Can't Open 1 Specific Vault on 1 Specific Computer

Options
rmumby
rmumby
Community Member

I transferred a vault from a different computer, now I can't open it. Asks me for the password, I provide it, then it gives me the Apple Alert noise that's played when you try and do something you can't do (like, for example, if there is a notification up for an app and you try to close that app without first answering the notification - that noise. I believe it's called "Funk" if you look it up in system preferences in the sound preference pane).

Anyway, I store this vault on box.com on my work computer. Works fine from that computer. I've tried transferring directly then opening locally, and downloading from box.com and opening locally, so I don't believe it's a file access or corruption issue. I've also deleted 1password and all library files and reinstalled from scratch. Won't let me open on this computer. All my other vaults on this computer are working fine, as well, and have no problems. What's the deal guys? I really need to get into my work stuff.

Gonna be honest, I'm not having high hopes that I'll get a very quick response from a forum-first style support model. I don't have the other computer with me, so please prove me wrong so I can get some work done.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rmumby,

I’m sorry to hear that you’re having trouble with 1Password. In order to help you out here, I’ll need a bit more detail on the steps that you’re taking:

• Are you attempting to add this vault as a secondary vault to a version of 1Password that already has other vaults in it? Or is this vault the first vault that you are setting up in 1Password?
    • How are your other vaults on this computer synced?
    • Could you tell me a bit more about how you’re accessing this database file? Box.com is not an accepted sync source in 1Password, so you will need to use a solution like Folder Sync to keep the file updated.

It would also help to have the version number of 1Password that you’re using, and the version information for your operating system, just to make sure we’re all on the same page.

• rmumby
    rmumby
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan,

• I'm adding this as a secondary vault (3rd to be specific)
    • The other vaults are synced by Dropbox, the one in question is LOCAL on my Mac
    • The vault i'm having trouble with is currently not syncing. it is local. On the original computer it's stored in a folder that is synced to box.com just fine, it's not using a sync service within the app itself, it would be considered just local. Also, I just copied that vault for this computer and I'm storing it locally. no sync. (I tried downloading a copy from box.com on the web, and I also tried directly transferring it using airdrop)

I already included all the version information in my last post at the end when it was requested, but I'll type it all again if it didn't go through.

It should be the latest version of all your software. 1password mac (6.3.2), Browser Extension 4.5.7. Running on Mac OS 10.10.5

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rmumby,

Thanks so much for getting back to me with that information.

the one in question is LOCAL on my Mac

To add this vault to 1Password, are you double-clicking the .agilekeychain or .opvault file? Or are you using the File > New Vault menu and then using the sync pane in 1Password’s Preferences to link the new vault to the database file on your Mac?

Asks me for the password, I provide it, then it gives me the Apple Alert noise

Do you get an error message from 1Password indicating that you’ve entered an incorrect password or any other detail from the app?

• rmumby
    rmumby
    Community Member
    Options

I was double clicking an .opvault file. New vault appears to just create an entirely new vault, am I correct in saying this or not? No import/add options seem to appear when I click that, just fields to fill out for a brand new vault.

No error message appears, just the error alert noise. I had a look to see if an alert window was being hidden behind other windows possible but couldn't find anything.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rmumby,

Thanks so much for your patience as we work to sort this out. It’s a bit odd to me that you’re getting an alert tone with no useful error message, so let’s try this a different way.

New vault appears to just create an entirely new vault, am I correct in saying this or not?

You are correct. New vault will create an empty vault, but since double-clicking on the .opvault file isn’t working, let’s see if this behaves better:

1. Use File > New vault to create an empty vault. You can customize the colour and vault icon here if that’s something you like. (I quite enjoy having unique looking vaults!). I’d suggest choosing the same Master Password for this new vault as you use for the .opvault file that we’ll be adding, but it’s not a requirement.
    2. Once the vault is created, go to 1Password’s Preferences and open the Sync tab.
    3. Click on the None option and select Folder from the dropdown menu
    4. Select the appropriate .opvault file on your Mac
    5. 1Password will ask you to confirm that this data should be merged with your existing vault. Click Merge with Existing
    6. Enter the Master Password for the .opvault if prompted.

Please let me know if this works. :)

• rmumby
    rmumby
    Community Member
    Options

I click the 'Open' button after selecting the Folder in step 4 and nothing happens. The button is blue, indicating that it should be a valid file/folder to open, but no dice.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rmumby,

Could you take a screenshot showing the file selection (right before you try clicking Open)? I'm wondering if there will be any clue there.

I presume you have already restarted your Mac by now. If not, please restart it and let me know if the issue persists after the restart.

You've got us scratching our heads a bit here, but I'm sure we can get it resolved. Thanks for your patience. :)

This discussion has been closed.