1password6 Beta and Chrome Extension

rhealitycheck
rhealitycheck
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

So I've got a few things going on but most importantly my extension doesn't ask to save passwords and does not have any way for me to generate new passwords. I've now started going to the actual app or the web app to generate and save logins manually which is really sad for me because those were the greatest parts of 1password, that it was so easy to use. I've been using 1password for over a year now with it installed on a Mac, PC and Android and iOS phones and just signed up to evaluate the web version and thought I'd try out the new Windows beta version because I just got upgraded to Windows 10 at work but I'm having an overall really disappointing experience. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

1Password Version: 6.0.186d
Extension Version: 4.5.9.3
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @rhealitycheck,

1Password 6 Beta for Windows is a brand new program that doesn't have all features implemented yet, such as the ability to save or update Login items via the extensions and generating new passwords as well.

We've only implemented 1Password mini in a 1Password 6 beta update a few weeks ago and will be working on many more updates to bring in the best parts of 1Password as you call it. We're still working on the core features of the main 1Password app as 1Password mini+extensions require the main app to work first.

Unfortunately, I do not have a timeframe on when these updates will be done.

• rhealitycheck
    rhealitycheck
    Community Member

Ok, that seems strange because I find this to be core functionality that I use in 1password. Without the browser extension being able to generate passwords and accept new logins which has been the default workflow it seems like this Windows Beta is not a complete beta version especially as it's the one being used with 1password.com. I would not have signed up for the trial yet if I had known that core functionality was missing. It seems premature to me to have the Windows version on offer for a paid product that doesn't even offer a functional browser extension.

That said I've been a huge fan of 1password for my mac and the recent android update has been stellar so I have high hopes for the Windows apps eventually, I'll just have to come back when what seems like core functionality has been added. And I would be more inclined to use web version if the browser extension were functional on all versions of the software.

• Hi @rhealitycheck,

I understand, it's just that majority of our current customers are on macOS and iOS, which does have stable mature apps with 1Password.com and sadly, we're behind on Windows and Android right now. While it doesn't seem like it, this will not be the case once we catch up to them soon, we do consider cross-platform support to be a core feature but it is difficult to align all development at the same time, especially when on Windows, we have to build a new program from scratch rather than adapting current mature apps to support 1Password.com.

I do agree that 1Password mini + extensions is a core feature. The difficulty is that for 1Password mini to work with all features we want to see, the main app has to be done first. If the core app cannot save data, then auto-save via extension can't be done either. The item list you see in 1Password mini is reusing the same code as the item list in the main app.

Every update we do to the main 1Password app benefits 1Password mini as well, it's just that we're still working on the foundation before everything can be implemented on top of it.

We're doing everything we can and we do plan to replicate the Android's development style of frequent small updates rather than bigger updates that we've done on the desktop before. Unfortunately, that doesn't always happen, right now, we're working on a bigger update that has been taking longer than usual to ship.

• rhealitycheck
    rhealitycheck
    Community Member

@MikeT yeah I get that I work in software too. I guess my main issue is that it's being billed as part of the 1password.com suite and I could understand if the credit card info and more minor features was missing but having the browser extension missing adding logins and generating passwords on the fly seem like a big miss with that announcement. I think it would help with customers to just be a little more transparent on the communication that the Windows beta is not the same experience as even in 1Password 4 and that the web version isn't ready for Windows use, at least not as customers are used to at the moment. I'm a user that uses it literally across all the platforms (and I'd use it in Linux if it were ever offered) because I have Macs at home, an iPhone, an Android phone, and Windows (& Linux) at work. I understand that there are really major updates that Windows needs to get it to feature parity with the Mac/iOS suite and that your customer base is much larger in the Apple universe, I'm less concerned that it will take time to make the updates. I'm happy to wait as I've had a great experience with 1password so far it would just be nice if the messaging on the website made it clear that these core features are not out yet and that if users upgrade/start their trial that these pieces will be missing. As-is it's not usable for me in Windows just yet because I rely on the extension to generate passwords and prompt me to save logins, it just doesn't work for me otherwise. And as I said before I'm totally fine waiting for the updates, I would just like the messaging to be clear so that I know when I can start using it and have my expectations met.

All that said, I'm looking forward to the update, the UI looks really comparable to the Mac app which I love using so it'll be nice to have a smooth experience across all the platforms.

• Hi @rhealitycheck,

I understand, we're not making it clear way before you even sign up that not everything is ready yet on Windows. I've passed your feedback and a lot of others like it to our team and they'll see what they can do.

• Putsathit
    Putsathit
    Community Member

@MikeT I can only support @rhealitycheck here! I "upgraded" to your new scheme after setting up my new laptop just to find out that I am now on a MAJOR DOWNGRADE in terms of functionality! The windows beta is not even an MVP version of your software, and seeing so many vital functions missing or replaced by the "we havent developed it yet" message really makes me wonder if also the security features are missing or major security bugs are still uncovered. Also, the fixes in the release notes do not help to reduce this concern! Your team should really be ashamed of yourself for pushing this skeleton of a tool so heavily on your website without any warning. I understand your logic of developing for your larger customer base on Mac first, but then DON'T push an unfinished product into your windows market and use us and our most sensible data as guineapigs for bug testing! This is extreme bad behaviour and I guerantee you will hurt yourself by doing so!

• Thank you for your honest feedback and communicating your frustration and disappointment, @Putsathit, we really appreciate it.

We do make clear on the introduction page for 1Password 6 for Windows that this is very much a beta.

The release notes that you're seeing is us openly communicating the progress we are making on the application. Betas have bugs and some of them might be severe.

What I hope you can see in the release notes and the way we work on pushing the software to be better and to become a product worthy of our customers, is that we don't cut corners. At the moment we're preparing a beta update for our testers with much improved underpinnings related to the local database. This change postponed the release of the first public stable but we wanted to do this, so our customers have a more responsive, stable, and secure app in front of them.

Yes, a few of the features people have come to expect in 1Password for Windows aren't present in the new app, yet, and it pains us greatly. I can assure you, though, that we're working hard on adding them as quickly as possible.

If you have any more feedback for us, we're always happy to listen.

Cheers and have a great week,

Alex

This discussion has been closed.