Confused between local vault and 1Password Account

dwk
dwk
Community Member

Hi, I just signed up for individual 1Password Account.

I am currently only using windows machines and therefore can't use 1Password account at the moment.

So, when 1Password 6 for windows starts to roll out, I will have to import my current passwords from 1Password 4 into the new 1Password 6 and then add my 1Password account.

This is where it gets very confusing.

Let's say my current master password for 1Password 4 is 'A'. If I import my data into 1Password 6, then my master password would still be 'A' since it was imported from 1Password 4.

Let's say my 1Password account's master password is 'B'. In order to move my data from 1Password 6 to 1Password account I will have to use password 'A' to open my 1Password 6 and use password 'B' to add 1Password account.

I'm clueless as to what happens after moving all of my passwords to 1Password account through 1Password 6 since I am left with 2 master passwords.

Can anyone enlighten me on this matter ?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hey @dwk! Thanks for posting about this. I'd be happy to clear things up. :)

Let's say my current master password for 1Password 4 is 'A'. If I import my data into 1Password 6, then my master password would still be 'A' since it was imported from 1Password 4.

Let's say my 1Password account's master password is 'B'. In order to move my data from 1Password 6 to 1Password account I will have to use password 'A' to open my 1Password 6 and use password 'B' to add 1Password account.

To avoid this, all you have to do is sign in to your account when you first launch 1Password 6. Your account's Master Password will be used for the app, and you can import your existing vault by clicking the gear icon, then choosing Accounts & Vaults -> Folder -> Open Vault and selecting your vault. How's that sound?

• dwk
    dwk
    Community Member

Got it !

Thanks for the help

• No problem. :) Let us know if you have any other questions!

This discussion has been closed.