon based on the website in the item. We have tens of thousands of icons for different websites and so those are available on a server that distributes them to clients when asked.

Keep in mind that the only thing we are doing is trying to download a icon file for something like "apple.com" and not sending up any of your personal information.

If you don't like this feature you are free to disable the preference in Preferences > General > Use Rich Icons.

Hope this helps.

• AChakery
    AChakery
    Community Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

Dear @nathanvf ,

Here is not matter of trust because this is obvious that almost all of us have trusted you and that is the reason which we have purchased this 1Password. So I hope that there is no misunderstanding regarding my question.

The reason that I asked is that yesterday my antivirus found a malicious software on my mac therefore since then I have been monitoring all incoming and outgoing connections.

Now back to my question : Do you think if this is safe to keep this option enabled ? because I have seen some cases that some websites put malware in their websites (or hackers inject them) in the format of images and such...

Again thank you for the answer

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2016
    Options

Hi @AChakery,

Just to follow up on what Nathan has already said, we have an article in our support pages that goes into a bit more detail about the connections that 1Password will make, and why:

Why is 1Password trying to connect to some random website?

We sincerely appreciate that you trust us to keep your data secure and want to do all we can to maintain that trust! Your question is a totally valid one - it’s great to see that you are keeping an eye on what your computer is doing. Your security is important, and I certainly don’t blame you for being a bit cautious if you’ve discovered malware on your system.

Do you think if this is safe to keep this option enabled ?

Honestly, we wouldn’t offer this option if we thought it was at all insecure.

But I’m not on the security team and I can’t comment more specifically on the issue, so I’ll pass this thread along to our true security gurus to see if they can give you a bit more of a detailed answer than the one provided in the support article. :)

• AChakery
    AChakery
    Community Member
    Options

Really appreciate your great support. :+1:

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of Nathan and Megan, you're very welcome! I'm glad you're thinking strongly about the security of your data and asking these kinds of questions. That's what we like to see! :)

If you have more questions or need anything else, don't hesitate to let us know - we're here for you!

This discussion has been closed.