1password purchased from Agile bits and not app store - need help

Options
diane_aspelgroup
diane_aspelgroup
Community Member

I am a long, long time user of 1password. I first purchased 1 password 3 for Mac and now I am using 1Password6 (version 6.3.2) on my imac desktop with operation system OSX Yosemite 10.10.5. I am phasing out this computer and moving to a MacBook Pro with the same operating system. I am trying to install 1 Password 6 on this computer and do not see the directions for how to do this for someone who did not purchase this in the app store. I have my login, key number and password. I also have my license information for 1Password 6. The directions tell me to just log in on the app. The only way I see to get the app is to download it from the app store and pay almost $70 more dollars for a new license. I want to use 1Password 6 on my new computer and not lose any of my data. Please give me instruction on how to use 1password 6 on my macbook pro and would also like to know how to use it on my iphone6 plus.

1Password Version: 6.3.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.10.5
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @diane_aspelgroup,

I'm sorry you're running into some difficulty with setting up 1Password on another Mac! But don't worry, we can definitely help you out with that. :)

I am trying to install 1 Password 6 on this computer and do not see the directions for how to do this for someone who did not purchase this in the app store.

Is the problem that you don't know where to download the 1Password 6 app? If so, you can find that on our download site. After you download 1Password 6 for Mac, just unzip it if necessary, then move the 1Password 6.app file to the Applications folder on that Mac. Double-click on the app to open it.

I have my login, key number and password. I also have my license information for 1Password 6.

The 1Password 6 app can be activated with a license file. I was able to find your license in our system and I had that resent to your email address. In that email, use the Click here to Apply Your 1Password License link, and that should automatically add your license file.

Although that activates the app, the data you've added to 1Password is separate from the license. It sounds like you might be having trouble getting that data from your old Mac to the new one:

The directions tell me to just log in on the app.

It sounds like the steps you found are for signing into a 1Password account in the 1Password for Mac app. A 1Password account is a subscription service that we started offering this year. What you purchased in 2014 was a 1Password license (specifically, a license for the Mac version of 1Password). That may have caused some confusion when trying to set things up on the new Mac, and if so, I apologize for that!

If you're curious about the difference between a license and an account, we explain more about that here: The difference between a 1Password subscription and a standalone license

If the problem is that you don't know how to get your data from the old Mac to the new Mac, there are actually a few different ways to do that. One way is to sign up for a 1Password account, which makes it very easy to sync your data because once you have that set up, all you need to do is sign into that account from the 1Password app. If you don't have an account and don't want to sign up for one, the easiest way to transfer your data is by syncing it via Dropbox or iCloud. We have information about each sync option here: Sync your 1Password data

You'll need to set up one of the sync options in 1Password on your old Mac first (if you haven't already done so). Then, you just need to choose that same option when setting up 1Password on the new Mac. For example, if you sync via Dropbox or iCloud, then when you open 1Password on your new Mac, it should find your data in Dropbox or iCloud and you can choose that option (or you might need to click an option to find your data somewhere else first).

Please give me instruction on how to use 1password 6 on my macbook pro

Hopefully my information above helps you with that, but if you're still having trouble, please let us know exactly where you're getting stuck or what you don't understand and we'll be happy to help!

and would also like to know how to use it on my iphone6 plus.

On your iPhone, you'll need to download the iOS version of 1Password from the App Store (the iOS version is a free download so you won't need to pay for that). When you open it, you'll have a couple options:

• Sign in to your 1Password account - Choose this only if you've signed up for a 1Password subscription account.
    • Use without an account - Choose this if you sync your 1Password data via Dropbox or iCloud.

I hope this helps, but please don't hesitate to let us know if you're still confused about any of that or if you have more questions. We're always happy to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.