Time Capsule

I have started to keep all my documents on my Time Capsule and not on the local drive. I would like to use Knox on the Time Capsule. It does run but very sluggish. Any suggestions?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@Steve_H: The only remedy for this is a faster connection: ethernet or, failing that, a newer Wi-Fi standard. Of course, it will depend a bit on the data you're storing in the Knox vault, but mine are typically rather large with a lot of files — often fairly large themselves — and reading that over a network connection can definitely be sluggish. I notice slow performance even for those I have stored on an SD card in my Mac.

So really the best option is to store any data you need to read/write frequently on a local drive. A network drive is best used for infrequently used files and backups, since performance is less important with those. I hope this helps! :)

• Thanks, I was trying to not have to run the cable but I can if I just cannot take it. The reason for the move is that in the new OS, coming next week, it seems that Apple wants to store infrequently used files up on iCloud. I did not beta this time around so I don't know if I will be able to still use iCloud for the stuff I want but definitely not let Apple put files up there.

• I am not picking on Apple here, Microsoft is no better with their OneDrive. It appears that the only way to keep the boys from doing what they think is best, and makes them more money, is to keep files on an external drive/server. :-)

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@Steve_H: Well, I know you can simply not use OneDrive on Windows if you don't want to. An easy way to do this is never login. And while I am not certain of the details, I believe that you can disable this feature in macOS (at the very least, you can turn off syncing Documents and Desktop with iCloud).

And most of all, you'd really want to keep your vault offline anyway. Not because of security (it's encrypted, after all), but for the aforementioned performance reasons. If you think accessing it on your Time Capsule is slow, trying doing it over the internet. ;)

• Thanks for the info. Guess I will find out later this month. :-) I'll let you know what can and cannot be done regarding this little issue. Have a great one.

• brentybrenty

Team Member

Any time! Cheers! :chuffed: :+1:

This discussion has been closed.