Confused with new method of attaching files

Options
richardk
richardk
Community Member
edited August 2016 in Mac

Some applications use license files instead of license keys for activation. I was used to the procedure as still detailed in the manual.

The Attachments field has changed to 'Related Items', and there is now a choice between 'Link Existing' and 'Add New File'. The difference is not clear to me.
Furthermore, and much more disturbing, if I want to use a license file I can not drag it out of 1password to the Finder anymore, as merely clicking it just shows the contents of the file.

So I guess my questions are:

• when do you use 'Link Existing' and when 'Add New File', and what are the differences?
  • what is the correct procedure for adding an app's license file to 1P, and how do I extract it later on?

1Password Version: 6.3.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @richardk,

I'm sorry for any confusion about attachments, Document items, and the 'Related Items' feature! I can definitely help to clear that up.

The steps you found in the user guide explain how attachments work in a local/standalone vault. It sounds like you've migrated your data to a 1Password account, and attachments are handled a little differently in account vaults. The user guide still needs to be updated to explain that, and I apologize for the inconvenience!

When you copy items from a local/standalone vault to a vault in a 1Password account, any attachments will become Documents. A Document is a separate item that can be managed independently of the item that contains it. The item that used to have the attachment will now have a link under Related Items - click on that link to jump to the Document item. You can then click the file icon in that item to download & view the file. Also, if you click the arrow next to 'Quick Look' and choose "Show in Finder", it will open the folder containing that file (you can copy it from there to another location if you want to save a separate/unencrypted copy of that file on your Mac).

The Related Items feature can also be used to link to other kinds of items (not just Documents). Just click the Link Existing button and choose one of the other items in your vault. Or to add a file from your Mac, click the Add New File button and choose the file you want to attach (or simply drag a file from your Mac into the item details in 1Password).

I think that should help to answer your questions, but please let us know if you need more help with that. Again, I'm sorry for the confusion. We're here for you if you need anything else! :)

• richardk
    richardk
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you, I'm feeling less confused now. Also, working on another machine this morning, I learned that the Documents are stored in the Magic Cloud too, and you are able to download them and make a local copy. (you are aware of this of course but it might help other humans).

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're very welcome, @richardk! I'm glad that helped to clear things up a bit.

I learned that the Documents are stored in the Magic Cloud too

That's correct - all the information in your 1Password account is stored on our secure servers. That includes Documents as well as all the other types of items (Logins, Secure Notes, Identities, etc) in your account vault(s). That way, when you sign into your account on another device, you have access to all your data.

A copy of your 1Password account data is also stored locally on each device so you can still use it even if you don't have an internet connection. The only exception is the files in your Document items - you'll need to click on the file icon in a Document to download that file to your device.

If you have more questions about that or need anything else, just let us know. Have a great weekend! :)

• rmblood
    rmblood
    Community Member
    Options

I liked being able to drag software receipts, copies of licenses, and other documents and drop them on different items in 1Password. Now there's nowhere to drag and drop to. If I drag a document to an item (after clicking on "Edit"), the item details disappear and my only choice is to "Add a Linked Document". I don't quite understand what that means, and now I'm seeing a whole list of documents that I assume are attached to other Items. I can still add the file by clicking on "Add New File" and navigating to it, but that's not nearly as handy as drag and drop. I also don't understand what "Link Existing" allows you to do.

1Password Version: 6.3.2
    Extension Version: 4.5.8
    OS Version: OS X 10.11.6
    Sync Type: Dropbox
    Referrer: forum-search:what happened to drag and drop

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rmblood,

Thanks for asking about this. I merged your post with this existing discussion. Please see Drew's first post above and let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns. I'd be happy to address them. :)

• rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member
    Options

Re: documents in cloud vs device (accounts). If I understand correctly, when moving from license to,accounts, attachments become documents and are STORED in the cloud unless and until viewed (downloaded) to your device. So, if I'm traveling and do not have Internet access, my documents ARE NOT available to me unless I view (download) them to my device first, correct?

If so, is ther anyway to download/View them all at once?

• Jacob
    Options

@rlgleason51 That is correct. :) Once you tap "Download & View" on Mac or "View Document" on iOS, that Document will be available offline for you to access whenever you need it. There's not currently a way to bulk-offline them.

This discussion has been closed.