Install on new device

Options
ct12christine
ct12christine
Community Member

I purchased 1Password back in 2014 when it was still pretty new. I believe I have a standalone version. How can I install my 1Password information on my new computer? I never received an account key or an emergency kit.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ct12christine,

I'm sorry you're having some trouble setting up 1Password on a new computer! But we'll definitely be able to help you with that.

When you first launched 1Password on the new Mac, it sounds like you chose the option to sign into a 1Password account. But it doesn't sound like you signed up for an account - that's a new subscription service we introduced this year. That's not a problem though, you just need to choose a different option during the setup. (If you currently see the screen that asks for your account information, you should be able to click a link to go back to the "Welcome to 1Password" screen.)

On your old computer, is 1Password set up to sync with Dropbox or iCloud? If so, it's very easy to sync it from Dropbox or iCloud to 1Password on the new Mac - just choose that same option during the setup. We have more information here: Move your data with iCloud or Dropbox

Does that help? If not, please let us know a few more details about 1Password on your old Mac - for example, what version of 1Password is on that older Mac, and how is it syncing your data? Thanks in advance! :)

• ct12christine
    ct12christine
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the help. I was able to get my 1Password account set up on my new computer, however, it doesn't seem to be pulling my most up to date 1Password information. Instead, it's pulling information that's over 5 months old. When I go into settings on my old and new computer it shows that my iCloud 1Password has been updated 10 seconds ago. Please advise on how I can properly sync my 1Password using iCloud. Thank you!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ct12christine,

It sounds like there’s still a bit of confusion here. Are you intending to use 1Password with a 1Password account or with the standalone license?

We can help you with either option, but I just want to make sure that we’re giving you the advice that you need.

I was able to get my 1Password account set up on my new computer, however, it doesn't seem to be pulling my most up to date 1Password information.

Setting up a 1Password account on your computer will not automatically migrate your existing data into the account. We have an article in our support pages that can help with that:

Move your existing 1Password data into a 1Password account

Please advise on how I can properly sync my 1Password using iCloud.

If you would like to continue using your standalone license and syncing with iCloud, Drew provided a link in his earlier post that can help guide you through that process:

Move your data with Dropbox or iCloud

Now, if neither of these articles help you out, we’ll need to take a closer look at where you’re at currently with the setup process so we can give you more detailed instructions on how to get set up with either the 1Password account or with iCloud sync.

This discussion has been closed.