Trying to use extension causes mini to crash

Drew_AG
Drew_AG
1Password Alumni
This discussion was created from comments split from: Chrome extension is visible but does nothing when clicked.

Comments

• spcphd
    spcphd
    Community Member

Please help! I am having the same trouble as CoderMay. The 1password extension for Chrome on OS X installs but crashes 1password mini and does not work in the browser. I am running OS X 10.11.6, Chrome 52.0.2743.116 (64-bit), and 1Password 6.3.2. 1Password mini is always running and boots at login. I've tried several times deleting Chrome and all extensions. I've reinstalled both. Still, when I seek to install the extension and click on the button in the browser, it crashes 1password and makes 1password mini hang. This is the screen I get. It is looking for 1password 4???

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @spcphd,

I'm sorry you're having trouble with the 1Password browser extension! It sounds like you may be running into a different problem than the one described in the previous thread, so I've moved your message to a separate discussion. I hope you don't mind!

Thank you for including a screenshot of the message you're seeing. The text in that message was originally written for 1Password 4, which is why it refers to that version. That error appears if the extension cannot connect to 1Password mini, so it doesn't actually have any idea which version of the 1Password app is installed on your Mac. Sorry for the confusion! We should update that message so it doesn't refer to a specific version like that.

The 1password extension for Chrome on OS X installs but crashes 1password mini...

Can you please elaborate on that? What action seems to cause 1Password mini to crash? (For example, does that happen when you click on the 1Password extension icon in Chrome's toolbar?) When that happens, do you see a message letting you know that 1Password mini crashed?

...when I seek to install the extension and click on the button in the browser, it crashes 1password and makes 1password mini hang.

Is that the same as the first crash you mentioned? Do the main 1Password app and 1Password mini both crash?

Can you please let us know what version of the 1Password extension is installed in Chrome?

Also, you can try this to see if it helps at all:

• Open the main 1Password app and go to 1Password > Preferences > General.
    • Make sure the option for "Always keep 1Password Mini running" is enabled.
    • While holding the control key on your keyboard, go to the 1Password menu and select "Quit 1Password and 1Password mini".
    • Reboot your Mac.
    • After it restarts, make sure the 1Password mini icon appears in your Mac's toolbar - assuming it does, try clicking on it (unlock it to make sure it seems to be working).
    • If mini is working on its own, open Chrome and try clicking the extension.

Is there any difference this time? Please let us know how it goes, and if it's still a problem, we'll continue from there. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.