What should I uninstall to continue with Beta 6 for Windows?

Options
nhDOBsfc
nhDOBsfc
Community Member

Greetings,

Background. I have been using 1Password for years, most recently I used 1Password 4 for Windows. I also use 1Password 6 (latest version) on Android. Until recently, I was synchronizing through Dropbox. I use Windows 10 with the Anniversary Update on my desktop and laptop. I use 1Password 6 for Android on two devices: (1) a Google Nexus 6 and (2) a Google Nexus 6P. My Google Nexus Android devices have not yet received the Nougat over the air update, but it is normal for a Google the over-the-air update rollout to come some weeks after the press launch. I let Google keep my two Nexus devices up to date, so they have all the latest pre-Nougat patches. I know I could side-load Nougat early via the Google Beta program, but I try to avoid beta software. On Windows 10, I use Google Chrome exclusively with 1Password Beta 6, or try to. There have been a few times when 1Password launched Microsoft Edge, despite my 1Password configuration settings, but that was several beta updates ago, and has not recurred recently. I install all the patches that roll out through 1Password Beta 6 for Windows.

Unwilling Beta Participant. I don't really want to be using Beta software, but using 1Password Windows Beta 6 became unavoidable when I attempted to follow the AgileBits-instruction entitled "How to switch to the OPVault format from Agile Keychain" at https://support.1password.com/switch-to-opvault/ . Following the "How to switch to the OPVault format from Agile Keychain" forced me to reset synchronization on my two Android devices, which forced me to create a 1Password online account. Thereafter, my Android devices begin syncing via the 1Password website instead of via Dropbox. So, I had to install 1Password Beta 6 for Windows 10 in order to keep my two Windows devices (desktop and laptop) syncing with my two Android devices.

The 1Password Beta 6 for Windows is actually pretty good, in my humble opinion. So, while I didn't really want to use a beta version, now that I am here, I don't really want to roll back. So, don't bother spilling a lot of ink telling me how to roll back, while retaining synchronization with my two Android devices, even if that is possible.

What I have done so far, after reading this forum for a few days, is to uninstall my old 1Password 4 for Windows, because one of the threads here noted that the interaction between 1Password 4 and 6 for Windows was causing some conflicts. This may have been fixed already, but I don't really want to reinstall 1Password 4 even if it has been fixed.

What I want to know now, is whether I should uninstall the Windows-7-8-10-compatible version of 1Password 6 for Windows. I started on my 1Password 6 for Windows journey with the Windows-7-8-10-compatible version, but I have now discovered the 1Password for Windows 10 App by reading these forums. The 1Password-Chrome-Browser-Plug-In launches the Windows-7-8-10-compatible-1Password application sometimes, even though I am now only launching the 1Password-Windows-10-App. Also, should I use a different 1Password-Chrome-Browser-Plug-In? I currently use the 1Password-Chrome-Browser-Plug-In that came with the Windows-7-8-10-compatible-1Password application. I did not see a 1Password-Chrome-Browser-Plug-In bundled with the 1Password-Windows-10-App, and I cannot tell if the automatic Beta updates for the Windows-7-8-10-compatible-1Password application update the 1Password-Chrome-Browser-Plug-In also, or if Google Chrome keeps updates pushed out for the 1Password-Chrome-Browser-Plug-In.

Thank you, and I look forward to the full release of 1Password 6 for Windows.

P.S. Is the 1Password-Windows-10-App in Beta also, or is it at full release status?

Comments

• Hi @nhDOBsfc,

The short answer is stick with the desktop version of 1Password 6 Beta or what you've called Windows 7-8.1-10-compatible version. This is more frequently updated and the most powerful version of 1Password 6 Beta right now, also the only version that support browser extensions.

We only recommend using the Universal Windows Platform / Windows 10 Store (UWP) version of 1Password for Windows 10 mobile devices, not desktop. This is a beta version, we can't rename existing apps in the Windows Store, basically, we can't change 1Password 6 Beta to 1Password 6 when it is ready, same for 1Password 6 to 1Password 7 in the future. Thus, it made sense to just leave it 1Password and list the beta description. We will be updating this soon but the priority is on the desktop version for now because it reaches most of our users.

Only the web browsers can update the extensions for you, programs are not allowed to manage your extensions like updating it. In this case, it is Chrome that'll update 1Password extensions for you in the background.

Thanks for writing down your detailed experience, we're really sadden to read it because the last thing we wanted to do is force anyone to use our 1Password.com service. We are being a bit aggressive with showing 1Password.com account option first for the new customers because it does provide a better experience for most but it is not considering the current users who just want to use the local OPVault files. If you ever want to roll back, let us know and we'll be here to help.

• nhDOBsfc
    nhDOBsfc
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, @MikeT,

Then I will just uninstall the Universal Windows Platform / Windows 10 Store (UWP) App, and go with the desktop version of 1Password 6 Beta full time.

By the way, I created my username "nhDOBsfc" using the 1Password random passwords generator (I use stronger settings for passwords)

All the best,

• Hi @nhDOBsfc,

That's a smart strategy, make sure you do the same for email addresses if you have an email service that support aliasing. That way, if you're on any site that may get breached, the email/username addresses won't be linked to you or to any other data breaches.

You're welcome.

• nhDOBsfc
    nhDOBsfc
    Community Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

@MikeT,

You wrote: "Only the web browsers can update the extensions for you, programs are not allowed to manage your extensions like updating it. In this case, it is Chrome that'll update 1Password extensions for you in the background."

Okay, well I got curious and manually updated my 1Password Chrome Extension. I then deleted an old 1Password extension that seemed to be for 1Password 4.

I am currently running "1Password Beta 4.6.0.2" ... "1Password extension for Google Chrome."

Edit: I am also currently running 1Password 6 Beta Desktop 6.0.207d.

Question. What are the advantages and disadvantages of checking the box "Allow access to file URLs" in the "1Password extension for Google Chrome" ?

• MikeT
    edited September 2016
    Options

Hi @nhDOBsfc,

The 1Password extension version is not related to the main 1Password program version, there is only one extension that works for 1Password 4-6 for Windows and macOS. The latest version for the 1Password extension is 4.5.9 stable and beta version is 4.6.0 Beta 2.

Question. What are the advantages and disadvantages of checking the box "Allow access to file URLs" in the "1Password extension for Google Chrome" ?

No advantages, it can run fine without that permission. Chrome added that checkbox without us asking for it but we'll see if we can remove it in a future update.

This discussion has been closed.