Edit, Log In, Windows 10, Helper

Options

HELP! I NEED ASSISTANCE! I am not very tech savvy. I have been using 1 password for a couple years now, and like it very much. I have my vault in dropbox. But when I updated my laptop to Windows 10 ver 1607 and updated 1 password to ver 6.0 214d... It got all messed up.

Here are some of the issues:

I installed the chrome extension. It seems to work, I can click the little 1 symbol in the circle and the 1password window opens up, but I do get a message that says that the "helper" is not working or not installed (i dont remember exactly what it said). I tried to do some things to reinstall the helper, but when I open chrome settings and look for the extension, I dont see the helper as I used to. I dont know what to do about that.

I the past, I could just open my open password by clicking the 1 with the circle in chrome, and then click "open 1 password" and see all my log ins and secure notes, and then I could click on a secure note and edit the note. I no longer can edit a note or a log in... I dont know what happened or what to do.

I then logged into agile support using my support password, and I read about signing into 1 password on the web? I dont know what that means but I clicked the "open 1 password" button and a page comes up asking for the following:

Sign In Address -- I dont know what that is, but i just entered my name
Account key - I had the original email you guys sent me with the account key, so I tried that
Email address - I plugged in my email address
Master password - I plugged in my master password

I got a message that said that the account key was wrong. I found a place to ask for me account key, an i retired it with the key you sent me, but it still didnt work. Im not even sure it would have worked because I dont klnow what my sign in address is.

But once I do sign, where does this sign in take me?

I am so frustrated that I cant even find an email or phone number to call someone to get some help. When I click options there is a button that says "e-mail". I click this button, but all that comes up is a "event log". What do I do with this? Why doesn't an email address come up that I can use to email you as the button says I can do?

I would also like to know how I can print out all my logins. I would like a paper back up as I dont trust what is going on with my account, and I am concerned about losing everything.

Please carefully answer all these questions and give me an email to respond to your reply to me.

Thank you very much!

Leo Damian

1Password Version: 6.0 214d
Extension Version: 4.5.9.90
OS Version: windows 10 1607
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Leo123: Sorry for the trouble! I hope you don't mind, but I've moved your post out of the Apple Watch category of the forums and into the Windows category so it doesn't get overlooked, since it sounds like that's where you're having issues.

First and foremost, we don't actually have any accounts registered under your email address. It sounds like you may be trying to login to the new 1Password Windows beta app with a 1Password Account, but it doesn't appear that you have one. These are only used (Account Key, URL, etc.) if you subscribe to 1Password Families (or Teams), or signed up for an individual subscription plan. So if you don't have a 1Password Account, it would be best if to continue using 1Password 4:

1Password download

That will not only be more familiar to you, but most importantly, you'll be able to use your existing 1Password vaults there. The new beta is currently focused on support for 1Password Accounts. Just uninstall the beta, install 1Password 4 from the link above, and you should be back to what you're used to.

Regarding printing, this isn't recommended since that means all of your data is unencrypted and ripe for the taking. However, if you're intent on doing that, you can go to 1Password File > Export to save it and then print it using an editor of your choice. Just be sure to securely destroy the file afterward, and keep those dead trees in a secure location like a safe!

If you still have questions and prefer email, just write to us at support@agilebits.com and be sure to include a link to this discussion for context. We'll get this sorted out for you! :)

• Leo123
    Leo123
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Brently,
    Thank you for your comments. Do I need to be concerned with the "helper"? If I need the helper, where do i get it? Is there any reason I should not use what I have installed right now? I like the format. If it does the same as the older version, id like to use it. Does signing up for 1Password families benefit me in the future?

Again thank you for your patience with me!

Leo

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Leo123: Likewise, I appreciate your patience while we work out what might work best for you. Great questions!

1Password Helper is the part of 1Password that runs in the background to facilitate integration with the web browser. This is built into the desktop apps, so it isn't anything extra you need to get — though you do need to have the app installed and running for it to work.

You should only use the beta if you're comfortable running prerelease software and you're using a 1Password Account. As I mentioned, the new app is targeted at the subscription service (since the previous version cannot work with that). It has only read-only support for local vaults, whereas the previous version (4) is more mature and supports local (non-1Password Account) vaults fully.

1Password Families is a huge benefit if you'd like to share data with your loved ones and give them access to all of the apps as well. Otherwise an individual plan might be better. In either case, you won't have to manage licenses or sync setup; you simply login to your account on each device to access your data.

But if you already have the licenses and setup you need, it may be best to stick with 1Password 4 since it's stable and fully featured. And then perhaps in the future the subscription service may make more sense. But if you're not sure, you can always take advantage of the free trial. Let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• Leo123
    Leo123
    Community Member
    Options

I purchased the 2.99 plan and now have access to my new 1password program. When I click the 1 with circle at the end of the URL line at the top of my chrome browser, it takes me to my passwords. I dont know where to go to get to the web based access to my account so I can edit my passwords. I also stiull got a momentary message regarding "helper". Not sure if that is a concern. When i access my 1password app it shows a liitle bar that says that I have completed 1 of 3 tasks , i believe... There is a button to download the dektop app, but I think I have already done that, because When I click the circle the new app format comes up. The next tasks are to download a picture or something.. are these steps necessary? Sorry about the rambling questions, but please fill me in on these questions

• Leo123
    Leo123
    Community Member
    Options

I see that I may have to export my vault then import my vault. I dont have 1password 4 on my computer, so how do I export? I can open my vault using 6 and I see all my passwords. Confused

• Leo123
    Leo123
    Community Member
    Options

I wish there was a phone number to call and get some help. Would be so much easier if someone could talk us through this. I would be willing to pay a service fee to get a human being on the phone.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Leo123: I'm sorry for the trouble. We are a small company, so we don't have a callcenter with "operators standing by"; and we've found it's simply easier to provide the instructions so you can follow them step by step when it's convenient for you. For example, it is impossible to receive a Diagnostics Report over the phone, and following steps at your own pace is a huge advantage of forum and email support. But of course if you would prefer email support, you can email us instead — it is the same team of people replying both here and via email, but if you prefer email, please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum username so that we can "connect the dots".

And I'm sorry for the confusion there! Unfortunately without some basic information it's difficult for me to answer definitively, but it sounds like you're referring to the Quests in the 1Password.com web interface. When you setup your account, it's important to save a copy of your Emergency Kit. Without your full 1Password Account credentials (email, URL, Account Key, and Master Password), you cannot access your account, and the last thing any of us wants is to get locked out. Make sure you save these in a safe place. The Account Key and Master Password in particular are never transmitted, so you are the only one who has them. We cannot give them to you if you lose them.

It sounds like all you need to do is open your existing vault in the new app and copy your data to your new 1Password Account. No need to export or import anything: the new app can read the vault you were already using. Just follow these steps:

Migrate to a 1Password Account

I hope this helps. If you get stuck, just let me know where you're running into trouble and we'll go from there! :)

• Leo123
    Leo123
    Community Member
    Options

Ok - but when you say, "no need to export or import anything" I dont understand. the instructions you have me go to, specifically have me going to 1password 4, exporting the vault, then opening 6 and importing. When I open 6 right now I already see my vault, but I can not edit anything. Do I still need to do as the instructions say, and export from 4? If I dont, then how do I get to be able to edit my passwords thgat I see when I open ver 6?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Leo123: Sorry for the confusion! Since you already have your local 1Password vault open in 1Password 6, that's even easier. Thanks for letting me know you've done that already!

1Password 6 cannot edit local vaults, but you can copy the data over to your 1Password Account. First, make sure you're logged into your 1Password Account in 1Password 6:

1. Go to 1Password Settings ("gear" icon) > Accounts & Vaults > Sign into 1Password Account
    2. Go to All Vaults (top left) and select your local vault
    3. Press Ctrl A to select all of the items there
    4. Right-click and select Copy Item > (vault in your 1Password Account, probably Personal)

You can remove your local vault from 1Password 6, but do not delete it. Did you save any attachments in 1Password 4? Let me know how it turns out!

• Leo123
    Leo123
    Community Member
    Options

Ok - I went to my laptop that has the 1password 6 on it. I clicked the 1 with a circle to the right of the google chrome url bar. When I click this I have the following: A box that has a search line. A 1 with a circle on the left which if I click has the following drop down list: All vaults, Leo Damian, Personal, Dropbox, 1password -- all these in decending order. On the right side of the original box there is a little gear icon. If I click the gear I see: Options, Lock, Open 1password, 1password 6.0222d.
    In between the original circle with the 1 in it and the gear, there is a box with a scroll down list of all my passwords of websites.

If I click on the "Open 1password" under the little gear, i see the following: a bigger box opens up with "all vaults" on the upper right hand corner. I have my list of passwords show up and my secure notes. I can not edit these passwords or entries as I used to be able to under 1password4.

Your notes above state to go to "all vaults" and click ctrl A then copy.

I tried doing this in the places I thought I should be doing it, but I dont think Im doing anything. Even If I do successfully copy something, I dont know where I am pasting this copied information to, nor do I understand where doi I finally see a place where I can access the information, and be able to edit passwords.

This system of typing back and forth is horribly inefficient. It is taking me days and days to get something Im sure is very simple to do.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Leo123: Thanks for getting back to me! It certainly helps to have a clear picture of things.

Ok - I went to my laptop that has the 1password 6 on it. I clicked the 1 with a circle to the right of the google chrome url bar. When I click this I have the following: A box that has a search line.

This is 1Password mini, which is a more compact version of 1Password that you can use in your browser. It's mainly used for searching and filling login credentials though, so you'll need to open the main 1Password app to migrate your data.

If I click on the "Open 1password" under the little gear, i see the following: a bigger box opens up with "all vaults" on the upper right hand corner. I have my list of passwords show up and my secure notes. I can not edit these passwords or entries as I used to be able to under 1password4. Your notes above state to go to "all vaults" and click ctrl A then copy.

That's it! You're almost there! In this main 1Password window, you can manage your vaults. The local vault cannot be edited, but you can copy your data from it into your 1Password Account. There you will be able to edit as well. Please follow these steps:

1. Open the main 1Password app ("Open 1Password" from within 1Password mini in Chrome, for example)
    2. Click the rainbow "All Vaults" icon in the upper left
    3. If you only see a single vault listed there, click the "gear" icon in the upper right and go to Accounts & Vaults > Sign in to 1Password Account and login
    4. If you see more than one vault listed, click the one that does not belong to the 1Password Account with your name/email
    5. Click on a single item in the list in the middle of the window, and then press Ctrl A to Select All
    6. Right-click the selection, go to Copy Item, and then click the vault you want to copy them to (probably "Personal" under your 1Password Account name/email)

This may take some time depending on how many items you have. Once your data is in your 1Password Account we can go from there. :)

• Leo123
    Leo123
    Community Member
    Options

I cant tell if I'm log into my account or not! Sometimes the little gear has a drop down menu, sometimes it doesnt. Right now if I click on the cirlce with the 1 in it to the right of the chrome url, a box opens up to give me the password to agilebits forum (where I am right now) but nothing happens if I click the gear or the circle with the 1 in it. If I open another tab,then the whole list of my passwords open up. If I open a new tab and right click on the circle with a 1 in it to the right of the chrome URL, then ave a choice of clicking 1password:password manager and secure wallet. this takes me to a website to sign in. It took me to a website and sign in page where you enter the sign in address, email, the A3#, and my password. I cant image that I need to do that every time I want to change an entry in one of my passwords.??? I also have the ability to right click on the circle with the 1 in it to the right of the chrome url, and then click "1password" which brings me to the mini page.

I'm so sorry If I am the only person in your whole world of customers who is having difficulty with this, and having difficulty getting simple questions answered, but I hope someday I'll be able to use this. I think the ability to use a web based location for my passwords is worth it to me because I have several locations I would like to access my 1 password, and currently the only way I do it is by opening up 1password on my phone and simply writing down the password needed. I believe having the online version of this will allow me to easily access my passwords form any computer - correct?

There must be a better way to offer customer service than this process. We have spent days to get to the bottom of this when it could have been explained in 10 minutes with someone sharing a screen, or on the phone.

• mohamedosman
    mohamedosman
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @Leo123 I'm really sorry for all the trouble you've been having getting things started. I know how frustrating things can get and I really want to make sure things go smoothly for you. Can you send me an email at "support+windows@agilebits.com". Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

Please let us know here when you've sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

• Leo123
    Leo123
    Community Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

Hi Mohamedosman,
    I emailed you regarding my questions.
    Thank you
    Leo Damian

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Great! I see that Mohamed has been in touch with you via email, so we'll continue the conversation there. Cheers! :)

ref: XMM-79796-492

• mohamedosman
    mohamedosman
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Leo123 I've edited your previous post to remove your email address.

This discussion has been closed.