Trying to move away from Dropbox

Options
TexasTs
TexasTs
Community Member

I'm attempting to move my vault from Dropbox to icloud drive. When I go into 1password prefs and tell it to use iCloud, it attempts to log me in to icloud. Password is correct. Looks like it logs me in and then I get a spinning circle on both the webpage and in the pref pane for 1password. It will spin for HOURS. and then pfffft. nothing. Mac OS 10.11.6. 1Password 6 v6.3.2.
I started the process about 1200 noon today and left for a couple of hours. It was still spinning when I got back. Restarted both the Mac and 1password as well as my browser, which is Firefox btw.

There are 185 entries in my vault. Moving to icloud prompted me to pare the entries down a bit. Should clean house a bit more often I think. There were over 225 entries when I started I think. Was hoping this was going to be (somewhat seamless... However.)

Need some help please.

tom hynds

1Password Version: 6.3.2
Extension Version: 4.5.9
OS Version: OSX 10.11.6
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2016
    Options

Hi @TexasTs,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having some trouble syncing with iCloud. It looks like you've tried the main suggestions we'd have for you, so I'd like to ask you to please create a Diagnostics Report, if you can while you're in the middle of the problem. This will give us some more information and help us figure out what's going on :chuffed:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the Diagnostics Report(s) to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report(s) in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report(s) in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report(s) and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• TexasTs
    TexasTs
    Community Member
    Options

Well Pilar, I tried it with Safari late last night and it finished up in 2 minutes. Success. Something about firefox... All is well. Thanks for the reply though.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @TexasTs

I'm glad to hear that you found a way around it and that it's all working and going smoothly for you now! I don't know if we'll know what exactly caused the problem originally, but if you see any other weird behaviour with Firefox please let us know so we can investigate. If there's anything else that we can help you with, please let us know, we're always here for you :chuffed:

• TexasTs
    TexasTs
    Community Member
    Options

Okay, having the issue with Firefox AGAIN after updating to the latest 1password. I really wish you folks would work these thing out before you push an upgrade out.

Is this piece of software (1password) going to work with Firefox for iCloud? Ever? Is it on your end? Or Mozilla? Or Apple? Seems a bit ridiculous that I have to change default browsers every time y'all push an update out.

• eva_s
    eva_s
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @TexasTs,

I'm not entirely sure I understand what you are having issues with? Are you having to reauthenticate with iCloud after an update? Did you update the app or the browser extension? The more you can tell us about exactly what the issue is the better we will be able to help you resolve it.

If you prefer, you can send us an email with a Diagnostics Report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the Diagnostics Report(s) to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report(s) in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report(s) in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report(s) and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

With some additional detail about the problem you are seeing and the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

Best,
    Eva

• TexasTs
    TexasTs
    Community Member
    Options

That is exactly the issue. I use Firefox as my default browser. After every 1password update icloud credentials need to be authenticated or the sync will not take place. It has to be done on two macs, an ipad and an iphone. The latter two are not the issue. I click the button to redo icloud sign in. 1password opens a new window or tab in your default browser. And in Firefox it just hangs. Nothing happens. As soon as I change the default browser to Safari and click the link to re-authenticate, Safari opens and goes to the log in Page for icloud. As soon as I enter my credentials it goes back to 1Password and syncs.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @TexasTs

Thank you for the extra details that you've given us. Could you please send us the Diagnostics Report as Eva suggested earlier? That will give us some input into what's going on with 1Password so we're able to sort all this out! We'll be waiting for your email :chuffed:

• TexasTs
    TexasTs
    Community Member
    Options

Uh... Not sure how I could be clearer about what is gong on with firefox as a default browser. This is not about the extensions at all. When I update the APP, I have to re-authenticate icloud credentials. When I click the link to do so IN THE APP, it opens the icloud logon page in whatever your default browser is, in my case it is Firefox. Once I enter my credentials in the form at icloud.com, the page seemingly just hangs. And the APP does not complete authentication.

If I change my default browser to Safari, the authentication proceeds smooth as silk.

Cannot really reproduce the error unless there is an update to the APP.

You can close this issue as far as I am concerned, I do not have the time nor inclination to expend further effort on this. I'll just make a note to myself to change my default browser to Safari before I update the 1Password program.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2016
    Options

Hi @TexasTs

Thank you for replying. I’m glad you have a workaround that does the trick for you for this issue, and I'm sorry we couldn’t get to the bottom of it. If at some point you’d like us to dig deeper in the future, sending us a Diagnostics Report would be helpful for starting that process. You can find the instructions on the posts above :chuffed:

I hope 1Password behaves well for you, if you need help with anything else we're always here to assist you!

This discussion has been closed.