Unable to update to latest beta

Options
shepstl
shepstl
Community Member

When trying to install the latest beta it fails to install (no error or anything. Just goes through the install process then closes before it finishes).

After the update failed, I decided to download the full install file and remove the old install and install from scratch. When I do that, I get the following error:

Error 1001. InstallUtilLib.dll: Unknown Error

1Password Version: 6.0.197
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• @shepstl that sounds like something is wrong with Windows Installer, do you have system updates installed? Can you reboot and try again? Are you using some anti-virus/anti-malware software?

• henningklasen
    henningklasen
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same issue.

Have restarted computer. I will try to uninstall 1p6 beta and try again. Attaching screenshots.

I am on a computer managed by an IT department, probably littered with anti-virus stuff. However, the last two installers of 1p6Beta worked fine.

• henningklasen
    henningklasen
    Community Member
    Options

I see the same things in the Event Viewer. I'll try to download an older build for the time being.

• jrork1
    jrork1
    Community Member
    Options

I had the same issue with the new build and had no issue installing the previous release.

• henningklasen
    henningklasen
    Community Member
    Options

I notice you have changed the default install location since build 186. Previously in c:\Program Files (x86)... Now in %localappdata%. I don't know if that has anything to do with the failing install though.

I'm on Windows 7 Enterprise Service Pack 1.

• krisse
    krisse
    Community Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

I second jrork1's comment. Same issue but no problems with prior releases.

Windows 8.1 Enterprise, 64-bit OS
    Attempting to upgrade to 1Password Version: 6.0.197 from 6.0.186

• As @henningklasen correctly noticed the default install path is now %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password\app\6. There was one other change to manually invoke 6.0.186 package removal, that has to be done at the end of setup with 5 seconds delay, because MSI can not run two installs at a time and can not properly update package installed for "everyone" with package being installed "just for me".

We are investigation what specifics setup could cause the issue you are observing.

• mohamedosman
    mohamedosman
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@krisse, @henningklasen, @shepstl, @jrork1, the issue seems to be caused by not having the latest version of .NET installed on your machine. 1Password needs .NET 4.6.1 which you can download here.

After downloading .NET 4.6.1, install it, then restart your machine. Next try installing the latest version of 1Password 6.

Please let me know if this works for you, hope to hear from you soon.

• henningklasen
    henningklasen
    Community Member
    Options

@mohamedosman Thanks for the help.

1. It worked!
    2. The installer just quits after being done, doesn't notify me of being done or successful.

Starting the 1P app shows a welcome screen and informs me that I upgraded and prompts me to sign in again.

In the future, I think it would be a good idea to let the user know that the installation was successful. If not possible, at least let user know installer will do it's work and quit, prompt user to start 1P after installer quits.

I reinstalled the 1P helper for Firefox and initial impressions is that it is working smoother. Previously I had many issues that browser would open new tab and connect to 1P app, but could not fill passwords. It was like the connection browser<->app was not finished. Repeating the process a few times would mostly fix it. I will report back in a new thread if this problem persists.

• @henningklasen on behalf of @mohamedosman you are welcome!

To be honest installer should have let you know that everything went ok, we are still investigating why it didn't. We are experimenting with another tool to produce installer, hoping to resolve these issues and to have correct .NET framework version checks in result.

As for helper - there were few changes that should make it more responsive and solve focusing issues, and I'm glad to know it feels better now.

@shepstl @krisse @jrork1 @henningklasen Thank you all for your feedback and please keep it coming, it helps us to get 1Password better :)

• krisse
    krisse
    Community Member
    Options

This works for me @SergeyTheAgile ! Thanks :)

• That's great to hear and thanks for letting us know, @krisse.

This discussion has been closed.