Forgot password...

Starflyer
Starflyer
Community Member

My situation, one MacBook Air, one iPad and one iPhone with 1 Password. I actually have(had) 2 iPhones, one of which I seldom used. I sold my "daily driver" iPhone and am using my spare iPhone which also has my passwords. However, I recently changed my main unlock 1Password and thought that when syncing, my new password would work with work with my backup iPhone. Yes, I'm getting a hint, but that's not working for me on my spare iPhone.

I'm wondering if I delete 1Password from this problem phone, download 1Password again and then sync from my MacBook Air, will that also sync my new password to the problem phone? Whatever I do, I don't want to LOSE access to 1Password on my MBA, and my iPad.

1Password Version: 6.3.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Starflyer,

I'm sorry you're having some trouble unlocking 1Password on your backup iPhone!

After changing a master password from one device, you may need to unlock it once more on other devices with the old master password, depending on which method you're using to sync (once unlocked, it should sync changes and then start requiring the new master password). So it sounds like your backup iPhone might still be asking for your previous master password. Do you still remember what that was? If so, try entering that on the iPhone to see if it works.

In case it helps, we also have a few more tips here: Recover your Master Password

If you still can't unlock 1Password on the backup iPhone, you can certainly delete the app from your iPhone and reinstall it - just keep in mind that will delete all the local 1Password data stored on that iPhone (but if you have all your latest data in 1Password on your Mac, that's not a problem). After reinstalling it on the iPhone, open it and go through the brief setup. You'll need to make sure you choose the same sync method you're using on your Mac (like Dropbox, iCloud, or sign into your 1Password account if you have one). When you do that, it should ask you for the new master password.

Please let us know how it goes, and if it's still a problem, we'll continue from there. Thanks! :)

• Starflyer
    Starflyer
    Community Member

I've tried all the tips without success. I'm going to try the delete 1Password from the backup phone, then reinstall it and then try to sync it. I'm not out anything if it doesn't work because it's not working now. The problem started when I thought I lost my go-to iPhone and was worried about my passwords. So I changed my master password with the backup phone OFF in a drawer. Two or 3 weeks later, I pull the backup IP out and try to access 1Password. I haven't a clue as to what the hint means.

Thanks for the response...

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

You're very welcome, @Starflyer! It sounds like you don't normally use that backup iPhone very often, so I'm guessing you have all your latest 1Password data on your Mac. In that case, you're absolutely right - you won't lose anything by deleting 1Password from that iPhone, because once you reinstall it, you'll be able to re-sync your data from your Mac.

We're here for you if you have more questions about that or run into any other issue! :)

• Starflyer
    Starflyer
    Community Member

I wish the above were true. I just did delete 1Password from my backup iPhone, then reinstalled the program on the backup. When I start the app up, I get the following...

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Starflyer

I'm sorry to hear that you're still having some trouble with 1Password. I think that part of your message or an attachment didn't make it through. I will go ahead and try to guess what your problem is so I can help you! When you open 1Password for the first time you nee to tap on the option "Use without an Account" so you can then pick iCloud or Dropbox for syncing your local data. You don't have a sign in address or an Account Key. That's what my intuition tells me could have been your problem, but if I didn't get it right please let us know exactly what's your problem and we'll help you sort it out! :chuffed:

• Starflyer
    Starflyer
    Community Member

I guess I'm out of luck. No matter what I do, I still end up without the entry password. I do see the hint, but at this time, I haven't been able to come up with the answer. I would even consider starting over again my backup phone if I could, even if I had to enter all the data manually. I tried both of your hints about iCloud or DropBox, but that didn't work.

To once again review this problem, I have 4 devices (Apple) that I was running 1Password on. I had a security scare and decided to change my 1Password password. The only problem was that my backup phone was turned off at the time when I synced the other 3 devices with the new password which I've been using now for at least a couple of months.

About a week or so ago, I decided to startup my backup IP, but I can't open my 1Password account on it because it's still using my old password that I don't remember and the hint isn't helping me.

I thought about starting a new account on it, but I'm afraid that might screw up my existing 1Password account serving my other 3 devices.

It's hazy in my mind, but I seem to remember seeing a list of my passwords either on my Windows computer or my OS-X computer, maybe in key chain. It was something that I could view, but so far, haven't figured out how I got to that point.

IF I were to start a new 1Password vault, would that interfere with my existing vault? Sure don't want to screw that one up.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Starflyer,

I'm sorry this hasn't been as easy as we thought! But don't worry, you're not out of luck - we'll figure this out one way or another. :)

No matter what I do, I still end up without the entry password.

Can you please describe the exact steps you take after reinstalling 1Password on your backup iPhone? For example, when you open it for the first time after reinstalling it, do you choose "Sign into 1Password account" or "Use without an account"? What options do you choose after that? Have you signed up for a subscription account on 1Password.com, or are you trying to use one of the other sync options (Dropbox, iCloud, WLAN)? If you can walk us through exactly what steps you're taking and what happens/what you see when you do that, we should have a much better idea of what's going on and how to help.

I would even consider starting over again my backup phone if I could, even if I had to enter all the data manually.

No need to do that - you have your 1Password data on your Mac, iPad, and regular iPhone, so you should definitely be able to sync it from those to your backup iPhone. We just need to figure out why it's still asking for an older master password.

IF I were to start a new 1Password vault, would that interfere with my existing vault? Sure don't want to screw that one up.

That shouldn't cause any problems for the vault on your other 3 devices, even if you merge it with a new one you create on your backup iPhone. However, there shouldn't be any need to do that.

In addition to the description I asked you for above, can you also please let us know a few other details:

• What version of iOS do you have on your iPhone?
    • What sync option do you use between your Mac, iPad, and regular iPhone?
    • If you open 1Password on your Mac and go to Preferences > Sync, is the correct sync option enabled?
    • Do you have multiple vaults in 1Password on your Mac?

Thanks! :)

• Starflyer
    Starflyer
    Community Member
    edited September 2016

Can you please describe the exact steps you take after reinstalling 1Password on your backup iPhone?

**After I deleted 1Psssaword from my phone, I selected “Use without an account”. I first tried “sync with iCloud”. That prompted me to sign in with my “forgotten” password, supplying the hint that I can’t figure out. DEAD END.

Then I tried Drop Box, but I don’t ever remember using that for a 1Password backup and DB could not find anything to sync.

Then I tried Sync with WLAN server which is the normal way I always have synced my accounts with my 4 devices

No need to do that - you have your 1Password data on your Mac, iPad, and regular iPhone, so you should definitely be able to sync it from those to your backup iPhone. We just need to figure out why it's still asking for an older master password.

**Above is the strange part. After removing 1Password from the phone and then reinstalling, it still prompts me for the old password. While it would be a slight PITA, I’m wondering if I were one again delete 1Password, then make an iTunes backup, then put the problem iPhone back to factory standards and then reload it, and immediately install a new copy of 1Password, if I could then sync it with my working 1Password or would it still prompt me for the old password? Sorry about the run on sentence.

MacBook Air 10.11.6
    iOS 9.3.5
    1Password6 6.3.2
    __• What version of iOS do you have on your iPhone?

• What sync option do you use between your Mac, iPad, and regular iPhone?_

**• Mac set to run 1Password WLAN  (still works with my MBA and iPad).  I just loaded a dummy item in my MBA 1Password profile, synced and it now appears in my iPhone 1Password directory. ** 

_ • If you open 1Password on your Mac and go to Preferences > Sync, is the correct sync option enabled?
    • _
    _

**Yes, the correct sync in enabled and no, I only have one vault. I can only assume deep in the bowels of the old iPhone, there exists some some link that asks for the old password no matter what I do to date.

• Starflyer
    Starflyer
    Community Member

Can you please describe the exact steps you take after reinstalling 1Password on your backup iPhone?

**After I deleted 1Psssaword from my phone, I selected “Use without an account”. I first tried “sync with iCloud”. That prompted me to sign in with my “forgotten” password, supplying the hint that I can’t figure out. DEAD END.

Then I tried Drop Box, but I don’t ever remember using that for a 1Password backup and DB could not find anything to sync.

Then I tried Sync with WLAN server which is the normal way I always have synced my accounts with my 4 devices

_No need to do that - you have your 1Password data on your Mac, iPad, and regular iPhone, so you should definitely be able to sync it from those to your backup iPhone. We just need to figure out why it's still asking for an older master password.
    _

**Above is the strange part. After removing 1Password from the phone and then reinstalling, it still prompts me for the old password. While it would be a slight PITA, I’m wondering if I were one again delete 1Password, then make an iTunes backup, then put the problem iPhone back to factory standards and then reload it, and immediately install a new copy of 1Password, if I could then sync it with my working 1Password or would it still prompt me for the old password? Sorry about the run on sentence.

MacBook Air 10.11.6
    iOS 9.3.5
    1Password6 6.3.2
    __• What version of iOS do you have on your iPhone?

• What sync option do you use between your Mac, iPad, and regular iPhone?_

**• Mac set to run 1Password WLAN (still works with my MBA and iPad). I just loaded a dummy item in my MBA 1Password profile, synced and it now appears in my iPhone 1Password directory. **

_ • If you open 1Password on your Mac and go to Preferences > Sync, is the correct sync option enabled?

• _

**Yes, the correct sync in enabled and no, I only have one vault. I can only assume deep in the bowels of the old iPhone, there exists some some link that asks for the old password no matter what I do to date.

• Starflyer
    Starflyer
    Community Member

Call me stupid. I finally figured out how to sync to my backup iPhone. You guys once again had the right answer, but I didn't listen.

This time I dumped 1Password from the phone. This time after I download the program once again from iTunes, I got the "welcome to 1password screen". I clicked on the second option "Use without an account". When the next screen popped up, asking if I wanted to install a new account, I was worried that this option might blow away my main 1Password data base, so it didn't use that one. This time I did and it prompted me to load 1Password on my MBA. When I did that, it prompted me to enter the "secret string" on the MBA. Either before that happened or immediately after, it prompted me to enter my 1Password, this time with my regular HINT. When I saw that hint, I knew I was home free.

Thanks again for making me see it through to success...

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

That's great news, @Starflyer! I'm very happy to hear you figured it out and that it all worked correctly. Thank you for following up to explain what happened. :)

Hopefully you're all set now, but as always, if you need more help or have other questions, just let us know - we're here for you!

This discussion has been closed.