Multiple issues with Beta 6 on Windows 10

Options
mzaurov
mzaurov
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Hello,
I just decided to make the switch from Lastpass to 1password. The iOS and OSX apps are great, but the Windows app, as I'm sure you're aware, needs a lot of work. I'm debating if I want to stay with 1password because of how buggy the Windows app is. I primarily use Windows 10.

1. sometimes after unlocking, the 1password app window just stays white and nothing happens. I have to close it and reopen and unlock again.

2. I'm using with Chrome. Seems like it does not detect when I create a new password? On Lastpass (and also 1password on OSX) if I create a new account on a site I'll get a popup asking me if I want to save it. This does not happen on Windows with 1password. Kind of a dealbreaker. Any ETA of when this will be fixed?

3. Not a big deal but minor bug. When I click on Email Us in the settings menu, a new Chrome blank window opens up and a new explorer window with diagnostic folder.

Thanks!

1Password Version: 6.0.186d
Extension Version: 4.5.9.90
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• edgrsanchez
    edgrsanchez
    Community Member
    Options

I'm running into similar issues. I actually really want to use Edge on Windows 10, but there's no extension for it yet (they've explained why). I'm just getting annoyed and instead of 1Password working seamlessly in the background, it seems like i'm constantly having to interact with it. I moved from LastPass to Dashlane to 1Password... but im now planning on moving to LastPass again since they fully support Windows 10 and have a 6 month free premium trial for students, and their subscription costs are reasonable.

• mzaurov
    mzaurov
    Community Member
    Options

I'm not going back to Lastpass because they have this super annoying bug with my bank's website (Wells Fargo) and Chrome. They can't produce it on their end, but I have it on multiple computers. 1password works fine for me in that regard. I'm sure their Windows app will improve in a few months.

Not sure why you would want to use Edge. It doesn't offer any advantage over Chrome except for slightly lower power consumption

• Hi @mzaurov,

Thanks for writing us with your feedback!

1. sometimes after unlocking, the 1password app window just stays white and nothing happens. I have to close it and reopen and unlock again.

That's not common in the version you're using. We've had issues with this a month ago in a much earlier version. Still, we're constantly working on stability improvements and the soon to be released new beta will be faster and more stable.

1. I'm using with Chrome. Seems like it does not detect when I create a new password? On Lastpass (and also 1password on OSX) if I create a new account on a site I'll get a popup asking me if I want to save it. This does not happen on Windows with 1password. Kind of a dealbreaker. Any ETA of when this will be fixed?

This feature is bound to be added to the app very soon. At the moment we're concentrating on making the core of the app stable and improve responsiveness. Filling already works and is getting constant improvements. Auto-Save is at the top of our to do list.

1. Not a big deal but minor bug. When I click on Email Us in the settings menu, a new Chrome blank window opens up and a new explorer window with diagnostic folder.

This feature is mainly meant for sending in diagnostics reports. Just like a few other things, with the next beta it will see some major changes. I'm not sure why Chrome opens, though. I have a feeling that Chrome might be configured as the default email client on your PC. You can check this in the PC Settings.

I hope this helps.

@edgrsanchez We would like nothing more than to offer a Microsoft Edge to our users but there are a few technical hurdles that prevent us from doing so right now. We are hoping to add this sooner rather than later. Until then, please use the 1Password browser extension in Chrome, Firefox, or Opera.

Cheers you two and have a great weekend!

Alex

• mzaurov
    mzaurov
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the reply. Really hope you add the feature of detecting new passwords soon. That's really crucial

Hopefully you guys are also planning to make it run in the background better? Or some option to only lock after a period of idle time, etc. like in the Mac version? I'm constantly retyping my password which is really annoying :/

• Hi guys,

I've moved this to our Windows Beta forum, as this is related to the 1Password 6 Beta app.

Really hope you add the feature of detecting new passwords soon. That's really crucial

We do agree, it is one of our top priorities. We just have to take sure the app is ready to accept new data from the extension before we can implement the auto-save support. We're getting close and hope to have an update soon on this.

Hopefully you guys are also planning to make it run in the background better?

Yes, we're making progress in that direction to be identical to the macOS version, where it has the Keep 1Password mini running all the time option. In the recent updates to 1Password 6 Beta for Windows, we've added an option to auto-start 1Password when you sign in to your Windows account. If you're running 6.0.199d update now, open 1Password, unlock, and click on Settings on top right to select Options. In General, you should see the option to start 1Password when you start Windows.

If you select Security options, you can adjust the auto-lock timer. Right now, 1Password only monitors your activity in the main app window. It doesn't have a global idle tracking system because we want to avoid this as it will slow down your system if we implement it. Instead, in future updates, we'll extend this to tracking your activities in the 1Password mini and 1Password extension as well as adding a more flexible time schedule, so you can go up to several hours before it auto-locks on its own.

• kmfuse87
    kmfuse87
    Community Member
    Options

I've experienced very similar issues to mzaurov in addition to the following two:

1) Some of the sites I use need three data points to login (company id, user name, password). Is there a way to add a third line or something to 1Pass 6 on windows 10? If not, is there a way to get one pass to load the data is has and then not hit "go" because then the site clears all the data and I have to go manually copy the information from 1Pass into the site.

2) The feature where 1Pass sits in my taskbar is really nice. However, when I right click on a password it gives the option to Copy but then when I hover it says that there is nothing in the vault. If I could copy passwords quickly through this method it would make 1 (above) a bit less painful.

I will keep posting things as I see them.

• mzaurov
    mzaurov
    Community Member
    Options

Hi MikeT,

Thanks for the response! What you wrote definitely makes sense, and thanks for letting me know about the security options. I don't know how I missed that. I was thinking, could you make it so that the program minimizes instead of closing when you X out of the main window? Alot of programs have this behavior, and I've been trying to teach myself to minimize instead of Xing out, but I still do it sometimes accidently and then have to login again.

It doesn't have a global idle tracking system because we want to avoid this as it will slow down your system if we implement it.

I don't know if you're familiar with BOINC, but I have that running in the background for folding. It has a setting where it turns on only after the computer has been idle for a period of time. It uses very little resources and doesn't slow down my computer at all. I'm not a programmer by any means, and I don't know how they do it, but I just wanted to let you know about this possibility

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Excellent suggestions! I've had some reliability issues with folding apps in that regard, but it's definitely something we can consider. The main concern is that if folding happens at the wrong time, it isn't the end of the world; but if 1Password doesn't lock reliably it's a huge security risk. So we definitely need to prioritize that. We may very well add the windowing behaviour you're asking for. That was an option previously in 1Password, so it may be that you're not alone and others miss that as well. Thanks for the feedback! :)

• Hi guys,

@kmfuse87,

Is there a way to add a third line or something to 1Pass 6 on windows 10?

Not yet, we plan to add support for saving your Logins via 1Password extension soon. This would analyze the site's login forms for better filling accuracy next time. Unfortunately, I don't have a timeframe on this.

If not, is there a way to get one pass to load the data is has and then not hit "go" because then the site clears all the data and I have to go manually copy the information from 1Pass into the site.

For now, you need to turn off auto-submit until we add the ability to selectively turn it off per item. You can do this via Settings > Options > Browser, de-select Automatically submit logins after filling.

However, when I right click on a password it gives the option to Copy but then when I hover it says that there is nothing in the vault.

This is for copying items to another vault like in the main 1Password app.

We have plans to let you copy username/password/TOTP in a future update for 1Password mini and also, the ability to view your item's details, so you can copy anything you want.

By the way, you can also press Control + Alt + \ anywhere and 1Password mini will pop up waiting for you.

@mzaurov,

I was thinking, could you make it so that the program minimizes instead of closing when you X out of the main window?

Yes, once we add the option for Keep 1Password mini running all the time, closing the app window will simply dismiss the window rather than closing the app completely.

• kmfuse87
    kmfuse87
    Community Member
    Options

Some other things I have noticed in the last few weeks:

1) The extension in Chrome doesn't open immediately once unlocked. What I mean is I click the extension, it shows the lock screen with one click. I put my password in, it disappears and opens the desktop app. I close/minimize the desktop app to try and use the extension. Once back in my browser, I click the extension and the window shows and disappears in a split second each time a click. Happens 3 to maybe even 5 times before it will stay on the screen for me then to choose my login and it populate the login fields.

2) Haphazardly throughout the day the desktop app will just show up. I won't be using it, won't use the keyboard shortcuts and it will just appear and I will end up typing the rest of the sentence into the password field.

Those are the only things I've noticed since my last post.

Kevin

• Hi @kmfuse87,

Both issues will be addressed in the next update, thanks for letting us know!

• kmfuse87
    kmfuse87
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Mike,

After the update, the 1Pass extension in Chrome isn't working right. So when I click the button, it thinks I am clicking my gmail button and goes to open my email which is four icons to the left. I have no idea why it's doing that but figured I'd let you know so you can have a look.

Thanks
    Kevin

• MikeT
    edited October 2016
    Options

Hi @kmfuse87,

To focus the 1Password mini, we send a mouse click event to the middle top of the 1Password mini window, so it stays on top. This would start from the right side of your mouse cursor on top of the 1Password icon, I don't know why it would go to the left in the first place unless the 1Password button is on the rightmost edge of your monitor? If you resize Chrome and put it in the middle where 1Password button isn't on the edge, does it seem like it is now clicking to the right?

This sounds like Windows isn't waiting for 1Password mini to open before it triggers the click.

Can you confirm you're using the default Windows theme with no customization changes and/or no Windows customization tools?

• kmfuse87
    kmfuse87
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Mike

Yes that works, so it seems what you're estimating could be true. I am running the default windows theme here, no customizations at all.

Kevin

• Hi @kmfuse87,

When you said it works, do you mean 1Password mini is behaving normally or do you mean 1Password mini is still not showing up and it clicks on the desktop as I've guessed?

Could you email us at support+windowsbeta@agilebits.com with the link to this thread, we'd like you to try something for us as we're not sure why you're the only one seeing this at the moment.

Thanks!

• kmfuse87
    kmfuse87
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Mike,

When I resized the windows, it worked flawlessly. It could be that I am working on another monitor with my browser and the scaling from windows 10 isn't working exactly right? Either way, just emailed that address. Happy to help.

Thanks
    Kevin

• MikeT
    edited October 2016
    Options

Hi @kmfuse87,

Oh yea, that could be the problem, Windows may be sending the wrong click location if the 1Password mini opens up in an unexpected location due to scaling or monitor location.

So, to be clear, if you have Chrome on the rightmost of a monitor's boundary, 1Password mini doesn't show up and you see a click on the gmail button. However if you give it a bit more free space on the right, it works fine?

Can you try with just one monitor to see if it shows the same problem? I have one monitor but it doesn't show this issue for me.

Unfortunately, I don't think any of us have a dual-monitor setup, so we'll try to figure out how to reproduce this. Maybe I can convince the company to buy me a monitor to "test" this. :smile:

• kmfuse87
    kmfuse87
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Mike:

"So, to be clear, if you have Chrome on the rightmost of a monitor's boundary, 1Password mini doesn't show up and you see a click on the gmail button. However if you give it a bit more free space on the right, it works fine?" Just about right, I can see the extension but when I am fully expanded and click on it - it goes to my gmail. Once I reduce it's size and give it more room, the extension clicks fine on both screens and when I go to one screen

I have other issues with the scaling because it seems my windows 10 graphics card is ahead of it's time with most of the software other systems are running.

Let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

• Hi @kmfuse87,

Thanks for the details, that is very helpful. We'll investigate this further and see if we can figure out what's going on.

Are you using a nVidia card by any chance? If yes, are you using nVidia's Surround feature for the multiple monitor setups?

• kmfuse87
    kmfuse87
    Community Member
    Options

Sure, no problem! I am not, I am using the Intel HD Graphics 520.

• Hi @kmfuse87,

Are you using the default Windows drivers for it or did you install Intel's graphics software separately?

• roar714
    roar714
    Community Member
    Options

OK, so I've put on the current (trial) version for Win 10 on laptop and desktop units and loaded my stuff from the current 1Pass 4 Win purchased in 2015. The v6 automatically opens unlocked when I open the app, no master password required. I expect I could figure it out eventually but I'm too old for it and I don't use Win enough. So, how do I turn on require master password when opening the Win v6? I also assume there is no way to sync the Windows 1Password vault to iCloud, where my iOS devices do, and that I must do the laborious change the sync on iOS to Dropbox and then sync the Windows machines to Dropbox. Thx.

• roar714
    roar714
    Community Member
    Options

Addendum. Checking around a bit I guess I just don't understand how 1Password 6 Win interacts with iOS 1Password. Does each update a common cloud database under agilebits.com? Having bought the 1P v4 for Win and having to use wifi or Dropbox to sync across Win and iOS I didn't consider that 1P 6 might be updating a web based file directly. Therefore the preceding question. Where is the best comprehensive description of 1P 6 two user (non-team) subscription working together with iPhones using 1P Pro?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

OK, so I've put on the current (trial) version for Win 10 on laptop and desktop units and loaded my stuff from the current 1Pass 4 Win purchased in 2015. The v6 automatically opens unlocked when I open the app, no master password required. I expect I could figure it out eventually but I'm too old for it and I don't use Win enough. So, how do I turn on require master password when opening the Win v6?

@roar714: 1Password doesn't have an automatic unlock feature. It sounds like you've already unlocked it when you first opened it, closed the window, and then when you open the window again (the icon is still in the notification area because it's running) it hasn't locked yet:

Closing the window does not close or lock 1Password. You can quit 1Password completely by right-clicking the icon. You an also adjust the autolock feature in Settings (the "gear" icon) > Options > Security:

I also assume there is no way to sync the Windows 1Password vault to iCloud, where my iOS devices do, and that I must do the laborious change the sync on iOS to Dropbox and then sync the Windows machines to Dropbox. Thx.

On Apple devices, we can use CloudKit to sync 1Password data, but this is not available on Windows. Dropbox, however, is available on all platforms for syncing. More on this...

Addendum. Checking around a bit I guess I just don't understand how 1Password 6 Win interacts with iOS 1Password. Does each update a common cloud database under agilebits.com? Having bought the 1P v4 for Win and having to use wifi or Dropbox to sync across Win and iOS I didn't consider that 1P 6 might be updating a web based file directly. Therefore the preceding question. Where is the best comprehensive description of 1P 6 two user (non-team) subscription working together with iPhones using 1P Pro?

Indeed, the new 1Password 6 Windows desktop app is only needed in order to use 1Password Accounts with the new subscription service. While we'll be adding it in the future, ocal vaults are not yet supported, but 1Password 4 works with those if you prefer that setup.

However, you may want to consider a 1Password subscription, since it will give you access to all of the apps and do away with license management and sync configuration altogether — you simply login to your account to authorize a device and access your data:

https://1password.com/sign-up/

Otherwise it's best to stick with 1Password 4 and Dropbox so you can sync your vault between all your devices. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• roar714
    roar714
    Community Member
    Options

Addendum 2. I see now that I have two components (vaults?) in Win 10 1P 6 trial and in iOS. One is that which I've been using since buying in 2015 which is identified (in Win) as "Dropbox " which has all my items and the other is identified as " Personal" which has zero items. The latter was formed, I assume, when I got the trial today. I need only one vault. How do I move or copy the existing items into the new .com vault and torch the old Dropbox/iCloud version(s)?

I notice that on iOS the two vaults are named: "Primary" and " Personal" as opposed to the above on Win 10 (Edge).

Oh, and the issue originally identified -- auto open from unlocked -- is apparently resolved.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2016
    Options

@roar714: The "Primary" vault is always part of a 1Password Account; "Primary" is always a local vault. On Windows, it sounds like your "Dropbox" vault is the former, since 1Password 4 only works with a single (local) vault at a time. Just follow this guide to move your data from your Primary vault to the Personal vault:

https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/

Let me know if there's anything else I can help with! :)

• roar714
    roar714
    Community Member
    Options

Very helpful. Thank you.

• On behalf of Brenty, you're welcome.

• geodbz
    geodbz
    Community Member
    Options

2 questions:

1) When will keyboard shortcut support be coming for Windows 10? It's super frustrating to constantly have to right click on items in 1 Password 6 to copy the password whereas on my mac, I simply hit "cmd+shift+c" and get a copied password :(

2) Any plans to support Box as a cloud syncing platform?

Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@geodbz: The new 1Password 6 Windows desktop app has supported keyboard shortcuts for filling and 1Password mini for a while now, but there may be a conflict on your system. Try setting a different one in 1Password Settings > Options > General and let me know if that helps! We don't currently have plans to support box.com. We need to focus on adding support for local vaults first. But it's certainly something we can consider in the future. :)

This discussion has been closed.