Dropbox sync troubleshooting

Options
MartinBekkelund
MartinBekkelund
Community Member

Hi,

First of all, thanks for making a great product!

However, I've been having some sync issues lately. I use Dropbox to sync data between my Mac at work, my Mac at home and my iPhone, including sync of the 1Password vault. Dropbox sync works fine for all other syncing, as far as I can see. Dropbox version 8.4.21.

Early this week I discovered that my work Mac did not hold a login I made on my home Mac earlier this summer. Further investigations showed that other logins were missing too. So I brought my work Mac home to work on the issue over the weekend.

In the settings, I discovered that sync was turned off on both my Mac's. I find this very strange, since there is no way that I would turn this off. As it has happened on both Mac's I don't see that I may have caused this by accident either.

I started some investigation, and I found some strange results. In the Dropbox root folder, where my 1Password.agilekeychain relies, the changed date for the same file is different on the two Mac's.

I prepared for merging the vaults again, but I would like some advice before I do so. I backed up my 1Password data on both Mac's via File > Backup. I also backed up the 1Password.agilekeychain in the Dropbox root folder from each Mac, by creating a zip file. The two zip files have different sizes, but that may be caused by how compression is made on the two machines.

What would you recommend me to do next? Just go ahead and turn on sync in the settings on each machine? Would any merge conflicts take care of themselves?

PS. I have some screenshots if necessary.

Best regards,

Martin Bekkelund
Oslo, Norway

1Password Version: 6.3.2
Extension Version: 4.5.9
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @MartinBekkelund,

I'm sorry you're having some trouble, but thank you for your kind words about 1Password despite the circumstances. :)

The easiest way to merge the data would be to…

1. Move the 1Password.agilekeychain files from your Dropbox folders on each Mac to your desktop or elsewhere. It's just the sync data. 1Password stores your data "internally" (in your ~/Library/Application Support/ folder).
    2. Turn off syncing with Dropbox on your iPhone.
    3. Set up syncing with Dropbox on one Mac, wait for Dropbox to finish syncing, and set up Dropbox syncing on the other Mac.
    4. Lastly, set up syncing with Dropbox on your iPhone.

I don't anticipate any trouble with the process, but you were wise to create backups already. :+1:

Let me know how it goes!

• MartinBekkelund
    MartinBekkelund
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks a lot for a quick reply, khad!

I followed your steps and it worked out fine! All devices are syncing again.

Thanks for helping out!

Best regards,

Martin Bekkelund
    Oslo, Norway

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of Khad, you're very welcome! I'm glad that helped and that your Macs and iPhone are all syncing correctly with each other again.

Hopefully you're all set now, but if you have more questions or need anything else, just let us know. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.