Feature Request! Emergency Access

TJohnson93
TJohnson93
Community Member
edited September 2016 in Families

Hi,

I know that there are plenty of requests for a feature like this on the discussion board, however thought I'd also put in an input and think what people think. I used to use 1Password a while ago and only changed to Dashlane then onto LastPass due to their web access (and cheaper than Dashlane)... I am now re-looking at 1Password (specifically because of the Families option and 2FA solution) but in my research have also discovered a beautiful feature of Dashlane that has me conflicted, Emergency Access, I know that Emergency Kit exists, however believe this would be an easier and quicker solution should the need for emergency access arise.

This is a great solution as you set an emergency contact initially and that emergency contact will request access to your vault should the need to arise. You are then required to deny the request within 2 days if you wish... However the use case for such a feature is if you are seriously injured or dead your family (already approved) will be able to access credentials (especially financial etc.) to sort out affairs etc. It is easier than trying to take the time and attempt to get access to a safety deposit box (especially if the Master Password has changed and have not yet updated the Emergency Kit PDF).

This is one feature that I would 100% switch back to 1Password.

Again I am aware of all the requests for this feature however thought I'd provide a bit more information on a implementation option.

Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Emergency Access

Comments

• PhoenixDown
    PhoenixDown
    Community Member

I like this idea

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @TJohnson93 and @PhoenixDown

First of all, thank you for taking some time to write in. It's great to know that you want to come back to 1Password, we'll be looking forward to have you with us again :chuffed:

The idea that your present is a really nice one, it's always smart to have a plan in case the worst happens. Right now we do have the option to help other members recover access in case they've lost it, so that's already a very good feature!

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us, we work to make 1Password better every day, I hope you stick around to see all the new things that are constantly added! :chuffed:

• 365nice
    365nice
    Community Member

That is a neat idea - although I suppose it's about finding the right safeguards. What is the right timeout value (when on holiday I might not check my email for 2 days so do I trust my admin? Or did it go into the spam bucket and I didn't see it? This could be mitigated in part by me accessing the service with the app as constituting a refusal). I could also imagine that another safeguard could be that I nominate a secondary recovery email address that is used after the timeout - so I can nominate a second trusted person that will recover on my behalf (which would preserve the ethos of the current 1P strategy where the admin doesn't get anything special unless they are also that nominated secondary email).

By the way, I hadn't clicked that the recovery process let you recover your personal vault without the account key. I have been paranoid about this point and it would be good I'd that link also pointed this out a bit more clearly.

Tim

• Interesting points. The message shouldn't go to spam so long as your initial signup confirmation didn't. :) You're welcome to add as many recovery-capable members to your account as you'd like as backups, but right now they will have access to the data in the account as well and I can see how that isn't quite desirable.

By the way, I hadn't clicked that the recovery process let you recover your personal vault without the account key. I have been paranoid about this point and it would be good I'd that link also pointed this out a bit more clearly.

Well, it lets you recover whatever account you are attempting to recover without having the Account Key or Master Password for that account. So the Personal vault would be included, but it doesn't mean that the person who recovers you can access it — you're the only one with access to your email, and I should hope you generated a strong password for that. ;)

• brandscill
    brandscill
    Community Member

This is a very nice idea - and one that I miss since switching back from LastPass and 1Password

• Hi @brandscill - Thank you for letting us know this is an important feature that you would like to see implemented within 1Password. I'll make sure to let the team know and I appreciate you taking the time to share some feedback with us. :+1:

• simon2239
    simon2239
    Community Member

Any update on whether this feature is in development? Like many others it is the one missing feature stopping me switching from Dashlane.

• john_m
    john_m
    1Password Alumni

Hi @simon2239! No updates to share as of yet, but thanks for providing your feedback about this! :+1:

• simon2239
    simon2239
    Community Member

Thanks for the response @john_m - so this is not in active development or planned?

• john_m
    john_m
    1Password Alumni

@simon2239 It's something we have on our radar, I just don't have any news to share with you about it at the moment! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.