Can't add attachments to 1password 6 beta [Document items are supported, related items not yet]

Options
martinsjus
martinsjus
Community Member

I'm on the 6 month trial, and there's one thing that is a deal breaker for me - I can't seem to be able to add attachments to 1Password client for Windows 10. There just isn't an option for me to even browse files and I can't drag-and-drop them either. (Obviously when I'm in 'edit' mode) Not as an attachment, for example, to a bank account, not as a doc. file in the 'documents' category.
In combination with the fact that you can't even save pictures in iOS app, which numerous other password managers can do for a fraction of a price of a 1Password subscription, and it's hard to justify even spending the time in setting up this service.

Is this a known issue in 1Password 6 beta client, or is this issue just affecting me?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Dear @martinsjus,

You are not the only one. It is a known issue that Attachments are not yet supported in the current version of 1Password 6 beta for Windows. I am sorry it is causing a great deal of frustration for you, but our developers are working hard on making 1Password 6 just as good as 1Password on other platforms and there is a big progress with it.

You can, however, add documents (.pdf, .doc, or any other) to your 1Password vault via web-interface at 1password.com and view them on your iPhone. Please think about it not as a solution to this issue, but a temporary workaround. :)

As for your last point about 1Password price, I can see where you're coming from. We understand that 1Password 6 on Windows is not a complete solution yet, and that is part of the reason why we launched Individual accounts with 6 months trial as a sign on our love and understanding. We’re a 100% customer-funded company and it is scary for us to give away our one and only product, but we think it is worth it. Thank you for using 1Password!

If you have more questions, fire away, I will be happy to answer them. :+1:

++
    Greg

• martinsjus
    martinsjus
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the detailed answer, @justgregb

I think I'll stay with 1Password for the time being, and re-evaluate the service when the trial ends, if Windows version still doesn't support attachments by then, I'll have to look elsewhere.

On related note, will iOS app support uploading pictures from the phone, like onesafe does? It's really a great feature for things like bank code cards or anything sensitive really, where I'm too lazy to write it down on the device and can take a picture of.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @martinsjus,

Thanks you for giving us a chance! :)

We hope to add Documents support for 1Password Accounts to 1Password on iOS soon. This is one of the top priority things on our to-do list, as we are aware of how many customers would love to see this feature. However, I don't have any exact timeframe for this and I hope for your understanding.

Thanks again,

Greg

• Raoul_Raijmakers
    Raoul_Raijmakers
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Greg,

I just bought the 1password 6 beta for Windows but neither on the app (as you correctly stated above) nor online can I add my attachments. What am I doing wrong? Thanks for your help! Raoul

• Hi @Raoul_Raijmakers,

Where did you download 1Password 6 Beta from, the Windows Store or from here?

In 1Password 6 Beta, to attach a file:

1. Click on New Item > Document
    2. Drag the file or click on the file icon to add a file. Here's a screenshot:

The same for the web app, create a new document item and attach a file there:

• Raoul_Raijmakers
    Raoul_Raijmakers
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you Mike, I guess the .net updating did it. Works fine now, thanks!
    Greetz, Raoul

• You're welcome! Let us know if there's anything else we can do to help.

• RobbyDeLaet
    RobbyDeLaet
    Community Member
    Options

On Mac OSX (version 6.5.2) when editing an item, there is the possibility to add "related items" via the buttons at the bottom "Link Existing" and "Add New File". On Windows 10 I'm missing this option (version 6.1.308d). Is this featured planned?

• Hi @RobbyDeLaet,

Thanks for writing in and yes, we do plan to add Related Items support to 1Password 6 for Windows.

I don't have a timeframe on it but we're working on polishing up the item editor to support creating custom fields/sections and that should lead us to adding Related Items afterward.

• RobbyDeLaet
    RobbyDeLaet
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Mike. Keep up the good work!

• You're welcome and thanks, we will.

• rosenkrieger
    rosenkrieger
    Community Member
    Options

So it is March. 2017 and I still do not see any information or possibility to use attachements with 1Password 6 on Windows 10.

Is this feature, which I relied on heavily off the table or is there an ETA?

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @rosenkrieger,

Attachments or technically Documents have been supported since the first stable release back in October 2016, as shown in my post above.

Create a new Document item and drag your attachment in there or if you have multiple files you want to upload, go to the New Item > Import Files as Documents.

• rosenkrieger
    rosenkrieger
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you Mike - then I misunderstood. I did not mean Documents but Attachements.

Example. Currently I have quiet a few Software Licenses in 1Password - on the Mac. I simply drag receipt PDFs and other Documents into this Software License in 1Password and they get attached.

In other words - I don't want to create a single document but rather attach documents to existing Entries such as Software licenses, Notes, etc.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rosenkrieger: That isn't something that the new app supports since it local vaults are read-only. Documents are supported, but they don't work the way you describe. However, we'll keep this in mind as we continue to develop the service, since there's definitely room for improvement with regard to how Documents are managed. Thanks for the feedback!

• MikeT
    edited March 2017
    Options

Hi @rosenkrieger,

There are no attachments on 1Password.com, they only exist as Document Items.

The macOS version of 1Password is doing some magic to upload your files as Document items and then add them as "Related Items" to the item you dragged the files into.

1Password 6 for Windows support showing these Related Items but it does not yet support adding Related Items yet, that's coming in a future update. Once we do support it, we'll then add drag support, so that as soon as you do drag files into an item, 1Password 6 will upload the files as Document items and then update the item with these Document items as related items.

• ErikSwan
    ErikSwan
    Community Member
    edited September 2017
    Options

When is creating Related Items coming to the Windows app? We're coming up on December of 2017.

• Hi @ErikSwan,

While there are still the months of September, October, November left before we reach December, we don't have an ETA on when adding your own Related Items is coming.

We did implement this partially for the import/migration process in the last 1Password 6.7 update, where it automatically creates a Related Item for each attachment you had added to each item and vis versa. This work does mean we should be able to complete the work on Related Items sooner but we do have other higher prioritized issues to finish first but hopefully, we'll get this done for you before the end of the year.

• mrrocks
    mrrocks
    Community Member
    Options

I'm also a paying customer, and it's infuriating that we're in 2018 and this feature isn't released for windows yet. This lack of professionalism is seriously making me consider switching to another service.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mrrocks: Thanks for getting in touch! I'm story for the confusion. 1Password.com does not use attachments at all, but if you have a 1Password.com membership, you can upload Documents in 1Password 6. Similarly, if you purchased 1Password 4, you can use attachments there. Cheers! :)

• RobbyDeLaet
    RobbyDeLaet
    Community Member
    Options

The problem is the following: in the 1Password app for Mac OS there is a "Related Items" section at the bottom of each item. Underneath there is a "Link Existing" and a "Add New File" button. We are referring to this "Add New File" button.

In the Windows version of 1Password, this functionality is not available. And we are all waiting for it since, well... a very long time.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@RobbyDeLaet: As mentioned above, this discussion is about adding Documents to 1Password. This feature was added long ago. You can do this by creating a new Document item (singular) in the app from the + New Item menu, or add multiple Documents from there at once.

It sounds like you're referring only to Related Items. 1Password 6 supports displaying these (and following the links), but does not have the ability to create these links yet. That's coming in an update. It could even be the next one, but we'll have to see how it goes. I hope that clears things up. Cheers! :)

• mrrocks
    mrrocks
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty, seriously… I understand the current the state of the app I'm using and paying for. Attachments is a key feature in 1Password for mac (when you are paying a subscription). We want and need attachment in Windows. For the last 2 years (!!!) you kept saying that is coming in an update, and THAT is what is infuriating.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@brenty, seriously… I understand the current the state of the app I'm using and paying for. Attachments is a key feature in 1Password for mac (when you are paying a subscription). We want and need attachment in Windows. For the last 2 years (!!!) you kept saying that is coming in an update, and THAT is what is infuriating.

@mrrocks: You seems to be saying that attachments are not supported on Windows, but they have been for years in 1Password 4. Given that 1Password 6 does not use local vaults, it doesn't make sense for it to support a local-vaults-only feature like attachments. It uses Documents instead, since that's a 1Password.com feature. And those have been supported in the app for quite a while now. I'm sorry if my earlier comments were unclear.

• mrrocks
    mrrocks
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty maybe this was unclear to you in my last two comments, but as pay-ING customer I'm using 1Password 6, the family plan to be exact. I know some weird form of document support is in place. Nobody in this thread cares about that, nobody is unclear on how this basic document support works. It's pretty straight forward, and everyone has figured it out before coming here with the hope for a better solution.

Now, with that out the way: we really don't care that attachments is a local-vaults-only feature. Everyone seems to be stating very clearly that attachments to specific items, like logins, IS the feature we need on the latest version of 1Password (which seems to be implemented on 1Password 6 for mac, even if it's a hack). The one you have been saying for 2 years is in the works.

If that's not gonna happen, just say so and we'll move on, but please, avoid replying with the same story about documents and how they work.

• Hi @mrrocks,

You are correct that people don't want the technical explanations or reasons, 1Password should be working the same way on all platforms regardless.

While we can't share a timeframe, the two buttons to add an existing item and to add a new file in the item editor is being worked on.

• mrrocks
    mrrocks
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Mike, that's all I needed to hear.

• RobbyDeLaet
    RobbyDeLaet
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Mike, that's indeed the answer I was looking for too, those 2 buttons.

• You're welcome. I will update this thread when we have more progress on this, which shouldn't be long given what we're testing on internally.

This discussion has been closed.